It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs Caps Game 1 game comments
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:19 pm
Posts: 2319
Poltargyst wrote:
This team. Murray standing on his head, Crosby being Crosby.

This team has faced so much adversity over these years, and they just keep powering through. It's been a real pleasure to watch them. These are the glory days.


I couldn’t agree more. I love this team. The best of times is now.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs Caps Game 1 game comments
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:18 pm
Posts: 10606
man..this pregame on vegas game is really cool shit... :lol: :D like a las vegas show!! awesome


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs Caps Game 1 game comments
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 23454
Jake Guentzel.

32 postseason games.

20 goals.
17 assists.

Holy...fucking...shit.

_________________
“A set of several simple rules leads to complex, intelligent behavior. While a set of complex rules often leads to dumb and primitive behavior.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs Caps Game 1 game comments
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:18 pm
Posts: 10606
seems like vegas have popular anthem singer..like wayne newton :P


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs Caps Game 1 game comments
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:37 am
Posts: 1469
Jeemie wrote:
Jake Guentzel.

32 postseason games.

20 goals.
17 assists.

Holy...fucking...shit.


Must be nice to play with Sid. ;)

No shade, Guentzel has been great.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs Caps Game 1 game comments
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:55 pm
Posts: 1863
Remember all these positive thoughts and posts on Sunday if we happen to lose and everyone here loses their minds and declares them done.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs Caps Game 1 game comments
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 23454
Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Remember all these positive thoughts and posts on Sunday if we happen to lose and everyone here loses their minds and declares them done.


Not me. Happy to steal home ice without Malkin and Hagelin.

Hope they're both back and that Hornqvist is OK.

_________________
“A set of several simple rules leads to complex, intelligent behavior. While a set of complex rules often leads to dumb and primitive behavior.”


Last edited by Jeemie on Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs Caps Game 1 game comments
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm
Posts: 7345
Jeemie wrote:
Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Remember all these positive thoughts and posts on Sunday if we happen to lose and everyone here loses their minds and declares them done.


Not me. Happy to steal home ice without malign or haggling.

Hope they're both back and that Hornqvist is OK.


Absolutely agreed! Game 2 is House Money!!

Amazing fuckin' game!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs Caps Game 1 game comments
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:50 pm
Posts: 4527
I watched it on DVR......one of the most exciting games I have seen! Amazing comeback.

Must say, Dumo has become our best defenseman no question and a rising star in this league!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs Caps Game 1 game comments
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:22 am
Posts: 9296
The Pens played good but they can play much better. It was shitty to be down that early; likely deflated them a bit which is why the chances didn’t come until the end of the 1st period. The 4th line took much of the game off but provided a great shift towards the end of the game, cycling the puck and using the points.

I’m telling you, OV, Kuznetsov and Oshie; after that, there is a huge void of talent on the Caps roster. Orlov is pretty good but really none of their other defense scare me that much.

Just can’t have any lapses like they did 17 seconds in. And the commentators called something I notice when watching them this year as well; they absolutely love to send the far winger streaking up the ice. When it’s OV, great. But the other guys; well just keep an eye on it.

Pens played discipline hockey. Even the late high stick penalty was totally fluky since Guentzel got spun around on Smith Pelly’s check attempt. Stay out of the box and the Ws will come much easier.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs Caps Game 1 game comments
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm
Posts: 7345
Sid-Jack from State Farm-Horny on the ice for all five goals in this game; Ovie line on for four of the five.

LOVE those Ovie fuck-ups (Sid's goal).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs Caps Game 1 game comments
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:50 pm
Posts: 4527
Orangesteel wrote:
The Pens played good but they can play much better. It was shitty to be down that early; likely deflated them a bit which is why the chances didn’t come until the end of the 1st period. The 4th line took much of the game off but provided a great shift towards the end of the game, cycling the puck and using the points.

I’m telling you, OV, Kuznetsov and Oshie; after that, there is a huge void of talent on the Caps roster. Orlov is pretty good but really none of their other defense scare me that much.

Just can’t have any lapses like they did 17 seconds in. And the commentators called something I notice when watching them this year as well; they absolutely love to send the far winger streaking up the ice. When it’s OV, great. But the other guys; well just keep an eye on it.

Pens played discipline hockey. Even the late high stick penalty was totally fluky since Guentzel got spun around on Smith Pelly’s check attempt. Stay out of the box and the Ws will come much easier.


Agree about the Caps Orange. They aren’t as scary as last year at least on paper.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs Caps Game 1 game comments
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:55 pm
Posts: 4494
2nd Pens goal is all you need to know about the difference between what it takes to win

Ovi doesn't move his feet at all in the defensive zone. He'll go balls to the wall if he's got the puck or someone is gonna get him the puck for a scoring opportunity. Other than that- he's just not interested in any defensive facet of the game.

