It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Refuge in a Shitstorm
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:15 pm 

Greetings, Steeler brethren. Some of you have commented on my hiatus from this esteemed website. It's actually a yearly event, post Stanley Cup playoffs, as I have little use for the boring-ass baseball season, and for even more boring-ass pre-season football.

I re-emerged from the hibernation yesterday, and came back into the sunshine at Irish Exit, 978 2nd Avenue, New York City. Y'see, as one that is absolutely a soft touch for my kids, even now that they're full-grown adults, I'm oft talked into driving my boy back home to his Manhattan haunts after his visits to the 603. My choice then, was to watch the game upon my return home, on VHS tape (you heard it right...as in VCR), or watch at a Steeler bar in NYC. With a little research, and an endorsement from our colleague, CT, we determined Irish Exit to the be the place. And....a great time was almost had by all.

First, the game. I returned home to the Granite State late last night, and was greeted by the teeth-gnashing and bellyaching of this esteemed website's populace. All of your complaints were legit, but I must say, I'm not nearly as piiiiissssed as are many of you. Why, you might ask? It's because I really don't have high expectations for the 2018 edition of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Why, you might ask? Answer is that the Steelers are still coached by The Fuckin' Douchebag, the What Am I, A Potted Plant Fuckin' Idiot Mike Tomlin. The guy whose greatest skill is An Exceedingly Well-Developed Line of Bullshit was on full-on dipshit display yesterday, and all of you were on point with the criticisms....
*Running the wheels off our substitute running back....and whaddaya know, a late game fumble opening the floodgates for a Clowns comeback.
*Playing for a winning field goal on a soaker of a day, that was hardly a gimme.

Ya, I know all about Tomlin's winning percentage, his never having had a losing season, blah, blah, blah....I also know, as has been pointed out, that his job in Pittsburgh is safer than that of the mother-fuckin' Pope (and sorry if I'm being disrespectful to the Pontiff.....but fuck him, too!!).

As I've said repeatedly, I don't give a shit any more about the PIrates, but here's the comp between the Steelers and Penguins:
-Coaches: Steelers have Mike Tomlin, whose foibles are well-chronicled. Penguins have Mike Sullivan, who almost without exception, always, always, always makes the right moves....AND...isn't scared of his own fuckin' shadow as is Tomlin.
-Owners: Steelers have the Douchebag Art II, the real owner's kid, who is pleased as punch to rack up 10-win seasons, regularly following short at playoff time. Penguins have Mario Lemieux, la Magnifique, who's satisfied with nothing but Stanley Cups, who has showed that he's not afraid of firing a Stanley Cup winning coach who's no longer getting it done.

I'll say it again. Mike Tomlin will never beat Bill Belichick in a game of any consequence. Please prove me wrong, Mr. Tomlin.

Ben...what the FUCK, Ben??? Wake the fuck up, willya??

Okay, the venue....
The Irish Exit is an amazing place to watch a Steeler game. It's an absolute legit Steeler bar, unlike others that have Steelers on the prime TV, some others, but then have the rest of the game. Not the Irish Exit, run by dudes from the Emerald Isle. At Irish Exit, ONLY game on are the Pittsburgh Steelers. There's five projections screens behind the bar, then regular TVs on the back wall. Not a big place, and narrow, as are alot of the Manhattan joints, it's definitely SRO, definitely all-Steeler clientele, and yesterday had Amos Zereoue pouring shots behind the bar. He appears in a vid that will hopefully posted.

No commercials at the Irish Exit. Nope, either loud pump-up music, or Steeler Fight Song or Renegade. Drinks aren't badly priced. Irish Exit will be my home away from home.

As many of you know, I'm a inveterate techno-dummy, and will prevail upon my Steeler colleagues, namely Jack Lambert58 to post pics and vids of the event.

All that said, I'm not getting my hopes up. I'm actually going to try to vary from my approach of.....We don't enjoy these game, we just suffer through and hope we're happy in the end....and will actually try to enjoy the process this year. Who knows, might actually go barefoot during games, connect with the freakin' universe!! Adieu until next week!! Watch for the pics and vids.

Post subject: Re: Refuge in a Shitstorm
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:25 pm 

Hmmm....2nd and 52nd---I may have to come down from CT the next time you are there to watch with you...then I'll treat you to the Heidelberg on 2nd and 85th--best beer in NYC...then I'll take Monday off...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:26 pm 

Maybe this is the right approach, basically just not caring or getting that hyped up since we know what the end game looks like already.

Always been hard for me, but maybe I will try this year.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:47 pm 

JJT wrote:
Maybe this is the right approach, basically just not caring or getting that hyped up since we know what the end game looks like already.

