It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 3rd Degree Burns
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:55 pm 

1T) Brian Burns EDGE Florida St- Release the hounds indeed, Monty. A true difference maker to cause chaos and mayhem opposite the upstart TJ Watt. I’d be stunned if Burns doesn’t go top 10 but if he slides I'd happily trade a 3rd and maybe more to go get him.

2) Parris Campbell WR Ohio St- I feel all alone in my like of Campbell. Ben led the league in ints in part by forcing the ball to me-first AB. I say play it a little more conservative this year. Throw some short passes to this “humble” kid from Akron and let his holy shit speed and athleticism do the rest.

3T) Blake Cashman LB Minnesota- From walk on to team captain. Kid bleeds football. I want this gritty Gopher quarterbacking my defense.

4) Marquise Blair S Utah- Blaster but has some ball-hawk to him. Sean Davis and Bud Dupree massive liabilities to the Steelers defense that need to be replaced.

5T) Foster Moreau TE LSU- “NASTY” on field demeanor. Locker room leader and a very good athlete that will be an upgrade from the departed Jesse James.

6T) Rodney Anderson RB Oklahoma- Steal of day 3 right here. Medicals could cause a major slide. This dynamo ran over and around my ‘dawgs in the Rose Bowl a couple seasons back in what was one of the most entertaining college football games I’ve ever seen.

6) Malik Reed Edge Nevada- Mike Tomlin must be carrying Anthony Chickillo’s baby. Just a horrible excuse for an NFL player that must be jettisoned from the roster with the quickness and ‘ol Reed here is just the dude to do it.

6T) Ulysees Gilbert LB Akron- Fast 'sum bitch right here. Add Dirty Red to the list of NFL roster bottom feeders that need to be off the roster.

7.) Steven Denmark Big Ass CB Valdosta st- I have no clue if this workout warrior can play at the NFL level or not but it’s worth finding out with a late round dart throw.

Thanks as always for reading. If the Steelers are going to trade up, I hope it's for Burns not Bush.

Post subject: Re: 3rd Degree Burns
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:51 pm 

Drama, Thanks for all the work you put into these, I enjoy reading your mocks.

I really see them moving up at some point in the draft, and I see them making a move in the first to go get a guy they want/need. The current roster make up would lead you to believe that they are going to move up at some point. With 76 players currently on the 90 man roster, 10 picks would put them at 86 and they usually bring in 10 or so UDFA’s, there is room to make a move.

I think it will be for one of the ILB's, if White gets past Tampa Bay I could see them trying to get into the 7-10 range to grab him. If not, go get Bush somewhere in the 10-13 range.

Random thought, it probably nothing, but all of the newly signed players have been assigned numbers except Mark Barron. Being listed as a LB now, he has to wear a number in the 40’s, 50’s or 90’s. With limited numbers freely available I feel like they are expecting to pick someone high, who would also be wearing one of those numbers. So, he would get to pick his number after their highly drafted LB picks his. Who cares if some AAF pick up or futures contract body is wearing a number, you can easily take it from them and give it to your shinny new toy. but, I don't think you would want to do that with a vet. Again, I am sure it doesn't mean anything. But when I saw that I thought "why is he the only one not getting a number?"

I like Campbell too, there are other WR's I would prefer but I would not be upset with Campbell.

lastly, I don't think Moreau will last that long. but you never know.....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:37 pm 

Whiterat, I think you have it read correctly.
Inside linebacker I’m sure is the preferred target.
I’m a big fan of the “black cowboy” excessive 3rd person references not withstanding.
I just don’t think he falls to within trading distance.
I would be fine with Bush but hope they don’t overpay to get him.

So many receivers I like as well but I’m worried based on pre draft visits that the Steelers are not going to take one early. Campbell to me has only begun to scratch the surface of his athletic potential. He has scare the shit of you speed and toughness to match

You’re also probably right on Moreau. Dig the kid. Hope he’s a value pick on day 3

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:25 pm 

Barring a trade, TB and Det appear to be the only teams that would worry me. IF and it's a big if, he gets past TB they have the ammo to move up and get him at 7, 8 or 9. That that I am advocating giving up that much Capitol. But, after missing out completely last year and the huge drop off after the top 2 this year, I could see them being extremely aggressive

As for WR, their track record shows they are comfortable in the mid rounds. I think round 3-5 they will double dip. Maybe their first 6th rounder. Rumor has them loving David Sills V, I could see him or his team mate Jennings being the back half of the double. My preference would be for Mecole Hardman at 66 or 83, though I would be nervous if I waited till 83....but you are right, a ton of quality receivers....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:53 am 

SteelDrama wrote:

1T) Brian Burns EDGE Florida St- Release the hounds indeed, Monty. A true difference maker to cause chaos and mayhem opposite the upstart TJ Watt. I’d be stunned if Burns doesn’t go top 10 but if he slides I'd happily trade a 3rd and maybe more to go get him.

2) Parris Campbell WR Ohio St- I feel all alone in my like of Campbell. Ben led the league in ints in part by forcing the ball to me-first AB. I say play it a little more conservative this year. Throw some short passes to this “humble” kid from Akron and let his holy shit speed and athleticism do the rest.

