It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Adonis Alexander
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:26 am 

Quote:
@Gil_Brandt
One team told me they viewed Beal as 2nd-round pick had he been in 2018 draft, but that round likely to be lower in sup draft. Keep eye on teams with extra picks in Rounds 3-4 next year, including Browns (Round 3) and Bills (4). https://twitter.com/Gil_Brandt/status/1 ... 5233902592
Fairly expensive....

Quote:
@Gil_Brandt
Late add to supplemental draft pool: Grand Valley State RB Martayveus Carter, one of the top players in D2. That brings number for July 11 draft to 5:

CB Adonis Alexander
CB Sam Beal
S Brandon Bryant
RB Martayveus Carter
LB Bright Ugwoegbu
https://twitter.com/Gil_Brandt/status/1 ... 1389914113

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:50 am 

Honest question...have the Steelers ever used a pick in the supplemental draft?

We're all in this together. This is a full-blown, four-alarm holiday emergency here. We're gonna press on, and we're gonna have the hap, hap, happiest Christmas since Bing Crosby tap-danced with Danny fucking Kaye. -Clark W. Griswald
#CdnSteelerFanStrong

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:41 am 

I don't know of even once they've drafted a player in the supplemental draft. Doesn't mean it's not possible. First time for everything?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:36 am 

With so many teams that are flush with draft picks every year, it does beg the question why wouldn't a team take a chance on players in the supplemental draft. Yeah, there has to be players available to dabble in it but this year there are now 5 players.

Beal would be the only one I am interested in. Hilton is great but strictly a slot CB. I still sort of think that Cam Sutton will ultimately end up as a safety. Haden I like but he has been injury prone the past couple seasons and is making over $9 million a year. Gay is gone, Sensabaugh is meh, you really only have Brian Allen as that potential boundary outside CB. Yeah, Burns is entering just his 3rd season and under contract for 4 years but is he really going to be worth resigning for the huge amount of money that CBs are currently getting? I feel we do have very good depth at CB but there are a lot of ifs and things could unravel quickly, sort of like how we all thought we were set at WR with Bryant coming back, Sammie Coates healed up from injury and Rogers and Brown all good to go. They drafted JuJu in round 2, many complained, felt it wasn't a need, but look one year later, Bryant, Coates and Rogers are not on the team. Jerry Glanville used to say the NFL stands for 'Not for Long'. So, while the CB group looks good on paper, can you ever just stand pat if a prospect you like is available?

A 3rd round pick on Beal might sound ludicrous, but that 3rd round pick might be pick 93-96 the following year. Would you really be able to land a CB like Beal at the end of round 3 in next year's draft? And in the meantime you currently have that player on your team. I wouldn't be against it if they made the pick. And as I posted earlier, they have to be really familiar with him having scouted and drafted his teammates Kieon Adams and Chuks the past two years.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:31 pm 

Fully agree Scunge. There can never be enough contingency depth on the roster. If Beal is their choice I'd be good with that. If you read above it was no secret the Steelers seemed interested in the safety Bryant. Attended his pro day. Haven't heard anything relevant to Beal, but like you've mentioned they have to be familiar with him as they've drafted a couple of his team mates already. We'll see. I think Beal is the highest sought after in this supplemental draft. I think Alexander could be that transition type player and he's moved to safety. The rest could go undrafted and be UDFA's....

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:24 pm 

Scunge wrote:
With so many teams that are flush with draft picks every year, it does beg the question why wouldn't a team take a chance on players in the supplemental draft.

Seems like only a few players have been taken in the supplemental draft, period. If you would take that guy in the 6th round in a normal draft, then why don't you pull the trigger? It's not as if most teams couldn't find a roster spot, or practiice squad.

Makes one wonder if there isn't some sort of silent collusion, that they aren't going to turn the supplemental draft into a viable path - you've got to be really good and have a really good reason for being there to get picked.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:31 pm 

I know everybody throws out those famous supplemental draft picks like Chris Carter and Bernie Kosar and Josh Gordon but there were many other quality picks too over the years.

Jamaal Williams, NT, San Diego's long time starter in the middle. I know I may be in the minority but I always thought he was better than Casey Hampton. 350 pounder who was just as stout as Hampton against the run but also got a great push as a pass rusher and always seemed to get his hands up to tip passes and was better at occasionally dropping into coverage ( 19 passes defensed). SD spent a 2nd round pick on him.

Rob Moore, WR, Jets spent a 1st on him, he was a two time Pro Bowler ended 10 year career with 628 catches and nearly 9,400 yards, made the Pro Bowl once for the Jets and once for Arizona. For the Cards he had a monster 97 catch, 1548 yards, 8 TD year.

Mike Wahle, G, Green Bay, they spent a 2nd round pick on him, he played 11 years, made the Pro Bowl with Carolina

Ahmad Brooks, OLB, Cincy, They spent a 3rd round pick on him, but he went to the 49ers later and in 8 years with them had 51.5 sacks and made the Pro Bowl.

Bobby Humphrey, RB, Denver, he did have two back to back 1,000 yard seasons, made the Pro Bowl his second year but then held out his 3rd season and then was traded to Miami, played one year and was out of the NFL. A weird player. I always thought that him holding out, wanting more money was just crazy for the time, this was before the changes in free agency in 1993. In hindsight, if he had just played out his original contract with Denver he probably could have been one of the first players to cash in on free agency in 93.

So, it is possible to find Pro Bowl caliber players in the supplemental draft.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:16 pm 

Corner Alexander to the Redskins 6th RND pick
Corner Beal to the Giants 3rd RND pick
Safety Bryant to the Jets UDFA
RB Carter and LB Ugwoegbu went undrafted and unsigned.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/7/10/ ... r-sam-beal