It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lamar Jackson
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:51 pm 

I admit it, I was a fan. It is very, very early but man those mechanics are putrid. I'll put it this way: Jackson looked like Josh Dobbs last pre-season. I see why Ravens media hasn't been getting overly excited. The kid has a ton of work to do. Not saying it isn't possible but that out he soft-toss for an Int tonight was Landry Jones rookie season bad. That is a throw QBs in this league have to make on a regular basis.

Yes, he can run but if he runs like he did tonight against total scrubs he won't last in the NFL very long. He was taking some shots and had his legs bent at some "oh shit" angles on more than one occasion.

I was, to say the least, underwhelmed. Though it was amusing watching Collinsworth giving him a national audience hand job then get very, very quiet once it dawned on him how raw Jackson looked.

Post subject: Re: Lamar Jackson
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:41 am 

RG3 part deux.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:21 am 

steelclan wrote:
I admit it, I was a fan. It is very, very early but man those mechanics are putrid. I'll put it this way: Jackson looked like Josh Dobbs last pre-season. I see why Ravens media hasn't been getting overly excited. The kid has a ton of work to do. Not saying it isn't possible but that out he soft-toss for an Int tonight was Landry Jones rookie season bad. That is a throw QBs in this league have to make on a regular basis.

Yes, he can run but if he runs like he did tonight against total scrubs he won't last in the NFL very long. He was taking some shots and had his legs bent at some "oh shit" angles on more than one occasion.

I was, to say the least, underwhelmed. Though it was amusing watching Collinsworth giving him a national audience hand job then get very, very quiet once it dawned on him how raw Jackson looked.

Right on with that “ national audience hand job” :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:40 am 

SteelThrillsseeker wrote:
steelclan wrote:

+2.

I mean who doesn’t love a great hand job analogy? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:49 am 

He just never had consistent NFL accuracy. When he'd miss guys it wasn't just a case of him leading them too far or a throw to a back shoulder when it should have been front shoulder, he'd miss by like 5 yards. He'll be a turnover machine until his confidence gets shattered, then he'll just outright suck.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:01 pm 

TB wrote:
He just never had consistent NFL accuracy. When he'd miss guys it wasn't just a case of him leading them too far or a throw to a back shoulder when it should have been front shoulder, he'd miss by like 5 yards. He'll be a turnover machine until his confidence gets shattered, then he'll just outright suck.

I'd have less of an issue with this if Ravens had time to get him ready. That is now predicated on Flacco's performance. If past 2 seasons are a guide that will soon develop into fans yelling for a change. Never know, Flacco might be better but given how low a bar that is from last season, will better be good enough? If it isn't, what then? RGIII? The baying for LJ will become deafening. He as of right now isn't ready to answer those cries when they come. One game, of course, isn't defining but ...

I'd be more inclined to write this off as rookie jitters in the first game but reports from Rat Camp confirm exactly what we saw last night: inconsistent, fluttery balls, impatience in the pocket & raw. Especially his Mechanics, which as I noted look atrocious.

For example; if you look at his footwork it is little wonder he has trouble with accuracy. His feet are way to close together and thus he throws from a really narrow base. This means balls sail on him all the time.

One thing did surprise me. 3rd and 4th stringers for Bears coped fairly well with LJ as a runner. He didn't look near as explosive as he did in College. Vick even as a rookie looked far faster than anyone else on the field. So I think that comparison is pure optimism.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:03 pm 

I thought he looked better than Dobbs... he is far from the worst 2nd/3rd string QB in the league. My guess is: he is capable of looking terrible but is a gamer... if you put him in a game and tell him to win however he needs to win, probably would fare pretty well.

He doesn't have close to Vicks speed, though... that's ridiculous. He looks a lot like a Robert Griffin who is a little better reading the D. He's going to get killed vs the blitz, though, if he doesn't learn to sniff it out, call protections, and get rid of the football.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:27 pm 

What a suprise.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:46 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
I thought he looked better than Dobbs... he is far from the worst 2nd/3rd string QB in the league. My guess is: he is capable of looking terrible but is a gamer... if you put him in a game and tell him to win however he needs to win, probably would fare pretty well.

He doesn't have close to Vicks speed, though... that's ridiculous. He looks a lot like a Robert Griffin who is a little better reading the D. He's going to get killed vs the blitz, though, if he doesn't learn to sniff it out, call protections, and get rid of the football.

Maybe but I don't see "gamer" being a long-term answer at QB. What is remarkable to me is his mechanics. In the sense, Ravens have had him in OTAs and now 2 1/2 weeks of camp...what have they done to fix his throwing base? On tape from college, he had a really narrow throwing base which of course was one of the primary reasons for accuracy issues. This wasn't a mystery.

Last night everything he threw was from that narrow base. Instead of hyping up his athleticism and telling everyone in media how good he will be why haven't Raven's coaches done everything possible to fix that flaw? I'm assuming they haven't, of course, they may have but if so fuck me they've done a poor job.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:43 pm 

He's a better player than Dobbs, but Dobbs is complete shit. Dobbs will be out of the league faster than you can say "my pretty penis!"

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:21 am 

Update:

Game II:

First drive: Jackson got to play behind the starting oline (sans Yanda). He started better, though he was helped by Chris Moore making a circus catch. He had a nice run for a TD.

On following drives Jackson struggled with accuracy, reading a defense and again had a tendency to set off running when the 1st or 2nd read wasn't open initially.

7 for 18 is poor yes he had one bad drop but also Moore and Allen made great catches to bail him out on poor throws. Plus Rams dropped one easy Int and one more difficult. Jackson faced 2nd and 3rd stringers.
Media are pushing Jackson's TD run and that he played "better". If there was any improvement it was marginal at best. I saw the exact same issues he had in college, HOF game: narrow base, 3/4 release & inability to go through progressions. Rats coaching staff are either being ignored (doubtful Jackson is a good kid) or more likely doing a piss poor job coaching him up.

Still too early to make a conclusive judgment but it seems obvious Jackson has work to do to be the primary backup and further to be a starter.

Side note: The Rams rested 20 of their 22 starters for the game. Even Flacco was going up against a slew of backups.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:14 pm 

Steel Ubaldo wrote:
SteelThrillsseeker wrote:
steelclan wrote:

+2.

I mean who doesn’t love a great hand job analogy? :lol:

+3 :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:15 pm 

He has arm talent and a brain, but he will only be a good NFL QB if he fixes his mechanics. I think he is too proud to fix them until he fails spectacularly, in which case he may not get the opportunity.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:29 pm 

stillenigma wrote:
He has arm talent and a brain, but he will only be a good NFL QB if he fixes his mechanics. I think he is too proud to fix them until he fails spectacularly, in which case he may not get the opportunity.

I actually believe he would be willing to change. I have no faith in Ravens coaching. None. Draft a first rounder with obvious flaws? You go to work on them immediately. If they are reluctant to change that should have been obvious in the pre-draft interview, workout visit process. I like Jackson (yes I'm critical) and genuinely thought if he went to the right team he would have a real shot to be special. There is still plenty of time but Ravens have had him off and on for close to 3 1/2 months and he looks like the same player he did at Louisville.