3T) Blake Cashman LB Minnesota- From walk on to team captain. Kid bleeds football. I want this gritty Gopher quarterbacking my defense.

4) Marquise Blair S Utah- Blaster but has some ball-hawk to him. Sean Davis and Bud Dupree massive liabilities to the Steelers defense that need to be replaced.

5T) Foster Moreau TE LSU- “NASTY” on field demeanor. Locker room leader and a very good athlete that will be an upgrade from the departed Jesse James.

6T) Rodney Anderson RB Oklahoma- Steal of day 3 right here. Medicals could cause a major slide. This dynamo ran over and around my ‘dawgs in the Rose Bowl a couple seasons back in what was one of the most entertaining college football games I’ve ever seen.

6) Malik Reed Edge Nevada- Mike Tomlin must be carrying Anthony Chickillo’s baby. Just a horrible excuse for an NFL player that must be jettisoned from the roster with the quickness and ‘ol Reed here is just the dude to do it.

6T) Ulysees Gilbert LB Akron- Fast 'sum bitch right here. Add Dirty Red to the list of NFL roster bottom feeders that need to be off the roster.

7.) Steven Denmark Big Ass CB Valdosta st- I have no clue if this workout warrior can play at the NFL level or not but it’s worth finding out with a late round dart throw.

Thanks as always for reading. If the Steelers are going to trade up, I hope it's for Burns not Bush.

Thanks as always Drama. Great stuff. I especially love the part where our bottom feeders get replaced with youth and speed. The bottom 10% of this entire roster needs turned over. We do what we do an all is long overdue to be changed.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:58 am 

It’s. So so dumb to move up for a guy to replace Vince Williams (White) or a Mark Barron clone (Bush) when you actually have, you know, Mark Barron.

If one falls to 20, I could see that. But considering what you have to give up to move from 20 to 10... This year it might as well be two 1st round picks, since grade of players picked at 20 and 66 will be nearly the same.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:25 am 

No trade up in the first, ideally they trade down in the first.
Closer it gets to the real deal, the more I'm thinking its going to be another semi-shocker who they end up with, I'm not expecting an Edmunds type shocker, (I hope :roll: )

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:48 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
It’s. So so dumb to move up for a guy to replace Vince Williams (White) or a Mark Barron clone (Bush) when you actually have, you know, Mark Barron.

If one falls to 20, I could see that. But considering what you have to give up to move from 20 to 10... This year it might as well be two 1st round picks, since grade of players picked at 20 and 66 will be nearly the same.

I agree 100%, but I fear the Steelers look at these guys differently than we do, particularly Bush. I hope to hell they don’t trade up in the first, but also I hope they don’t pull the trigger on Bush should he be there at 20...I fear they will.
I can’t tell you how much I dislike the player. I don’t believe he will be anything more than an average NFLer.
A Steelers Devin Bush pick would get me Ziggy Hood/Jarvis Jones POed. In preparation, I’m strapping down my brand new 55 inch 4K so I can’t pry it off the stand, because I’m 95% certain that Bush is going to be the pick.... :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:46 pm 

Jobus Rum wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

I agree 100%, but I fear the Steelers look at these guys differently than we do, particularly Bush. I hope to hell they don’t trade up in the first, but also I hope they don’t pull the trigger on Bush should he be there at 20...I fear they will.
I can’t tell you how much I dislike the player. I don’t believe he will be anything more than an average NFLer.
A Steelers Devin Bush pick would get me Ziggy Hood/Jarvis Jones POed. In preparation, I’m strapping down my brand new 55 inch 4K so I can’t pry it off the stand, because I’m 95% certain that Bush is going to be the pick.... :twisted:

I'm betting Bush goes near the top 10. He and White are getting a ton of buzz in lead up. I doubt Bush gets near 20.

I never got the Ziggy Hood angst, sometimes you can't just judge a draft on the player selected you have to look at the draft class in general. That draft class was putrid. Hood as turned out especially considering where he was taken an ok pick. Not great but not the end of the world. Overall talent wise that was one of the worst drafts ever.

Just for perspective ...Mike Wallace was one of the best players taken in that draft.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:01 pm 

steelclan wrote:
Jobus Rum wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

I'm betting Bush goes near the top 10. He and White are getting a ton of buzz in lead up. I doubt Bush gets near 20.

I never got the Ziggy Hood angst, sometimes you can't just judge a draft on the player selected you have to look at the draft class in general. That draft class was putrid. Hood as turned out especially considering where he was taken an ok pick. Not great but not the end of the world. Overall talent wise that was one of the worst drafts ever.

Just for perspective ...Mike Wallace was one of the best players taken in that draft.

