It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Heavyweight boxing is good again and no one cares
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:06 am
Posts: 3898
Saw recaps of Joshua-Klitschko, what a great fight.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Heavyweight boxing is good again and no one cares
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:23 pm
Posts: 1050
Deontay Wilder would have destroyed Mike Tyson in his prime......


He is the best heavyweight I've ever seen......


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Heavyweight boxing is good again and no one cares
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:20 am
Posts: 4090
superk wrote:
Deontay Wilder would have destroyed Mike Tyson in his prime......


He is the best heavyweight I've ever seen......


Never heard of him.

I honestly believe that one thing that killed boxing was going to pay per view and HBO. Once it got there, many people who didn't want to pay quit watching. And people who might have become interested, never did because the big fights where never on regular TV.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Heavyweight boxing is good again and no one cares
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:13 pm
Posts: 2116
UFC is doing just fine with PPV only big fights.

The problem with boxing is that the biggest & best don't face each other. The Mayweather & Pacquiao fight took place about 5 years too late because Floyd wouldn't agree to terms, and by the time the fight happened both fighters were way past their prime.

Take a look at middleweight right now: Gennady Golovkin had been ducked by pretty much every major fighter in his weight class. Cotto even dropped his belt to avoid him. How is that good for the sport?

And don't even get me started on how boring Andre Ward fights are.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Heavyweight boxing is good again and no one cares
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:20 am
Posts: 4090
Pabst wrote:
UFC is doing just fine with PPV only big fights.



Maybe it's just me then? I never cared enough about these sports to PAY to see them. Although if it was on my regular TV I would of watched. I remember sometimes in the '70s and '80s they'd put some big fights on TV, and I'd watch. I also remember going to a party to watch a pay per view Mike Tyson fight, some Irish guy, maybe his name was Jerry McNamara or something? Lasted like 10 seconds, and I was like wow, they paid like $60 for this?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Heavyweight boxing is good again and no one cares
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:20 am
Posts: 4090
Pabst wrote:
UFC is doing just fine with PPV only big fights.

The problem with boxing is that the biggest & best don't face each other. The Mayweather & Pacquiao fight took place about 5 years too late because Floyd wouldn't agree to terms, and by the time the fight happened both fighters were way past their prime.

Take a look at middleweight right now: Gennady Golovkin had been ducked by pretty much every major fighter in his weight class. Cotto even dropped his belt to avoid him. How is that good for the sport?

And don't even get me started on how boring Andre Ward fights are.


See I don't even know who these people are? I see random matches on TV, and don't really watch, but never heard of the names. Like I said, I was never interested in the fighting sports, well... except hockey :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Heavyweight boxing is good again and no one cares
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:58 pm
Posts: 2035
Who cares about boxing or UFC?

I would watch if someone else bought the fights or they were on TV, but only big ones. If I want to watch a fight I'll go to a local bar.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Heavyweight boxing is good again and no one cares
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:13 pm
Posts: 2116
Steelcody36 wrote:
Who cares about boxing or UFC?

I would watch if someone else bought the fights or they were on TV, but only big ones. If I want to watch a fight I'll go to a local bar.


Allow me to save you some time - DO NOT order/watch the McGregor vs. Mayweather fight. It's going to be awful, and I'm amazed that people are buying into this hype.

You've got the most elusive boxer in history going up against a guy with 0 pro boxing experience. I'll be shocked if McGregor lands a clean punch.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Heavyweight boxing is good again and no one cares
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:58 pm
Posts: 2035
Pabst wrote:
Steelcody36 wrote:
Who cares about boxing or UFC?

I would watch if someone else bought the fights or they were on TV, but only big ones. If I want to watch a fight I'll go to a local bar.


Allow me to save you some time - DO NOT order/watch the McGregor vs. Mayweather fight. It's going to be awful, and I'm amazed that people are buying into this hype.

You've got the most elusive boxer in history going up against a guy with 0 pro boxing experience. I'll be shocked if McGregor lands a clean punch.


I agree, but if a friend orders it I'll watch out of curiosity.

I'm hopeful that McGregor's youth and balls will allow for a quick knockout. He knows Mayweather will kick his ass if the fight goes any length of time, so I expect a wild flurry of punches.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Heavyweight boxing is good again and no one cares
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:46 pm
Posts: 1201
superk wrote:
Deontay Wilder would have destroyed Mike Tyson in his prime......


He is the best heavyweight I've ever seen......


You're out of your mind.

_________________
Fire Tomlin.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Heavyweight boxing is good again and no one cares
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:58 pm
Posts: 2035
Watched Pac vs Horn since it was on ESPN.

FIXED AS HELL! Manny won that fight easily, especially after round 9. Absolutely corrupt sport. The only damage the kid did to Pac was with head butts.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Heavyweight boxing is good again and no one cares
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:13 pm
Posts: 2116
Steelcody36 wrote:
Watched Pac vs Horn since it was on ESPN.

FIXED AS HELL! Manny won that fight easily, especially after round 9. Absolutely corrupt sport. The only damage the kid did to Pac was with head butts.

Pacquiao landed 2x as many punches as Horn and after the 9th round the ref was threatening to stop the bout. Yet somehow one judge scored the fight 117-111. I hope corruption is involved because if not, that is just sheer mind-numbing stupidity.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Heavyweight boxing is good again and no one cares
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:58 pm
Posts: 2035
Pabst wrote:
Steelcody36 wrote:
Watched Pac vs Horn since it was on ESPN.

