It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: B2B’s 2018 Positional Rankings
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:29 pm 

http://steelerfurypodcast.com/b2bs-2018-nfl-draft-positional-rankings/

I might tweak a little between now and draft but this is pretty much it.

Feel free to tell me how I have failed humanity.

Post subject: Re: B2B’s 2018 Positional Rankings
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:56 pm 

Interesting B2B. I respect the time and work you put into this, and I’m om board with most of it.
But just to be that guy...
I think you have Sony Michel a bit too low, and Deontay Burnett way too low.
Tim Settle, Rashaan Evans, Malik Jefferson too high.
Maurice Hurst ranked at the top of his position group raised an eye...and once again, I just don’t understand the Skai Moore love.
The one position where I totally disagree is TE...but I’ll wait 2 years before I say “ I told you so”, regarding Dallas Goedert... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:25 pm 

I think Evans is about right. I just do not see much difference between him and Jefferson other than Evans is slower with better instincts.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:34 am 

Jobus Rum wrote:
Interesting B2B. I respect the time and work you put into this, and I’m om board with most of it.
Maurice Hurst ranked at the top of his position group raised an eye...and once again, I just don’t understand the Skai Moore love.
The one position where I totally disagree is TE...but I’ll wait 2 years before I say “ I told you so”, regarding Dallas Goedert... :mrgreen:

I really, really like Deontay Burnett. I don't think he's a big deep threat guy-- although he's young and could develop more. I had trouble putting him above the guys just ahead of him-- but bear in mind, I think those WRs are all pretty close. The 1st 12 in yellow are all good, all have some flaw or limitations, I'd be happy with any of them in black and gold.

Tim Settle is a solid mid 2nd rounder for all the really connected people following the draft. He's underaged and plays low and he's a big guy who can move. I'm also of the opinion that it's a very thin DL class, once you get past the guys in green, so that moves him up some, too. In the actual draft, Settle will go before some of the guys I have in green.

As for Sony Michel being too low... I have him 4th, at about the same grade as Rojo. That's a late 1st/early 2nd. Do you think he's better than that? The only mildly debatable part is: Thing about Goedert is: offers more as an Inline guy and seam threatener than the others. That's before you get to his hands or anything else. I value guys with inline more than guys who are strictly move TEs. Who do you like at TE, Jobus?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:03 am 

I completely agree with you on Landry as the best edge player. I'd grab him at 1.28 in a heartbeat but something tells me the Cheats will grab him with their new pick. He just has such great bend and explosion off the edge. Immediate upgrade to Dupree.

Lorenzo Carter to me is 100% an ILB in the NFL. He doesn't have the natural lean and bend that I like from an edge guy against NFL tackles. I wouldn't even consider him for that role.

B2B, I know you hate Evans. I see all of the same flaws you do with him. But, LVE scares me. He's very lanky for today's NFL. I also don't see the quickness and explosion on the playing field when I look at the tape. I also question how willing he will be to take a pounding game after game.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:33 am 

franco32 wrote:
I completely agree with you on Landry as the best edge player. I'd grab him at 1.28 in a heartbeat but something tells me the Cheats will grab him with their new pick. He just has such great bend and explosion off the edge. Immediate upgrade to Dupree.

Lorenzo Carter to me is 100% an ILB in the NFL. He doesn't have the natural lean and bend that I like from an edge guy against NFL tackles. I wouldn't even consider him for that role.

B2B, I know you hate Evans. I see all of the same flaws you do with him. But, LVE scares me. He's very lanky for today's NFL. I also don't see the quickness and explosion on the playing field when I look at the tape. I also question how willing he will be to take a pounding game after game.

It's hard to tell. Both LVE and Evans are one-year starters. At least LVE improved as the year went on, and played his best game last.

Thing is: I'm with Colbert on this... ILB class is not deep, and there are a lot of ???.
Edmunds: raw
LVE: tackler rather than hitter, one year starter
Evans: coverage, health
Carter: position projection, more athlete than football player
Nwosu: is he all-in for football? Is he inside or outside?
Skai Moore: fast enough? medicals
Warner: better fit at 4-3 SOLB? Instincts?
Malik Jefferson: smarts, fluidity
Shaquem: hand, can he get off blocks in interior?
Leonard: can he keep his weight up to 230? already added 40lbs in last two years.
Jermaine Carter, Andre Smith: too short?
Tegray Scales: too slow?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:34 am 

Quote:

In my terms: he's a blitzer, not a rusher. I think he could give you some good edge snaps against certain matchups but he's better as an off-ball guy.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:42 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
franco32 wrote:

It's hard to tell. Both LVE and Evans are one-year starters. At least LVE improved as the year went on, and played his best game last.