Clan, my dislike of Hood was leading up to the draft when it was being widely speculated he was going to be the pick. I watch a lot of college football, and saw a good bit of Missouri when he was there. He was always hyped before the game, rarely showed up during the game. I did not like the pick when it was made, everything else is what it is.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:17 pm 

If one falls to 20, I could see that. But considering what you have to give up to move from 20 to 10... This year it might as well be two 1st round picks, since grade of players picked at 20 and 66 will be nearly the same.[/quote]
A Steelers Devin Bush pick would get me Ziggy Hood/Jarvis Jones POed. In preparation, I’m strapping down my brand new 55 inch 4K so I can’t pry it off the stand, because I’m 95% certain that Bush is going to be the pick.... :twisted:[/quote]

Just for perspective ...Mike Wallace was one of the best players taken in that draft.[/quote]
Clan, my dislike of Hood was leading up to the draft when it was being widely speculated he was going to be the pick. I watch a lot of college football, and saw a good bit of Missouri when he was there. He was always hyped before the game, rarely showed up during the game. I did not like the pick when it was made, everything else is what it is.[/quote]

Fair enough. I never really got that angry over the pick and actually liked the draft class.

Hood was not player we wanted him to be but he was a solid starter for a few years and unlike a boatload of his high drafted peers lasted in the NFL.
Mike Wallace was a great pick.
Keenan Lewis was a very good pick and had FO not made the wrong choice (keeping Ike)? Lewis would've been a very good starter.
Urbik ...again FO fucked up. He turned out to be a solid starter for the Bills for 3-4 seasons.
Johnson in 7th was a nice pick also, yes not much of a receiver but a decent blocker and special teamer.
Even Shipley in 7th, FO again fucked up and should've kept him. He turned into an ok starter for a few teams and good back up.
Plus Ramon Foster as UDFA. A grand slam of a pick. 10 year starter.

Given how poor that draft was overall in talent? That is a damn good haul. The reason it didn't pay even bigger dividends? The FO made some piss poor decisions.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:47 pm 

steelclan wrote:

A Steelers Devin Bush pick would get me Ziggy Hood/Jarvis Jones POed. In preparation, I’m strapping down my brand new 55 inch 4K so I can’t pry it off the stand, because I’m 95% certain that Bush is going to be the pick.... :twisted:[/quote]

Just for perspective ...Mike Wallace was one of the best players taken in that draft.[/quote]
Clan, my dislike of Hood was leading up to the draft when it was being widely speculated he was going to be the pick. I watch a lot of college football, and saw a good bit of Missouri when he was there. He was always hyped before the game, rarely showed up during the game. I did not like the pick when it was made, everything else is what it is.[/quote]

Fair enough. I never really got that angry over the pick and actually liked the draft class.

Hood was not player we wanted him to be but he was a solid starter for a few years and unlike a boatload of his high drafted peers lasted in the NFL.
Mike Wallace was a great pick.
Keenan Lewis was a very good pick and had FO not made the wrong choice (keeping Ike)? Lewis would've been a very good starter.
Urbik ...again FO fucked up. He turned out to be a solid starter for the Bills for 3-4 seasons.
Johnson in 7th was a nice pick also, yes not much of a receiver but a decent blocker and special teamer.
Even Shipley in 7th, FO again fucked up and should've kept him. He turned into an ok starter for a few teams and good back up.
Plus Ramon Foster as UDFA. A grand slam of a pick. 10 year starter.

Given how poor that draft was overall in talent? That is a damn good haul. The reason it didn't pay even bigger dividends? The FO made some piss poor decisions.[/quote]

I exaggerate when I say things like “I’ll pitch my TV out the window”, of course, but like everyone else there are picks I want the team to make and others I don’t...players I like, players I don’t.
I be said many times that I’m no draft expert. I do watch college games and form an opinion. I’ve been right on players and wrong on players. I didn’t like th3 Hood and Jarvis picks, I also didn’t like the Bell and Tuitt picks. Win some lose some... :lol:
I don’t care for Devin Bush, but should the Steelers pick him, I will hope to high hell I misjudged him. It’s what fanboys do...right?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:36 pm 

I'm also no draft expert. I watch cut ups of games on specific players, listen to some voices I respect in social media and using what little grey matter I have; make a judgment. As you noted sometimes get it right and more often in my case not so much. Bush screams ignoring the film and hyping up athletic traits. That is what got the Steelers: Bud Dupree. Not saying that method is always a failure but usually if the production isn't there? It is a red flag.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:55 pm 

steelclan wrote:
I'm also no draft expert. I watch cut ups of games on specific players, listen to some voices I respect in social media and using what little grey matter I have; make a judgment. As you noted sometimes get it right and more often in my case not so much. Bush screams ignoring the film and hyping up athletic traits. That is what got the Steelers: Bud Dupree. Not saying that method is always a failure but usually if the production isn't there? It is a red flag.

We are on the same page then...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:15 am 

90-95% of the pick in the draft are projections on what they will do in the NFL. Take Rashan Gary. In college they played him as an EDGE. In the NFL, because of his lack of bend, he would be best suited to be a 3-tech. If the team that drafts him is expecting an EDGE player they will, at best, have an OK 5-tech.

Then we get to the point where people say ignore the film. That one is really tough unless a team is projecting a player in a position that is either very different from what they played in college or they are hoping the athletics shown in the underwear olympics translates better. To me, Miles Boykin is an example of the later.

I think they have to take what they see but make small adjustments based on combine/pro days.