That 2nd goal...even if he moves his feet to get closer to Sid, that puck probably isn't even passed/attempted over because the lane is gone. Ovi was and continues to not understand the effort it takes from a team defense standpoint to win in the playoffs. Hell Phil Kessell is a better playoff defender than Ovi- that is not exaggeration


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs Caps Game 1 game comments
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:04 pm
Posts: 2924
Donnie Brasco wrote:
2nd Pens goal is all you need to know about the difference between what it takes to win

Ovi doesn't move his feet at all in the defensive zone. He'll go balls to the wall if he's got the puck or someone is gonna get him the puck for a scoring opportunity. Other than that- he's just not interested in any defensive facet of the game.

That 2nd goal...even if he moves his feet to get closer to Sid, that puck probably isn't even passed/attempted over because the lane is gone. Ovi was and continues to not understand the effort it takes from a team defense standpoint to win in the playoffs. Hell Phil Kessell is a better playoff defender than Ovi- that is not exaggeration



But, but I saw Ovie block a shot in game 5 against Columbus.

That miss early in the first period where he had half the net to bury it and he missed(badly) summed it up last night.

I think he understands what needs to be done but it doesn't fit the kind of game he wants to play.
Great goal scorer, beastly at times but all around...nope.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs Caps Game 1 game comments
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:13 pm
Posts: 1735
fractalsteel wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:
2nd Pens goal is all you need to know about the difference between what it takes to win

Ovi doesn't move his feet at all in the defensive zone. He'll go balls to the wall if he's got the puck or someone is gonna get him the puck for a scoring opportunity. Other than that- he's just not interested in any defensive facet of the game.

That 2nd goal...even if he moves his feet to get closer to Sid, that puck probably isn't even passed/attempted over because the lane is gone. Ovi was and continues to not understand the effort it takes from a team defense standpoint to win in the playoffs. Hell Phil Kessell is a better playoff defender than Ovi- that is not exaggeration



But, but I saw Ovie block a shot in game 5 against Columbus.

That miss early in the first period where he had half the net to bury it and he missed(badly) summed it up last night.

I think he understands what needs to be done but it doesn't fit the kind of game he wants to play.
Great goal scorer, beastly at times but all around...nope.

Wasn't it Ovie that flopped down in front of Schultz on the first goal as well? All that seemed to do was give Schultz a clear lane to fire it toward the net.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs Caps Game 1 game comments
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm
Posts: 7345
Pabst wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:
2nd Pens goal is all you need to know about the difference between what it takes to win

Ovi doesn't move his feet at all in the defensive zone. He'll go balls to the wall if he's got the puck or someone is gonna get him the puck for a scoring opportunity. Other than that- he's just not interested in any defensive facet of the game.

That 2nd goal...even if he moves his feet to get closer to Sid, that puck probably isn't even passed/attempted over because the lane is gone. Ovi was and continues to not understand the effort it takes from a team defense standpoint to win in the playoffs. Hell Phil Kessell is a better playoff defender than Ovi- that is not exaggeration



But, but I saw Ovie block a shot in game 5 against Columbus.

That miss early in the first period where he had half the net to bury it and he missed(badly) summed it up last night.

I think he understands what needs to be done but it doesn't fit the kind of game he wants to play.
Great goal scorer, beastly at times but all around...nope.

Wasn't it Ovie that flopped down in front of Schultz on the first goal as well? All that seemed to do was give Schultz a clear lane to fire it toward the net.


Yes it was...weak-assed attempt at a block.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs Caps Game 1 game comments
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:22 am
Posts: 9296
Donnie Brasco wrote:
2nd Pens goal is all you need to know about the difference between what it takes to win

Ovi doesn't move his feet at all in the defensive zone. He'll go balls to the wall if he's got the puck or someone is gonna get him the puck for a scoring opportunity. Other than that- he's just not interested in any defensive facet of the game.

That 2nd goal...even if he moves his feet to get closer to Sid, that puck probably isn't even passed/attempted over because the lane is gone. Ovi was and continues to not understand the effort it takes from a team defense standpoint to win in the playoffs. Hell Phil Kessell is a better playoff defender than Ovi- that is not exaggeration


So true. reminds me of that meme a few years ago where it literally looked like someone unplugged Ovie’s XBOX controller. That’s how bad he often is in his own zone.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs Caps Game 1 game comments
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:13 pm
Posts: 1735
Orangesteel wrote:
So true. reminds me of that meme a few years ago where it literally looked like someone unplugged Ovie’s XBOX controller. That’s how bad he often is in his own zone.

