It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: YES! YES! YES!!!!! I LOVE YOU JON GRUDEN!!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:18 am 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ear ... 796073e4f6

Post subject: Re: YES! YES! YES!!!!! I LOVE YOU JON GRUDEN!!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:51 pm 

And as promised, I am here to follow you around and state that we need replay for the most egregious of errors, though I don't mind finding ways of reducing its influence.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:18 am 

Poltargyst wrote:
And as promised, I am here to follow you around and state that we need replay for the most egregious of errors, though I don't mind finding ways of reducing its influence.

Thank you

What happens if in the AFCCG vs the Colts in 95 the ref is in the wrong position and he thinks Bailey caught the ball? No replay then and we'd all be fucking livid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:11 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
What happens if in the AFCCG vs the Colts in 95 the ref is in the wrong position and he thinks Bailey caught the ball? No replay then and we'd all be fucking livid

What happens if in the AFC game for #1 seed vs the Patriots in 2017 the ref thinks Jesse James caught the ball? WITH replay then we're all fucking livid.

Replay could be OK, if they'd limit it to only 1000000% OBVIOUS errors. But we gave them an inch and they take a million miles, so now it takes up probably 20% of the damn telecast!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:15 pm 

Poltargyst wrote:
we need replay for the most egregious of errors, .

That would be nice if they could limit it to that, they don't even try! If you want to limit replay, you don't review every score, you don't review every turnover, you just review things that might have "most egregious of errors". And you limit it, like maybe give them 60 seconds max with no slow motion, why? Because if it really is "most egregious of errors" you don't need to slow it down to see it, because it's that obvious.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:40 pm 

We can throw all the “what ifs” out there that we want...the “what ifs” work both ways.
Nick is 100% correct...replay is the #1 issue that is ruining the NFL game.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:03 pm 

I've said before I'd be good if we get rid of all automatic reviews and just have coaches challenges only. Then the coaches can decide what's worth reviewing and what's not and they only get so many a game.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:38 am 

Poltargyst wrote:
I've said before I'd be good if we get rid of all automatic reviews and just have coaches challenges only. Then the coaches can decide what's worth reviewing and what's not and they only get so many a game.

Even then, I'd want even more limits, like just one per game, and a strict, hard time frame, 60 SECONDS, with a clock everyone can see, and a buzzer goes off at 0:00 and the review ends instantly if that buzzer sounds before they decide, and I'd also want no slow motion, just regular speed, if the error is that bad, then you can and should see it easily at regular speed within 60 seconds. And if they did that, maybe I'd give them 2 and a 3rd if they get the 1st one right like they do now for all the people that have a huge hard on to "get it right". Another thing I'd like is they made "what is a catch" a non-reviewable judgment call, like PI. That would solve a huge chunk of the issues.

Getting it right is fine, but not at this cost. It's just too much anymore, you have so many stoppages it's getting unwatchable. And you never feel like you can celebrate, every damn score the asshole announcers immediately start whining, "Oh boy, they're gong to have to take a look at that" I just feel like FUCK YOU! When they say that.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:45 am 

Jobus Rum wrote:
We can throw all the “what ifs” out there that we want...the “what ifs” work both ways.

For me, YES it is, it's just consuming the game, every year they add more, and more and more of it! Now this year we'll have stoppages every time we want to see if they lead with they head! Every score, every turnover, lead with the head, half the catches! When does it end? Why not review every play? And 90% of it is for stuff we never thought of before! Like in hockey my god it disgusts me when they turn over a goal, because some guys skate passes the blue line by 1/32nd of an inch ahead of the puck 100 feet away? Basketball 3 point basket becomes a 2 after they played 5 more minutes? Baseball the base stealers foot comes off the bag by 1/64th of an inch on the slide so safe becomes out? Stuff you never even thought about, sorry, maybe this stuff "gets it right" but I personally hate it all.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:06 pm 

Nick79 wrote:
Jobus Rum wrote:

For me, YES it is, it's just consuming the game, every year they add more, and more and more of it! Now this year we'll have stoppages every time we want to see if they lead with they head! Every score, every turnover, lead with the head, half the catches! When does it end? Why not review every play? And 90% of it is for stuff we never thought of before! Like in hockey my god it disgusts me when they turn over a goal, because some guys skate passes the blue line by 1/32nd of an inch ahead of the puck 100 feet away? Basketball 3 point basket becomes a 2 after they played 5 more minutes? Baseball the base stealers foot comes off the bag by 1/64th of an inch on the slide so safe becomes out? Stuff you never even thought about, sorry, maybe this stuff "gets it right" but I personally hate it all.

I'm not sure when the "clear and incontrovertible evidence" standard went out the window...but can we all agree that if you need to watch a super slo-mo replay repeatedly for 5 minutes then you can't overturn the call on the field? Please?

My personal solution is that a ref can watch a replay once or twice at full speed. That should allow him to overturn obvious miscalls. If you can't instantly spot the mistake, then play on.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:40 pm 

Pabst wrote:

My personal solution is that a ref can watch a replay once or twice at full speed. That should allow him to overturn obvious miscalls. If you can't instantly spot the mistake, then play on.