Mike Tomlin's post-Ben/AB/Bell Steelers are NOT going to be fun to watch, at all.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:13 pm 

With the benefit of 10 years hindsight, the Steelers are lucky to have won a Super Bowl with Tomlin as coach.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:23 pm 

SteelWill wrote:
Hmmm....2nd and 52nd---I may have to come down from CT the next time you are there to watch with you...then I'll treat you to the Heidelberg on 2nd and 85th--best beer in NYC...then I'll take Monday off...

Let's get something set up. I'm out in Queens (Used to live in CT myself, obviously) so I can get in quickly. I wanted to go yesterday but I was far too hung over after a wedding. Frankly, that game would have had me three sheets to the wind and missing work today.

I think there's a few other folks from NYC on this board too if I'm not mistaken.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:25 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
JJT wrote:

Mike Tomlin's post-Ben/AB/Bell Steelers are NOT going to be fun to watch, at all.

Well with Ben and AB yesterday they weren't all that fun.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:07 pm 

StillerInCT wrote:
SteelWill wrote:

Let's get something set up. I'm out in Queens (Used to live in CT myself, obviously) so I can get in quickly. I wanted to go yesterday but I was far too hung over after a wedding. Frankly, that game would have had me three sheets to the wind and missing work today.

I think there's a few other folks from NYC on this board too if I'm not mistaken.
Yup. I might join you guys if invited. Better a 4:00 pm or 8:30 start, though. I just hope you don't mind me looking the other way while on a bar stool during the anthem. 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:13 pm 

Agreed about the Steeler ownership and the idea that they won't pay two HC's at the same time(unless something unforeseeable happens).

One thing I loved about Sullivan during the back to back cup run-he stressed that he didn't want his teams to EASE into the game. He wanted his Birdies to dictate, to force the issue. Worked out pretty well.

Swiss, all coaches have slumps. I don't think Sully was particularly good last season. Maybe it was Tocchet being gone but there parts of the season where there were definite 'WTF' moments.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:20 pm 

JJT wrote:

I need to find a better approach, that is for sure.

I have been a member of a Steelers fan club here in Kansas City for 23 years. I don't get up there as much as I used to because I have a 2 1/2 year old. I went yesterday, arriving an hour early so I could catch up with everyone as many of us don't connect much during the offseason. The game ruined my whole fucking day. Nothing like feeling like you're getting nut punched 68 times.

As soon as we punted from their 35 on 4th and 6, I told everyone sitting around me we would lose the game on a last second field goal. I was wrong, but not by much.

I am sick of Tomlin, sick of his stupid fucking sayings and sick of seeing him on the sideline looking bewildered and surprised. He is clearly in over his head and we are wasting good years. We won't win another trophy with him as head coach and unfortunately, it will probably take until five years after Ben retires before any Rooney pulls their head out of their asses.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:46 pm 

Swiss and his son Anthony at the Irish Exit in NYC for yesterday's game:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:54 pm 

You and I are singing from the same hymnal on this, Swiss. I don't care nearly as much as I used to. No high expectations at all with Tomlin as head coach. Absolutely none.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:18 pm 

Swiss, my friend. You are becoming a zen master. You are becoming a wise sage. Stop it; you’re scaring me. Although, this approach is probably better for your heart. And Mrs. Swiss prolly likes it better.

Good to have your voice back on the Fury.

Nevertheless—running a gassed back, in his first NFL start, into a nine-man box is so stupid, you just almost have to break a TV or something. Right?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:43 pm 

Sadly with age comes wisdom as those of us in our late 50s can attest to.... sometimes..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:37 pm 

Good write-up. I'm much of the same opinion. But the training to view these fuck-up games as tragicomedy, and not pure misery, does not come easy. Years and years of allowing the stress to get the best of one's emotions is not quickly unlearned through sober-thinking, self-coaching (at least not by me). I've gotten a little better at saying to myself, "well, what the fuck did you expect from Mike Tomlin and co." LATER - maybe the next day, or a couple of days later, but in the middle of it - still a struggle to come to terms with it happening again. As far as epic shitstorms go, difficult to script one better than that for an opening day visit to the Browns, weather and all. A creative masterpiece.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:18 am 

COR-TEN wrote:
StillerInCT wrote:
SteelWill wrote:

Yup. I might join you guys if invited. Better a 4:00 pm or 8:30 start, though. I just hope you don't mind me looking the other way while on a bar stool during the anthem. 8-)

Consider yourself invited, Cor-Ten. I'm hopefully doing a return engagement on the Sunday after Thanksgiving, 4:25 start v. Doncos.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:10 am 