Thing is: I'm with Colbert on this... ILB class is not deep, and there are a lot of ???.
Edmunds: raw
LVE: tackler rather than hitter, one year starter
Evans: coverage, health
Carter: position projection, more athlete than football player
Nwosu: is he all-in for football? Is he inside or outside?
Skai Moore: fast enough? medicals
Warner: better fit at 4-3 SOLB? Instincts?
Malik Jefferson: smarts, fluidity
Shaquem: hand, can he get off blocks in interior?
Leonard: can he keep his height up to 230? already added 40lbs in last two years.
Jermaine Carter, Andre Smith: too short?
Tegray Scales: too slow?

add Shaun Dion Hamilton to the list IF he passes the medicals. He will have the Shazier HIGS/wrist circumference crowd going nuts.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:18 pm 

Shaun Dion Hamilton is a good player, but too small and way too injured.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:11 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Jobus Rum wrote:

I really, really like Deontay Burnett. I don't think he's a big deep threat guy-- although he's young and could develop more. I had trouble putting him above the guys just ahead of him-- but bear in mind, I think those WRs are all pretty close. The 1st 12 in yellow are all good, all have some flaw or limitations, I'd be happy with any of them in black and gold.

Tim Settle is a solid mid 2nd rounder for all the really connected people following the draft. He's underaged and plays low and he's a big guy who can move. I'm also of the opinion that it's a very thin DL class, once you get past the guys in green, so that moves him up some, too. In the actual draft, Settle will go before some of the guys I have in green.

As for Sony Michel being too low... I have him 4th, at about the same grade as Rojo. That's a late 1st/early 2nd. Do you think he's better than that? The only mildly debatable part is: Thing about Goedert is: offers more as an Inline guy and seam threatener than the others. That's before you get to his hands or anything else. I value guys with inline more than guys who are strictly move TEs. Who do you like at TE, Jobus?

Judging TEs is kinda tricky, because different teams look at different skill sets. Someone that the Steelers value, isn’t someone that the Pats might like...but of course, you know that.
I don’t think that there is a round one TE talent in this draft, but my favorite is, and you’re probably going to think I’m crazy, Ian Thomas. I think he has the potential to be a dynamic pro if he lands in the right system. He is going to improve off the charts. I’m not sure that the Steelers are right system.
I also like Gesicki, who I think will fit any system, and Hurst a bit less.
Of course, I could be totally wrong on Goedert...I know the experts are comparing him to Zach Ertz, but I see Maxx Williams.

You’re spot on concerning where Michel is likely to be drafted, I just would rank him ahead of both Jones and Guice. But I’m just splitting hairs...if the Steelers choose to go RB in the first, I’d b fine with any of those three. I just favor Michel.

Once again, I don’t study this stuff like some of you guys do, and I get a lot of tips on prospects from you and others. I just watch a lot of games during the season, and a lot of “highlight” snips, then form my own opinion. I’m certainly not married to my opinions. I pegged Ziggy Hood as a bust before the Steelers sprinted to the podium, and wanted no part of Jarvis Jones...in any round. I thought Mike Adams was going to be a long term answer at LT, and that LeVeon Bell was JAG...shows you what I know.
My most disliked player in this coming draft is Rashaan Evans. If the Steelers pull the trigger, I’ll root like hell for him to be great, even though I’m pretty sure he won’t be. I’m so-so on LVE. When you (and KC) talk about the slim ILB pool, I start wondering if the Steelers may not look at the spot in this draft. Ride with Bostic, and maybe someone they can pickup after cuts? Who knows?

Anyway...good stuff here guys. Very informative.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:25 pm 

Quote:
Of course, I could be totally wrong on Goedert...I know the experts are comparing him to Zach Ertz, but I see Maxx Williams.

I think he's straight up Travis Kelce style. Can block a little from inline, can get into the seam too fast for LBs to get back or for Safeties to come up. Catches everything.

I agree that Ian Thomas is intriguing. I think Ian Thomas and Deon Yelder are pretty close to the same kind of prospect. Both came on late, both are all-around TEs, and both can play in the NFL style game.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:35 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Quote:

I think he's straight up Travis Kelce style. Can block a little from inline, can get into the seam too fast for LBs to get back or for Safeties to come up. Catches everything.