This please. I nominate Pabst to be in charge of the replay booth. He does not have to know the calls but just has to tell them that they have seen enough of the film and the call stands.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:14 pm 

I'm annoyed by the fact that last year they stopped doing the "incontrovertable evidence" standard to overturn calls on the field, and Riveron was judging plays from scratch independent of what the refs called on the field.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:53 pm 

Poltargyst wrote:
I'm annoyed by the fact that last year they stopped doing the "incontrovertable evidence" standard to overturn calls on the field, and Riveron was judging plays from scratch independent of what the refs called on the field.

And didn't really tell anyone.

I think that's why it was such a collosal failure. Refs in real time are, generally, calling it like everyone sees it. Then you have Riveron coming in to make a judgement call after a frame-by-frame review, often at odds with how everyone saw it at full speed.

I still can't reconcile some of the calls Riveron made because there was no logical consistency. It's really hard to dismiss the possibility he was putting his thumb on the scale.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:38 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
Poltargyst wrote:

And didn't really tell anyone.

That too. We didn't know that until after the fact, and I find that quite annoying.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:14 am 

Unlike most of you, I watch soccer too, and damn those mother fuckers added replay this year and ruined yet another sport! They where the last hold out, and I thought, since it's an international sport and anal, asshole, retard Americans don't run in, they'd hopefully not add this garbage, but they did and now, much like a catch in football, people don't know what a yellow card, red card, off sides is anymore, they just suddenly don't understand what's going on, they've become like the NFL, clueless and confused and yes..... ANOTHER SPORT RUINED !!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:36 am 

Nick79 wrote:
Unlike most of you, I watch soccer too, and damn those mother fuckers added replay this year and ruined yet another sport! They where the last hold out, and I thought, since it's an international sport and anal, asshole, retard Americans don't run in, they'd hopefully not add this garbage, but they did and now, much like a catch in football, people don't know what a yellow card, red card, off sides is anymore, they just suddenly don't understand what's going on, they've become like the NFL, clueless and confused and yes..... ANOTHER SPORT RUINED !!!!!

Yeah, but the flip side in soccer is this crap:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:42 pm 

Pabst wrote:
Nick79 wrote:

Yeah, but the flip side in soccer is this crap:

I don't care, diving doesn't bother me, it's a tactic, part of the game, like the fake flop to draw the charge in basketball. 90% of the time in soccer, he falls down rolls around and really doesn't get the call, and PLAY GOES ON, uninterrupted. No we'll stop the game for 5 minutes to look at it again. Faking a fall to try and draw a foul is NO BIG DEAL, I never understood why people think it is. If MY TEAM'S GUY dives, and it's clearly a fake dive, and my team get's the call, I AM PROUD OF HIM for making the play in our favor.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:16 pm 

jebrick wrote:
Pabst wrote:

This please. I nominate Pabst to be in charge of the replay booth. He does not have to know the calls but just has to tell them that they have seen enough of the film and the call stands.

Here's the problem with that: What if the first or second replay doesn't have the best angle? What if they're from the wrong side of the play or whatever, and don't show anything, but there's an angle they didn't get to where it is blatantly obvious?

Then you didn't really solve anything and winning a replay challenge suddenly involved being lucky enough to have the right replay angle shown.

I really don't think there is a perfect system. But then again, the toothpaste is already out of the tube and cutting replay all together is going to create even more controversy every time an obvious call is missed (which will be often).

Basically, the NFL is screwed in that regard. There's no way they can possibly fix this in a way that makes a majority of fans happy, in my opinion. The rule book has gotten entirely too cumbersome and fine grained to expect a referee to be able to call correctly in real time, and the replay system that would be required to make the calls at least closer to being correct is so time consuming, it kills the entertainment of the game. Attempting to find a compromise between the two only moves the needle between the two controversies.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:02 am 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
The rule book has gotten entirely too cumbersome and fine grained to expect a referee to be able to call correctly in real time, and the replay system that would be required to make the calls at least closer to being correct is so time consuming, it kills the entertainment of the game.

Taking the rule book and scrapping 50% of it is part of the solution. There are a lot of rules in there that can be dumped and nobody would notice they where gone. A lot of things even "what is a catch" can be simplified to the point that there's nothing to review if they wanted to. I actually think the league and a lot of fan want it the way it is.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:55 am 

Nick79 wrote:
The rule book has gotten entirely too cumbersome and fine grained to expect a referee to be able to call correctly in real time, and the replay system that would be required to make the calls at least closer to being correct is so time consuming, it kills the entertainment of the game.

Taking the rule book and scrapping 50% of it is part of the solution. There are a lot of rules in there that can be dumped and nobody would notice they where gone. A lot of things even "what is a catch" can be simplified to the point that there's nothing to review if they wanted to. I actually think the league and a lot of fan want it the way it is.