COR-TEN wrote:
StillerInCT wrote:
SteelWill wrote:

Hahaha I'm the last person who would care about that. Hell yeah. More than welcome to join. It gets boring watching the games by myself. I'm cool with 4:00 or 8:30.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:21 am 

Will-the-Shake wrote:
Good write-up. I'm much of the same opinion. But the training to view these fuck-up games as tragicomedy, and not pure misery, does not come easy. Years and years of allowing the stress to get the best of one's emotions is not quickly unlearned through sober-thinking, self-coaching (at least not by me). I've gotten a little better at saying to myself, "well, what the fuck did you expect from Mike Tomlin and co." LATER - maybe the next day, or a couple of days later, but in the middle of it - still a struggle to come to terms with it happening again. As far as epic shitstorms go, difficult to script one better than that for an opening day visit to the Browns, weather and all. A creative masterpiece.

I think I told my wife as soon as Connor fumbled that we weren't winning this game...that we would find a way to fuck it up.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:39 am 

Since they won Super Bowl XL, I really don't care anymore. Losing, or tying doesn't get me mad. All I wanted at one point was to win a Super Bowl OUTSIDE THE SEVENTIES, so Yinzers could stop talking about the 70s and we did that, so now I'm good, it is just TV entertainment every week. So we tied the Browns, this is typical, we always start seasons playing like shit, I figure at the end we still go like 11-4-1 or 10-5-1 and get in the playoffs and I get at least a week or two more of TV entertainment. So it's a long season, I don't like the playoffs, I like October, because there's still a lot of games to see.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:59 am 

Nick79 wrote:
Since they won Super Bowl XL, I really don't care anymore. Losing, or tying doesn't get me mad. All I wanted at one point was to win a Super Bowl OUTSIDE THE SEVENTIES, so Yinzers could stop talking about the 70s and we did that, so now I'm good, it is just TV entertainment every week. So we tied the Browns, this is typical, we always start seasons playing like shit, I figure at the end we still go like 11-4-1 or 10-5-1 and get in the playoffs and I get at least a week or two more of TV entertainment. So it's a long season, I don't like the playoffs, I like October, because there's still a lot of games to see.

But playoff games have much more on the line so more ENTERTAINMENT. It is just ENTERTAINMENT afterall. Just like watching your fav TV show. ENTERTAINMENT levels are much higher in January.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:10 am 

Nice to have you back posting Swiss!

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:20 am 

R S wrote:
Nick79 wrote:

But playoff games have much more on the line so more ENTERTAINMENT. It is just ENTERTAINMENT afterall. Just like watching your fav TV show. ENTERTAINMENT levels are much higher in January.

Right, but if you lose, there isn't another "EPISODE" for like 8 months, so I prefer early to mid season because in 7-8 days there's another one. I don't care about the VALUE of a particular "show", I prefer knowing there will be another one soon.

YES 1000% TRUE... It is just ENTERTAINMENT afterall. Just like watching your fav TV show. It's not anything more serious than that, shouldn't impact anyone's life beyond the final whistle.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:09 pm 

Thanks for sharing, Swiss. I have a cousin in NYC that I always threaten to visit. If I ever do and it's during football season, I'll check this place out for sure.

FYI you look less like fuck-her-right-in-the-pussy guy without the mustache. You could still pass as his brother, though.

Nick's delivery aside, he's right. Seeing grown adults affected by outcomes of football games - sometimes for days afterwards or longer - is really sad. Perspective is an important thing that is lost on many.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:24 pm 

StillerInCT wrote:
Hahaha I'm the last person who would care about that. Hell yeah. More than welcome to join. It gets boring watching the games by myself. I'm cool with 4:00 or 8:30.
Yup. My SO isn't a fan, but she makes sure to yell "GO PENS!!" every time the steelers play. :lol:

swissvale72 wrote:
Consider yourself invited, Cor-Ten. I'm hopefully doing a return engagement on the Sunday after Thanksgiving, 4:25 start v. Doncos.
Excellent. If I'm here, I'm there. If you know what I mean. Gotta keep us informed, though. But as with Vegas, whatever happens at the Irish Exit, stays at the Irish Exit. 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:26 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
StillerInCT wrote:
Yup. My SO isn't a fan, but she makes sure to yell "GO PENS!!" every time the steelers play. :lol:

swissvale72 wrote:
Excellent. If I'm here, I'm there. If you know what I mean. Gotta keep us informed, though. But as with Vegas, whatever happens at the Irish Exit, stays at the Irish Exit. 8-)

Haha Pens would still be relevant at this bar. I'm assuming a lot of Pitt transplants. Where in the city do you live?