It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tomlin Fined $25,000
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:58 pm 

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1050092904608346114

Quote:
Tom Pelissero
‏Verified account @TomPelissero

The NFL has fined #Steelers coach Mike Tomlin $25,000 for public criticism of game officials, per source.
11:37 AM - 10 Oct 2018

Just saw this and just got home. Didn't see anything about it on here yet. Goodell may have us back in his sights again.

Post subject: Re: Tomlin Fined $25,000
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:28 pm 

If I were Tomlin, I would reach out to every coach to beg them to make waves as pertaining to these flags. That may be the only way anything gets done. Also, I appeal to the fans by giving out roger's email address and let the fans email him directly expressing their opinions about the flags. But in all fairness, nothing will happen unless the QB's start sounding off. Ben already said something about it, but most QB's are to big of pussies. They like being coddled!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:59 pm 

On second thought, I tell my players to hell with the penalties, hit the fucking QB like you want to kill him!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:12 pm 

Tomlin definitely took one for the team.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:54 pm 

I didnt believe it. His press conferences are usually dry like Bellicheat. Why use a public forum to basically say the NFL failed in another rule that breeds subjectivity from game to game week to week?

My only guess is that they have been reaching for help on this interpretation so they can teach it and are getting no answer from new york.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:57 pm 

Joey's Pitbull wrote:
My only guess is that they have been reaching for help on this interpretation so they can teach it and are getting no answer from new york.

This makes some sense. The officiating makes none.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:09 pm 

Isn’t Tomlin on the competition committee?

Do they not have any pull with these matters?

NFL really is starting to mean Not For Long in terms of the league’s longevity and the interest of real fans.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:24 am 

955876 wrote:
NFL really is starting to mean Not For Long in terms of the league’s longevity and the interest of real fans.

Last weekend I watched two games, Steelers/Falcons and Pitt/Syracuse. In the college game the officials where practically invisible. There where a couple of reviews, but not enough to annoy me. Not as many penalties.

I don't get the NFL? And most of the fans too. Am I the only one so annoyed by the micromanagement of the games? What other sport are the refs known by name and so recognizable? Can't they see LESS rules and LESS reviews is more entertaining? I mean, if the NFL would just adopt college rules across the board, it would be a better product.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:19 am 

Nick79 wrote:
Am I the only one so annoyed by the micromanagement of the games?

Literally everyone has been complaining about it for years now.

So no. You're not even close to the only one.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:33 am 

Nick79 wrote:
955876 wrote:

Last weekend I watched two games, Steelers/Falcons and Pitt/Syracuse. In the college game the officials where practically invisible. There where a couple of reviews, but not enough to annoy me. Not as many penalties.

I don't get the NFL? And most of the fans too. Am I the only one so annoyed by the micromanagement of the games? What other sport are the refs known by name and so recognizable? Can't they see LESS rules and LESS reviews is more entertaining? I mean, if the NFL would just adopt college rules across the board, it would be a better product.

My guess is that the biggest reason most viewers get so annoyed with all of the penalties is that it slows down the live game so much (turning them into almost 4 hour unwatchable events.) I realize many don't have the option to DVR/watch on demand, but if you do, I highly recommend it. It's worth the extra cost imo.

I >> right through those lengthy 5 minute penalty screw ups. It has also made the 10 minute (real time) TD-commercial-review-commercial-extra point-commercial-kickoff-commercial-first down sequence so much easier to handle...just >> and I'm ready for game action, not being any less informed than I was right after the TD & extra point were scored. I can usually watch a 225 minute game in about 80 minutes or less and I get to pick and choice what replays I want to see frame by frame to see if I'm correct on a play call/injury/penalty/etc.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:45 am 

alancac98 wrote:
If I were Tomlin, I would reach out to every coach to beg them to make waves as pertaining to these flags. That may be the only way anything gets done. Also, I appeal to the fans by giving out roger's email address and let the fans email him directly expressing their opinions about the flags.

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Tomlin definitely took one for the team.

Basically, this amounts to you or I putting a dollar in the swear jar for cussing.

Maybe he should just kneel during the coin toss as a sign of protest...

Power to the People...Screw The Man...Black and Gold Lives Matter...Me Too!

:roll:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:01 am 

DP39 wrote:
Nick79 wrote:
955876 wrote:

My guess is that the biggest reason most viewers get so annoyed with all of the penalties is that it slows down the live game so much (turning them into almost 4 hour unwatchable events.) I realize many don't have the option to DVR/watch on demand, but if you do, I highly recommend it. It's worth the extra cost imo.

I >> right through those lengthy 5 minute penalty screw ups. It has also made the 10 minute (real time) TD-commercial-review-commercial-extra point-commercial-kickoff-commercial-first down sequence so much easier to handle...just >> and I'm ready for game action, not being any less informed than I was right after the TD & extra point were scored. I can usually watch a 225 minute game in about 80 minutes or less and I get to pick and choice what replays I want to see frame by frame to see if I'm correct on a play call/injury/penalty/etc.