That's not true. There will always be gray area in the catch rules. Always areas of debate. Even if you made the rule as simple as "Two feet in bounds, control of the ball". Well, what is control? If you even simplified that to mean "two hands on the ball", well what about one handed catches? You're going to legislate those out of the game? How do you definitely know when a player has control or not?

You don't, and you never will, which is exactly why the "catch" debate will never be solved now that this box has been opened.

Which means, yes, there will always be things to review should they choose to keep replay in, no matter how simple you make the rules. Football is a subjective game and will always have gray area, which by extension, means it will always have controversy going forward, no matter how much you change, or even eliminate replay. That part of the game is here to stay.

Quote:
I actually think the league and a lot of fan want it the way it is.

So you think the league likes all this controversy that just happens to be happening while ratings are taking a nose dive? Even if you took the "All publicity is good publicity" stance, that still doesn't stand up to any amount of logical thinking whatsoever. Fans are obviously livid and tired of debate over the most basic elements of the game continually being the center of attention. That's the real reasons ratings are down. It's not kneeling for an anthem, it's not players getting in trouble off the field, it's the fact that the league can't even manage to define what their game is actually supposed to be anymore.

There is zero chance the league "wants" that (otherwise, why would they keep changing the rules everytime there's public outcry over them?), and I sure as hell don't know of any fans that do. I have yet to see one fan say that they enjoy all this controversy over the rules, and I'd love to hear where you saw or heard a fan say they did. Though I suspect it's some theory you just concocted yourself without any basis whatsoever.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:34 am 

How about this rule, a catch is control of the ball (control being a judgment, one hand, two hand, between the knees-doesn't matter-up to the ref) for one second, both feet in bounds (although, I'd even make that 1 foot, to make it even easier), NON-REVIEWABLE JUDGMENT CALL. End of discussion.

And I do think they like the controversy and constant discussion and you can tell some fans love it, with the way they hold on to replay for dear life! What if they make a mistake? Well I'm hear saying it, I'm willing to accept mistakes like we used to, to get rid of replay. So I'm not in that group.

So what if a bad call costs the Steelers a big game and there's no review? Well, with review, the Jesse James catch was overturned and cost the Steelers the biggest game of the year. So it's a wash in the end.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:39 am 

...and I sure as hell don't know of any fans that do. I have yet to see one fan say that they enjoy all this controversy over the rules, and I'd love to hear where you saw or heard a fan say they did. Though I suspect it's some theory you just concocted yourself without any basis whatsoever.

It can all be ended by scrapping review and not complaining and whining over replays you see the day after the game, do you know of many fans that want review scrapped? I actually think the idea is gaining more popularity.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:46 am 

I'm not interested in gambling, and sometimes I play fantasy football, and maybe have $50 or $100 on the line for the whole season, so I get it, I'm not in the position some people are where a bad call and no replay allowed could cost them their mortgage money, to me it literally is just entertainment, just a TV Show, so I actually do get over it quickly and don't care that much.... OTHER THAN THE JESSE JAMES PLAY!!!!! But replay CAUSED that error, it didn't prevent it, LOL.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:47 am 

Nick79 wrote:
How about this rule, a catch is control of the ball (control being a judgment, one hand, two hand, between the knees-doesn't matter-up to the ref) for one second, both feet in bounds (although, I'd even make that 1 foot, to make it even easier), NON-REVIEWABLE JUDGMENT CALL. End of discussion.

That's not the end of the discussion though, no matter how many capital letters you use. NFL referees are awful at judgement calls, which is exactly why replay was re-instituted to begin with. So take away replay and yes, the game speeds up, which is a good thing, but that won't stop CBS/NBC/FOX from replaying it 1,000 times, from it dominating sports media the ensuing week, etc.

Literally, nothing changes from how it is now except you shave 5-10 minutes off the game. That's it. It solves nothing meaningful.

Quote:
And I do think they like the controversy and constant discussion and you can tell some fans love it, with the way they hold on to replay for dear life! What if they make a mistake? Well I'm hear saying it, I'm willing to accept mistakes like we used to, to get rid of replay. So I'm not in that group.

You're making a horrible jump in logic.

Wanting to keep replay does not mean people like the controversy. It means they have the foresight to understand what I said above about the controversy only getting worse without it. With replay, we at least have some sort of a chance to fix a bad call. Yes, it's very imperfect and too intrusive. But you can take steps to make that better.

Replay gets more calls right than you think. You just better remember the times they get it wrong because those are the instances that dominate the conversation. No one talks about when it gets it right because that's not newsworthy.

Quote:
So what if a bad call costs the Steelers a big game and there's no review? Well, with review, the Jesse James catch was overturned and cost the Steelers the biggest game of the year. So it's a wash in the end.

You're using one example to try and discredit an entire system. That's never, ever, a good argument.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:39 pm 

Nick79 wrote:

Then the one Eagles TD in the SB would not have counted. He exchanged hands with the ball and did not possess it with either hand for your required 1 second