Image

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs Caps Game 1 game comments
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:55 pm
Posts: 4494
Pabst wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:
So true. reminds me of that meme a few years ago where it literally looked like someone unplugged Ovie’s XBOX controller. That’s how bad he often is in his own zone.

Image


Never gets old

And yes that was Ovi who flopped on the ice to try and block Schultz's shot.
Again, that's a detail Ovi misses: if that's Letang, yup get down on the ice because Letang has his head down and he'll probably either miss the net completely or blow it right into your shinpad. But Schultzy is the LAST guy you want to try that against because he's so good at holding the line at the point. It's a tall order for any F at the point vs JS, but he can't erase himself from the play and that's precisely what Ovi did.

Ovi is completely lost withouth the puck and it blows my mind he's got such a low defensive hockey IQ and that he doesn't understand he has to put some effort into stopping the goals as much as creating them. I just don't fuckin get it....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs Caps Game 1 game comments
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:17 pm
Posts: 1433
Pabst wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:
So true. reminds me of that meme a few years ago where it literally looked like someone unplugged Ovie’s XBOX controller. That’s how bad he often is in his own zone.

Image


Yeah, about that...
Image

_________________
steel wrote:
game over boys


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs Caps Game 1 game comments
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 23454
Yes but Sid has grown into a very good two-way player...Ovi has not.

_________________
“A set of several simple rules leads to complex, intelligent behavior. While a set of complex rules often leads to dumb and primitive behavior.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs Caps Game 1 game comments
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:17 pm
Posts: 1433
Jeemie wrote:
Yes but Sid has grown into a very good two-way player...Ovi has not.


Crosby came out of the fucking womb ready to play that style of game. Ovie is a sniper. I laugh as hard as you guys do when he tries to play defense. At least he tried to give up his body to block the shot, Schultz was just patient and rendered the effort useless.

You want to kill him for shanking the early 2-on-1 in the first, that's another story...that was most definitely an Ovech-choke at the worst possible time. And in retrospect ended up being the difference between OT and Yet Another Crushing Caps Home Playoff Loss(tm).

_________________
steel wrote:
game over boys


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs Caps Game 1 game comments
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:14 pm
Posts: 1261
DrMalba wrote:
Pabst wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:
So true. reminds me of that meme a few years ago where it literally looked like someone unplugged Ovie’s XBOX controller. That’s how bad he often is in his own zone.

Image


Yeah, about that...
Image


Those are vastly different plays. Two guys playing tic-tac-toe at the goal mouth against one helpless defender vs a play where a single player was making an offensive zone rush against a defender who was in position to seal him off. The D man just got schooled. I'm not saying Crosby wasn't negligent on this play, he might have been, but the OV play was a far more egregious example of an offensive player giving up his defensive duties.

_________________
Neal Huntington on what he's been told by his bosses about $$$: "We've got assurances we're going to be able to continue to do what we've done."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs Caps Game 1 game comments
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:04 pm
Posts: 2924
Jeemie wrote:
Yes but Sid has grown into a very good two-way player...Ovi has not.


And Crosby is a legit 200ft player(has been for a long time) and Ovie is not.


#8 can stick handle, pass, take a pass, speed by a defender or run them over and he rarely misses games. We all know about his shot and he is an all-time top 5 goal scorer in league history. What amazes me about his game is that most of his goals are the power variety. Ovie certainly has the skills to find open space, get to his point and make room for himself but he puts it in the net because of his overwhelming shot.
Top notch instincts as well.
His career has been one of the greatest the in the league the past decade.

With all those skills it is a wonder that he hasn't become a good defender. He is good enough to be a defensive nightmare but he is more like a whisper in that respect.

Makes you wonder...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pens vs Caps Game 1 game comments
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:04 pm
Posts: 2924
SteelPro wrote:
DrMalba wrote:
[

Yeah, about that...
Image


Those are vastly different plays. Two guys playing tic-tac-toe at the goal mouth against one helpless defender vs a play where a single player was making an offensive zone rush against a defender who was in position to seal him off. The D man just got schooled. I'm not saying Crosby wasn't negligent on this play, he might have been, but the OV play was a far more egregious example of an offensive player giving up his defensive duties.


That was Malkin engaged with the goal scorer and most likely that was on the PP. If so, then it is likely that Malkin was on one point and Crosby was down low or on the half wall meaning that Sid was in chase mode with a lot of ice to make up.
And who knows how long both had been on the ice before this took place.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group