It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: AB vs. Jerry Rice at 30
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:21 am 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24005878/antonio-brown-30-next-nfl-most-prolific-receiver

AB turns 30 this summer. Here's how he stacks up against the WR GOAT. Pretty damn impressive.

Post subject: Re: AB vs. Jerry Rice at 30
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:40 am 

Never forget who has thrown the football to AB his entire career.

And Rice had Montana/Young.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:38 am 

I love AB. He needs a ring to lay any claim to GOAT. In fact, just talking Steelers, I take Swann. Stallworth and Ward over him as Steelers' GOAT WR. You've got to come up big in the biggest situations like the aforementioned. Swann MVP X. Ward MVP XL. Stallworth should have been MVP XIV. AB hasn't come up big like that yet.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:13 pm 

Obviously wrote:
You've got to come up big in the biggest situations like the aforementioned. Swann MVP X. Ward MVP XL. Stallworth should have been MVP XIV. AB hasn't come up big like that yet.

Ummm, what?!?

Excluding his rookie year, AB has averaged 6.5 catches and 106 yards per playoff game and has consistently been the guy that has come through when most of the players around him haven't.

JAX last year was a fantastic example of that. He had 132 yards and 2 TDs despite playing hurt and against one of the best corners in the game (who had safety help, to boot). Every time JAX would seem to do something to pull away, AB was right there with another big play to get us back in it.

If you're trying to say AB isn't better than those guys specifically because he hasn't made those plays in a Super Bowl, then I'm going to counter by saying that's some insane yinzer criteria specifically meant to protect the legacy of a bunch of retired guys you're afraid of somehow tarnishing.

Cause I look at what AB has done, especially in the playoffs, and think he's met and surpassed all of those guys. He's made huge plays when needed and always seems to come through when needed. Just because those plays haven't happened in a Super Bowl means jack squat, considering you can't possibly put him at fault for that.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:22 pm 

What Swann and Stallworth accomplished post season > than what Ab has accomplished post season. You can add Holmes to that list and arguably Ward too.

I'm not saying it's AB's fault. A lot of what happens in sports is about opportunity.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:34 pm 

Well, AB is no Marvin Harrison (I think he's the HOFer who's numbers fell off a cliff in the post-season....although some of that might be who was throwing him the ball :lol: ).

But, seriously, AB's numbers have been pretty damn good in the playoffs. Most people's number go down at least a little because the defenses are better and the gameplanning more specific....but his numbers hold pretty constant from the regular season.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:42 pm 

Rice's numbers are amazing, partly because he kept doing it into his later 30's. He was also a notoriously hard worker to stay in NFL shape well beyond an age most guys have retired.

That TD mark might be untouchable. AB has an outside shot at catching him in Yards and Receptions, if he can stay healthy and defy father time.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:06 pm 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Obviously wrote:
You've got to come up big in the biggest situations like the aforementioned. Swann MVP X. Ward MVP XL. Stallworth should have been MVP XIV. AB hasn't come up big like that yet.

Ummm, what?!?

Excluding his rookie year, AB has averaged 6.5 catches and 106 yards per playoff game and has consistently been the guy that has come through when most of the players around him haven't.

JAX last year was a fantastic example of that. He had 132 yards and 2 TDs despite playing hurt and against one of the best corners in the game (who had safety help, to boot). Every time JAX would seem to do something to pull away, AB was right there with another big play to get us back in it.

If you're trying to say AB isn't better than those guys specifically because he hasn't made those plays in a Super Bowl, then I'm going to counter by saying that's some insane yinzer criteria specifically meant to protect the legacy of a bunch of retired guys you're afraid of somehow tarnishing.

Cause I look at what AB has done, especially in the playoffs, and think he's met and surpassed all of those guys. He's made huge plays when needed and always seems to come through when needed. Just because those plays haven't happened in a Super Bowl means jack squat, considering you can't possibly put him at fault for that.

Not a yinzer, but nice try slapping your labels on me.

And just to spoil your misconceptions about me, I'd love nothing more than for AB to surpass the three guys I mentioned. Just like I would love for Tomlin to be the best head coach in Steelers history.

Havoc is spot on with his post.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:08 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
Rice's numbers are amazing, partly because he kept doing it into his later 30's. He was also a notoriously hard worker to stay in NFL shape well beyond an age most guys have retired.

That TD mark might be untouchable. AB has an outside shot at catching him in Yards and Receptions, if he can stay healthy and defy father time.

In terms of TDs, AB is never going to sniff Rice's numbers. Way too behind the curve, there.

I blame Ben! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:26 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
Kodiak wrote:

In terms of TDs, AB is never going to sniff Rice's numbers. Way too behind the curve, there.

I blame Ben! :lol:

We certainly can't blame Tomlin because we know he puts game outcomes at risk so AB can keep personal records going.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next