It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Lamar Jackson
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:40 pm
Posts: 3187
I admit it, I was a fan. It is very, very early but man those mechanics are putrid. I'll put it this way: Jackson looked like Josh Dobbs last pre-season. I see why Ravens media hasn't been getting overly excited. The kid has a ton of work to do. Not saying it isn't possible but that out he soft-toss for an Int tonight was Landry Jones rookie season bad. That is a throw QBs in this league have to make on a regular basis.

Yes, he can run but if he runs like he did tonight against total scrubs he won't last in the NFL very long. He was taking some shots and had his legs bent at some "oh shit" angles on more than one occasion.

I was, to say the least, underwhelmed. Though it was amusing watching Collinsworth giving him a national audience hand job then get very, very quiet once it dawned on him how raw Jackson looked.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lamar Jackson
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:13 pm
Posts: 870
RG3 part deux.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lamar Jackson
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:14 pm
Posts: 3253
Location: Upstate NY
steelclan wrote:
I admit it, I was a fan. It is very, very early but man those mechanics are putrid. I'll put it this way: Jackson looked like Josh Dobbs last pre-season. I see why Ravens media hasn't been getting overly excited. The kid has a ton of work to do. Not saying it isn't possible but that out he soft-toss for an Int tonight was Landry Jones rookie season bad. That is a throw QBs in this league have to make on a regular basis.

Yes, he can run but if he runs like he did tonight against total scrubs he won't last in the NFL very long. He was taking some shots and had his legs bent at some "oh shit" angles on more than one occasion.

I was, to say the least, underwhelmed. Though it was amusing watching Collinsworth giving him a national audience hand job then get very, very quiet once it dawned on him how raw Jackson looked.



Right on with that “ national audience hand job” :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lamar Jackson
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:40 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:19 pm
Posts: 2243
SteelThrillsseeker wrote:
steelclan wrote:
I admit it, I was a fan. It is very, very early but man those mechanics are putrid. I'll put it this way: Jackson looked like Josh Dobbs last pre-season. I see why Ravens media hasn't been getting overly excited. The kid has a ton of work to do. Not saying it isn't possible but that out he soft-toss for an Int tonight was Landry Jones rookie season bad. That is a throw QBs in this league have to make on a regular basis.

Yes, he can run but if he runs like he did tonight against total scrubs he won't last in the NFL very long. He was taking some shots and had his legs bent at some "oh shit" angles on more than one occasion.

I was, to say the least, underwhelmed. Though it was amusing watching Collinsworth giving him a national audience hand job then get very, very quiet once it dawned on him how raw Jackson looked.



Right on with that “ national audience hand job” :lol:


+2.

I mean who doesn’t love a great hand job analogy? :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lamar Jackson
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:13 pm
Posts: 3855
He just never had consistent NFL accuracy. When he'd miss guys it wasn't just a case of him leading them too far or a throw to a back shoulder when it should have been front shoulder, he'd miss by like 5 yards. He'll be a turnover machine until his confidence gets shattered, then he'll just outright suck.

_________________
SteelThrillsseeker wrote:
Dad showed up after work and according to her the entire hospital hears my dad yell you are not naming our son Hoss.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lamar Jackson
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:40 pm
Posts: 3187
TB wrote:
He just never had consistent NFL accuracy. When he'd miss guys it wasn't just a case of him leading them too far or a throw to a back shoulder when it should have been front shoulder, he'd miss by like 5 yards. He'll be a turnover machine until his confidence gets shattered, then he'll just outright suck.


I'd have less of an issue with this if Ravens had time to get him ready. That is now predicated on Flacco's performance. If past 2 seasons are a guide that will soon develop into fans yelling for a change. Never know, Flacco might be better but given how low a bar that is from last season, will better be good enough? If it isn't, what then? RGIII? The baying for LJ will become deafening. He as of right now isn't ready to answer those cries when they come. One game, of course, isn't defining but ...

I'd be more inclined to write this off as rookie jitters in the first game but reports from Rat Camp confirm exactly what we saw last night: inconsistent, fluttery balls, impatience in the pocket & raw. Especially his Mechanics, which as I noted look atrocious.

For example; if you look at his footwork it is little wonder he has trouble with accuracy. His feet are way to close together and thus he throws from a really narrow base. This means balls sail on him all the time.

One thing did surprise me. 3rd and 4th stringers for Bears coped fairly well with LJ as a runner. He didn't look near as explosive as he did in College. Vick even as a rookie looked far faster than anyone else on the field. So I think that comparison is pure optimism.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lamar Jackson
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16076
I thought he looked better than Dobbs... he is far from the worst 2nd/3rd string QB in the league. My guess is: he is capable of looking terrible but is a gamer... if you put him in a game and tell him to win however he needs to win, probably would fare pretty well.

He doesn't have close to Vicks speed, though... that's ridiculous. He looks a lot like a Robert Griffin who is a little better reading the D. He's going to get killed vs the blitz, though, if he doesn't learn to sniff it out, call protections, and get rid of the football.

_________________
Suwanee88 wrote:
But it’s your fault that you are kind of a stubborn jagoff that would argue with a fence post


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lamar Jackson
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:18 pm
Posts: 268
Location: Youngstown, Ohio
What a suprise.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lamar Jackson
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:40 pm
Posts: 3187
bradshaw2ben wrote:
I thought he looked better than Dobbs... he is far from the worst 2nd/3rd string QB in the league. My guess is: he is capable of looking terrible but is a gamer... if you put him in a game and tell him to win however he needs to win, probably would fare pretty well.

He doesn't have close to Vicks speed, though... that's ridiculous. He looks a lot like a Robert Griffin who is a little better reading the D. He's going to get killed vs the blitz, though, if he doesn't learn to sniff it out, call protections, and get rid of the football.


Maybe but I don't see "gamer" being a long-term answer at QB. What is remarkable to me is his mechanics. In the sense, Ravens have had him in OTAs and now 2 1/2 weeks of camp...what have they done to fix his throwing base? On tape from college, he had a really narrow throwing base which of course was one of the primary reasons for accuracy issues. This wasn't a mystery.

Last night everything he threw was from that narrow base. Instead of hyping up his athleticism and telling everyone in media how good he will be why haven't Raven's coaches done everything possible to fix that flaw? I'm assuming they haven't, of course, they may have but if so fuck me they've done a poor job.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Lamar Jackson
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:13 pm
Posts: 3855
He's a better player than Dobbs, but Dobbs is complete shit. Dobbs will be out of the league faster than you can say "my pretty penis!"

_________________
SteelThrillsseeker wrote:
Dad showed up after work and according to her the entire hospital hears my dad yell you are not naming our son Hoss.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group