But will he be able to carry that to the next level...where everyone is quicker, faster, stronger, smarter? LOC?
Hopefully, he’s not a dickhead...like Kelce. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:41 pm 

I’d kill to get Harold Landry in the 1st round, I’d even be okay with trading up for him.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:51 pm 

Just curious, what makes you think Josh Allen is such an outlier than he would be pretty much the only QB ever with such a low completion percentage to be an above average starter (I'm assuming he's projected to be that, unless you think all these QBs suck). I want to like him, but it seems to me he'll never be accurate enough in today's NFL - even if he can improve by 5 percent, which again, is pretty much unheard of.

By the way, I go Rosen, Mayfield, Darnold, Allen in that order. Rosen and Mayfield are close enough that it would be all about the interviews for me, were I a GM.

There are some other things that I would nitpick - Mike Hughes, Gesicki and Justin Reid would be swapped for Shaq Griffin, Rashaad Penny and Duke Ejiofor for me. But it's close enough.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:30 pm 

Quote:
Just curious, what makes you think Josh Allen is such an outlier than he would be pretty much the only QB ever with such a low completion percentage to be an above average starter (I'm assuming he's projected to be that, unless you think all these QBs suck).

First off, Josh Allen is one completion per game from having a 60% comp rate.

Secondly, look at Brett Favre's completion percentage in college. Think about where Bradshaw and Elway were coming out. Elway couldn't throw a screen pass or short touch pass until the last few years of his career, refused to dump the ball off. Bradshaw took three plus years to get it together. I look at what Allen did in the Senior Bowl and think... if he can do it there, he can probably do it in the NFL, provided he gets some good coaching and supporting cast.

Third, yes, I don't care much for this class of QBs. I do not think it's 1983 or 2004. I think they're hyped into the stratosphere. Darnold has a midpoint of the very similar Byron Leftwich. Allen has some upside but he's a project. Rosen is a mediocre-armed meltdown waiting to happen, unless he's gets drafted to a fair weather or dome team--going to need a lot of TLCand structure. I like Mayfield-- low ceiling, high floor. Jackson might work, if he finds a home that is really willing to design around him. Rudolph, White, and Woodside might be decent backups. Lauletta has no deep arm, but he can play. I like Alex McGough a lot and he might go to NE-- but he's a bit of a one-year wonder. Kyle Allen is pretty good but he had some great receivers/RB. Chase Sutton, Beinkert, and the kid from Princeton Chad Kanoff (say that 3 times fast) could all be good if they could change their propensity for mind boggling throws to the other team.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:23 am 

Josh Allen’s career completion percentage is 56.2. 56.3 last season. He hasn’t improved over the course of his college career.

You are banking on him having Favre-like arm talent. I’m not sure he’s quite at that level. Also, the game has changed to where completion percentage has a much higher correlation than in the past with NFL success. The Case Keenums versus the Christian Hackenburgs, if you will.

Like I said, I want to like him. Some of his tape wows. But it just seems so unlikely.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:50 am 

Let me put it this way: although any of those top guys would be an improvement over last year, if Cleveland selects Rosen I’m not at all worried. He’ll fold in December. If they select Darnold, I’m a little more concerned because he’s a gamer but still not that worried. If they pick Baker, they’ll contend right away. If they pick Josh Allen, probably it’s not cause for concern… But if he does work out, they could be a real problem.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:23 am 

josh allen has some tools to boom, but i think hes more likely to bust.. i think his accuracy issues are what they are and it wont get better in the nfl. Darnold will be a star, i hope Cleveland passes on him, rocket arm, good pocket mobility, accurate and as you stated, serious gamer, in short smaller version of Ben, Favre is probably the perfect comp for him. Gesicki, will be productive right out of the shooot with his catching/leaping ability, i can teach him to block, i like Goedert and Hurst as well. Josh Norris says: LVE is alot closer to Edmonds in ability than most people realize and i agree with him, man i hope he falls to us, most likely a pipe dream, id be good with a tradeup for him.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:30 am 

My dream would be for Cleveland to pick Lamar Jackson, but even they aren't that stupid. Josh Allen's accuracy problem is real. Now, maybe he will fix that, but it is highly unlikely. People compare him to Ben. But Ben completed 69% of his passes his last year. :shock: QB accuracy is so crucial in today's NFL with those small windows.

I still can't believe teams would think about Lamar Jackson at any point before the end of the 3rd round. He's a career 57% completion guy and it shows on film. His mechanics are horrendous and he can't hit the broad side of a barn at times. Of course Tomlin and Colbert have spent a lot of time evaluating him. WTF.