FIXED AS HELL! Manny won that fight easily, especially after round 9. Absolutely corrupt sport. The only damage the kid did to Pac was with head butts.

Pacquiao landed 2x as many punches as Horn and after the 9th round the ref was threatening to stop the bout. Yet somehow one judge scored the fight 117-111. I hope corruption is involved because if not, that is just sheer mind-numbing stupidity.


Oh it was so badly fixed that they should have to fight again!

Horn should lose his victory too, but it won't happen.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Heavyweight boxing is good again and no one cares
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:14 pm
Posts: 72
Now we have three legit fighters and we have 3 different platforms squaring off..Wilder (PBC/Showtime/Fox), Anthony Joshua (Eddie Hearn/DAZN) and Fury (TopRank/ESPN)... People still care about Heavyweight fights but only when they start to square off with each other. BTW damn shame Big Baby Miller is a cheat, because it was gonna be a great fight between him and AJ June 1st.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Heavyweight boxing is good again and no one cares
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:14 pm
Posts: 3653
Location: Upstate NY
SteelKnife wrote:
superk wrote:
Deontay Wilder would have destroyed Mike Tyson in his prime......


He is the best heavyweight I've ever seen......


You're out of your mind.



I was thinking this too and I don’t even know that guy. LoL.

I got to watch Mike Tyson in his prime and I find it hard to believe anyone would of destroyed that guy in his prime. A mean Fucking animal with rabies is how he came across knocking people out. Was the greatest boxing I ever got to witness. Oh, and fuck Holyfield and the ref for those bullshit headbutts and holds. I’m glad Mike bit that mother fucker because the ref nor Holyfield seem to care it kept happening.

_________________
#CdnSteelerFanStrong


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Heavyweight boxing is good again and no one cares
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 12:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:14 pm
Posts: 72
SteelThrillsseeker wrote:
SteelKnife wrote:
superk wrote:
Deontay Wilder would have destroyed Mike Tyson in his prime......


He is the best heavyweight I've ever seen......


You're out of your mind.



I was thinking this too and I don’t even know that guy. LoL.

I got to watch Mike Tyson in his prime and I find it hard to believe anyone would of destroyed that guy in his prime. A mean Fucking animal with rabies is how he came across knocking people out. Was the greatest boxing I ever got to witness. Oh, and fuck Holyfield and the ref for those bullshit headbutts and holds. I’m glad Mike bit that mother fucker because the ref nor Holyfield seem to care it kept happening.


Wilder has some serious power but is the most technically garbage fighter I've ever seen. Wilder would have gotten washed ten times over in the 90's by men like Ray Mercer, David Tua, Michael Moore.. Heck even Razor Rudduck/Tony Tubbs type of fighters


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Heavyweight boxing is good again and no one cares
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 3:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:12 pm
Posts: 5146
Pay per view didn’t kill boxing. A garbage heavyweight division along with the emergence of a more compelling alternative (UFC) did.

Boxing needs a dominant heavyweight. Have not had one in a long time. And nobody wants to pay good money to see hyped up JAGS.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Heavyweight boxing is good again and no one cares
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:14 pm
Posts: 72
955876 wrote:
Pay per view didn’t kill boxing. A garbage heavyweight division along with the emergence of a more compelling alternative (UFC) did.

Boxing needs a dominant heavyweight. Have not had one in a long time. And nobody wants to pay good money to see hyped up JAGS.



Good thing the heavyweight division is looking solid once again.. and UFC was never an issue for boxing. UFC is a joke, that's why fighters leave to focus on wrasslin.. hell they even want to fight boxers to get a decent payday compared to the peanuts they get fighting in the octagon.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Heavyweight boxing is good again and no one cares
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:13 pm
Posts: 2116
My opinion on what killed boxing: Too many weight classes and too many belts. It seems like any fighter worth a damn anymore has at least one belt, and it's killed the prestige of a championship. When a fighter is willing to just drop a belt instead of taking a fight he doesn't want, you know there's an issue.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Heavyweight boxing is good again and no one cares
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:14 pm
Posts: 72
Pabst wrote:
My opinion on what killed boxing: Too many weight classes and too many belts. It seems like any fighter worth a damn anymore has at least one belt, and it's killed the prestige of a championship. When a fighter is willing to just drop a belt instead of taking a fight he doesn't want, you know there's an issue.


While I'm no fan of having so many belts in one divison, especially seeing the WBC and WBA having multiple champions IN THE SAME weight class.. That's not the reason boxing is "dead". It's alive and well. Now there are matchups that are being avoided because of politics, but other than that boxing is doing well.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Heavyweight boxing is good again and no one cares
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:13 pm
Posts: 2116
Thiefery wrote:
Pabst wrote:
My opinion on what killed boxing: Too many weight classes and too many belts. It seems like any fighter worth a damn anymore has at least one belt, and it's killed the prestige of a championship. When a fighter is willing to just drop a belt instead of taking a fight he doesn't want, you know there's an issue.


While I'm no fan of having so many belts in one divison, especially seeing the WBC and WBA having multiple champions IN THE SAME weight class.. That's not the reason boxing is "dead". It's alive and well. Now there are matchups that are being avoided because of politics, but other than that boxing is doing well.

"Dead" may be a little extreme, yes, but boxing is nowhere near as mainstream as it was even 25 years ago. I'm not even sure it cracks the top 10 in terms of popularity anymore.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Heavyweight boxing is good again and no one cares
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 13485
Watched the first Tyson-Holyfield fight again for the first time in years.....brought back a lot of fun memories.....Great fight.

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group