I do >> that too, but why should we have too? The stuff they keep stopping the game for is not really that important. There's a lot of rules we could live without, we don't really need to review every score and every turnover!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:15 pm 

I just hope the officials dont swallow the whidtle with Burfect. That would be an FU statement to Tomlin.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:50 am 

DocSteel wrote:
I just hope the officials dont swallow the whidtle with Burfect. That would be an FU statement to Tomlin.

I would like to see McDonald truck his ass. Just blow him up after a catch whether he catches it or someone else. A nice public evisceration of his manhood again after JuJu lit him up last season. Even Conner just doing some shit like Bettis on Urlacher in the snow game.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:23 am 

Mike Tomlin sits on the Competition Committee.

The time for him to make his case is there.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:14 pm 

Jeemie wrote:

"'We’ve got to get better as a National Football League,' Tomlin said on Sunday. 'Man, these penalties are costing people games and jobs. We’ve got to get them correct. So, I’m pissed.'"

Sounds like he thinks this is a crisis that the League needs to deal with right now -- not the next time the Competition Committee sits. A lot of people on this board agree, except when Tomlin says it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:12 pm 

Steel Drummer wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

"'We’ve got to get better as a National Football League,' Tomlin said on Sunday. 'Man, these penalties are costing people games and jobs. We’ve got to get them correct. So, I’m pissed.'"

Sounds like he thinks this is a crisis that the League needs to deal with right now -- not the next time the Competition Committee sits. A lot of people on this board agree, except when Tomlin says it.

So you’re saying these guys can’t look ahead and see the issues that are going to arise from the changes they make?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:25 am 

The one thing that gets me is when they even bother to fine coaches or teams for infractions.

So, they fine Tomlin $25,000 and he makes what? $7 million a year, 8 million a year? More than that?

Let us be conservative and say Tomlin makes $7 million a year.

Tomlin being fined $25,000 is equivalent to an average person being fined $125 (based on that average person making say $35,000 a year).

That is supposed to be a deterrent? Really?

Sort of like how the NFL fined the New Orleans Saints, the team, $500,000 for Bountygate. The team at the time of the scandal was right around $1 Billion in terms of value, it is currently valued at $2 Billion and that is ranked 27th in the NFL.

The idea that a $500,000 fine was a punishment or deterrent to the Saints and that other teams got the message is laughable. Again, to the average typical person, that $500,000 fine to a Billion dollar NFL franchise is like me forgetting to move my car the first Monday of the month when the street sweeper does my street, and me being fined $27.

Yeah, that $27 fine sucks but it isn't the end of the world.

The NFL, if they really want to impress me with fines, then either go big or go home. That Bountygate fine should have been something like $15 million and two first round picks forfeited. If the NFL doesn't want their coaches to speak out against their refs and rules, then they should have fined Tomlin $500,000.

If Tomlin were fined $500,000 then that really does sting, that is a true deterrent, it would be like that average person being fined $2,500 (again who makes $35,000 a year).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:35 am 

Jeemie wrote:
So you’re saying these guys can’t look ahead and see the issues that are going to arise from the changes they make?

No, I didn't say that. But there is such a thing as the Law of Unintended Consequences.

In any case, either:

1. Tomlin and whoever was on his side were outvoted, and he is now convinced he was right, or
2. Tomlin and the majority were wrong, and Tomlin is worried about the unforeseen effects, or, most likely,
3. Tomlin is complaining not about the rules but about the extremely uneven enforcement of them. Here is part of the quote in question: "... these penalties are costing people games and jobs. We’ve got to get them correct. ..."

In any case, even if Tomlin personally convinced everyone to change the rules and then personally supervised and trained the refs how to enforce them, he would still be right to say something if he was convinced it was hurting the League.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:01 pm 

Steel Drummer wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

No, I didn't say that. But there is such a thing as the Law of Unintended Consequences.

In any case, either:

1. Tomlin and whoever was on his side were outvoted, and he is now convinced he was right, or
2. Tomlin and the majority were wrong, and Tomlin is worried about the unforeseen effects, or, most likely,
3. Tomlin is complaining not about the rules but about the extremely uneven enforcement of them. Here is part of the quote in question: "... these penalties are costing people games and jobs. We’ve got to get them correct. ..."

In any case, even if Tomlin personally convinced everyone to change the rules and then personally supervised and trained the refs how to enforce them, he would still be right to say something if he was convinced it was hurting the League.

Here's how you deal with the law of unintended consequences. The Competition Committee and the NFL need to learn this, know it, and live it.

Quote:
“A set of several simple rules leads to complex, intelligent behavior. While a set of complex rules often leads to dumb and primitive behavior.”.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:38 am 

stillthere wrote:
DocSteel wrote:

I would like to see McDonald truck his ass. Just blow him up after a catch whether he catches it or someone else. A nice public evisceration of his manhood again after JuJu lit him up last season. Even Conner just doing some shit like Bettis on Urlacher in the snow game.

Ding-ding...winner, winner, Chicken dinner! 8-)