It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Jaylen Samuels TE/FB/WR 5th RND 165th overall
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:35 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
I guess because everyone is about to start running the ball at these package defenses.

All the more reason to have a bigger back, though... and those four really good big backs didn't go in first two days of the draft.

Gotta figure that's a motivating factor in the way backs are getting selected, but as for the bigger backs in later rounds, I'm not so sure. Could be teams looking for higher profile production? Maybe "big" to them is 220? I liked what I was able to find of Warren after you brought him up, so I'm grasping at straws a little to explain.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:13 pm 

Maybe this is covered elsewhere. But can Samuels block? That seems pretty important for a FB/TE, especially if he is integral to the passing game. Also, very much a valued skill for Steeler skill players (except quarterbacks…although I think Ben threw a key block in the Seattle Superbowl win (right?)?

Not saying, just asking.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:17 pm 

Also probably the major piece that holds rookie RB back from getting carries their first year. Was part of Conner's issue, if I recall correctly.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:53 pm 

Samuels didn't block a lot, because he was their leading receiver.

But, also, there is no way he is a TE/FB in the NFL.

He did okay blocking but rarely did so from the backfield, that I saw.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:06 pm 

Quote:
But if the team’s recently completed minicamp is any indication that versatility will continue in the NFL.

“They have me playing a lot of different positions,” said Samuels. “Right now they have me in the backfield, running the ball as well. Also in the slot, moving around. Playing outside receiver. Pretty much what I was doing in college..."

https://www.steelers.com/news/versatility-is-a-key-for-samuels

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:55 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Samuels didn't block a lot, because he was their leading receiver.

But, also, there is no way he is a TE/FB in the NFL.

He did okay blocking but rarely did so from the backfield, that I saw.

Thanks. And I agree he’s not probably a TE. Gonna be fun to see what he IS though.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:46 pm 

Might have been covered (probably was), but why was this guy a 5th rounder? Jack of all trades, master of none kind of situation? At a devalued position? Or he doesn't have a true position at all?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:57 pm 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Jobus Rum wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
BTW, Jalen Samuels finished as the leading receiver in the history of NC State Football... passing Torry Holt and Jerrico Cotchery.

:shock:

I wonder how many times a week IC wakes up in a cold sweat yelling "COOOOOTCH!!!!" at the top of his lungs...

Probably the same number of times that Limas Sweed wakes up wondering why he isn't employed in the NFL.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:39 pm 

Samuels will reveal himself when the games begin, preseason, etc.

In terms of whether he can play TE, why not? It depends on what your definition of TE is and how Fitchner may use the TEs. For example, there are many different types of TEs.

Yeah, Samuels at 6'0 225 pounds does not look like a Vance McDonald or Jesse James or Gronk, etc.

But what about teams that have used players that are smaller? There are always these smaller TEs or tweeners that scouts question how they will fit into the NFL.

Aaron Hernandez was 6'2" 245, ran a 4.65, he had 175 catches and 18 TDs in his 3 year NFL career before going to jail.

Washington's Jordan Reed was 6'2" 235, ran a 4.72 at the combine. He has put on probably 10 pounds, up around 245 I would guess now. He is an interesting comparison to Jaylen because Reed actually played some RB while at Florida his freshman year, but he also played some at QB, at TE, etc. He has 275 catches and 22 TDs in his first 5 years and has made the Pro Bowl.

Neither one of them is/was known for their blocking prowess.

Miami drafted Charles Clay and if you read the scouting report on him it sounds just like Samuel. They questioned if he had a position, he was a pass catching fullback in a spead offense and they did not know if he could be a lead blocker as a fullback, or be athletic enough to be a TE. He was 6'3 245 at the combine and ran a 4.73. Again, he has put on weight since then and is probably around 250-255. He has had 318 catches and 23 TD in his 7 year NFL career.

The Jets Quincy Enunwa goes 6'2" 225. Is he a WR? A slot WR? A TE? All of the above? When he was coming out there were many scouts that thought he would ultimately end up as an H-back and that is exactly what the JETs started to do with him. His 2017 season was derailed by injury but in 2015-2016 he had a combined 80 catches for 1,100 yards.

Samuels has weighed as much as 235-238 from what I have read and has slimmed down, he is shorter than most of these players that I have listed. He does not have their length and frame to add weight. But, he is arguably more athletic, that 4.54 40, 34.5 vertical and 6.93 3 cone time is impressive. If we had drafted an ILB that put up those numbers people would be freaking out. The thing is there are very few ILBs that can put up those numbers and even a lot of safeties that would be hard pressed to do so.

What he ends up being is yet to be determined but when I look at Hernandez, Reed, Clay and Enunwa and how scouts and GMs were concerned about how they would fit, well, it makes me feel pretty good about Jaylen's chances of carving out a role for himself in the NFL. It simply is not so cut and dried anymore. Many of the stereotypical cookie cutter descriptions and ultimately limitations we use for a TE, or a RB, or an ILB or S just do not matter much anymore.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:29 pm 

having watched him a lot, I think he's obviously a RB who can be a great receiver. He runs the stretch play as a one cut runner not just passably well... he runs it REALLY well. Then you see what he can do in the receiving game and on the occasional jet sweep. He's just a football player who could succeed anywhere, but I hope he's the RB of our future, because you can do anything with him.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next