It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Steelers meeting...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:11 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
cop1211 wrote:
I'm surprised by all the interest in the TE's.

I'm not, frankly. I think the last two years have really been a wakeup call for what could be in the middle of the field. McDonald played pretty well, but he's had injury issues that have made him unavailable AND he's all salary this year-- there's no cap hit if they cut him. Jesse was hurt all of last year, but is pretty much shown to be an underneath relief option thusfar. He hasn't been a great blocker but has been decent. Grimble seems to have plateaued.

One thing I have read numerous times about Fitchner is: he LOVES to substitute liberally and rotate skill position players. He enjoys figuring out ways to use different kinds of players and matchups.

My guess is: however many WRs and TEs and RBs are active on gameday, they're all going to be used for something.

So, it's not outrageous to think they could add a 3rd guy or that they could add someone near the top of the draft, even, to take McDonald's job.

Jesse James was hurt last year? Undisclosed? Anyway, If Vance was reliable I think they'd be pretty set @ the position. That's a big If. I'm happy with Jesse @ the #2, I'm not comfortable with him forced into the starting role 9 games a year.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:36 pm 

Yeah, Steelers said he was injured last year. I think that was Colbert in Indy who said it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:54 am 

Yeah, when I was first suggesting the Steelers trade for McDonald last May, I thought his contract was very manageable, the first 3 years anyway. The contract that the 49ers gave him was weird and structured funny in the backend.

His last two years are club options and the base salary escalates to $5.5 million. If he plays well and really emerges then that $5.5 million base is a bargain, if he is injury prone and teases then he will be cut. I agree that Grimble has stalled, just really did not see any development last season. If Ben wants to play for 3 years or more, then adding a talented TE for that stretch makes sense. You see what Ben did with Green and McDonald in such a small amount of targets and then think what he could do with that type of TE over an entire season. Having that type of explosive TE could be one of the missing pieces to Ben having a true NFL MVP season.

Just like last year, I see the Steelers spending a top pick, rounds 1-3, on an offensive player. It could be RB, TE or WR. Or it could even be an OL.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:14 am 

Quote:
@SimonAChester
Source told me today there were as many as 28 different #NFL teams represented by scouts at the MTSU Pro Day including #Steelers scout Rich Reiprish. Apparently, CB Charvarius Ward put on a show for those in attendance. https://twitter.com/SimonAChester/statu ... pro-day%2F
I think they were there for the WR James. But I'm more interested in Ward. 8-)
Ward Measurables:
10 1/8 Hand

32 1/4 Arm

77 1/4 wingspan

37.5 Vert

132 Broad

4.43-4.46 40-yard dash

12 Bench Reps

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:47 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Quote:
@SimonAChester
Source told me today there were as many as 28 different #NFL teams represented by scouts at the MTSU Pro Day including #Steelers scout Rich Reiprish. Apparently, CB Charvarius Ward put on a show for those in attendance. https://twitter.com/SimonAChester/statu ... pro-day%2F
I think they were there for the WR James. But I'm more interested in Ward. 8-)
Ward Measurables:
10 1/8 Hand

32 1/4 Arm

77 1/4 wingspan

37.5 Vert

132 Broad

4.43-4.46 40-yard dash

12 Bench Reps

Cousin of Glover Quin and Darius Butler.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:29 am 

Quote:
The Wake Forest pro day does not take place until tomorrow, but sources tell me that fast-rising safety Jessie Bates III, who’s moved into the second day of the draft, was seen having dinner this evening with Pittsburgh Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert and head coach Mike Tomlin.

Mark him higher on the list of draft picks ( if past results remain true) .

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:33 am 

jebrick wrote:
Quote:
The Wake Forest pro day does not take place until tomorrow, but sources tell me that fast-rising safety Jessie Bates III, who’s moved into the second day of the draft, was seen having dinner this evening with Pittsburgh Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert and head coach Mike Tomlin.

Mark him higher on the list of draft picks ( if past results remain true) .

He's in play for 28. If the Steelers brain trust doesn't go to Stanford pro day in favor of Ohio State's, I'd move Bates near the top of the list.

He's a really good returner and plays the ball in the air well... his run support leaves something to be desired.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:47 am 

I agree with your assessment. March 22nd will tell a lot.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:09 am 

IF the Steelers are convinced that the best spot for Davis is SS or bust, and if they don't really believe Sutton or Allen is going to FS... then there are like two non-day three FS in this draft and they'll run to the podium to pick the one they like best at 28.

22nd of March will all but seal the pick prediction.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:02 pm 

Picking FS in the 1st leaves a gaping hole in the middle of the Defense to try and fill on Day 2. Personally I believe that is the more important position to fill w/ a 1st rounder....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:22 am 

I’m not sure if ILB is a bigger hole or not, but the pool of FS is about 4 deep— 3 of whom are seen as top 40 players.

The Alabama players are in play: Tomlin and Colbert both at AL pro day #1.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:00 am 

Sleeper central. Malik Boynton 6'0 198 APU later in the draft. He plays man coverage and has played both safety and corner at high a level. Wrap up tackler. https://twitter.com/NFLDraftBible/statu ... pro-day%2F

I still really like Charvarius Ward MTSU as well.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:04 am 

If we had a group of say 5 players who are in play right now at #28..feel free to add or subtract to this group...

LVE
Rashaan Evans
Justin Reid
Jesse Bates
Ronnie Harrison

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:24 am 

Maybe free agency will solve one of these problems...as is being rumored...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:03 pm 

GreekSteel wrote:
If we had a group of say 5 players who are in play right now at #28..feel free to add or subtract to this group...

LVE
Rashaan Evans
Justin Reid
Jesse Bates
Ronnie Harrison

I would add Daron Payne, just because it would be so them to throw us a curve like that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:27 pm 

I have a feeling Payne is a smokescreen and might drop ala Andrew Billings a few drafts ago

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:28 pm 

Also, the Virginia Tech trio are all in play.

Alabama, Wake Forest, Virginia Tech so far in play.

I wouldn't rule out Tim Settle if the board falls a certain way... he's an underclassman, apparently looked totally different at pro day in a good way, it's a position of need, and Tomlin/Colbert were at the pro day-- it's not like they think they're going to get Tremaine Edmunds (they don't even have ammo to move up far enough for him in a trade).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:37 pm 

Vander Esch

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:04 pm 

I want no part of Evans...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:00 pm 

Quote:
I’m told Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin had dinner with receiver James Washington and safety Tre Flowers last night. http://draftanalyst.com/oklahoma-state-pro-day

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:43 am 

Am I the only one who is unimpressed with James Washington the NFL prospect? JW the college player was great, but Washington reminds me of a slower, tighter Jeff Janis. Kinda plays stuck to the ground and isn’t fluid enough to get open sconsistently in the NFL. He’s not going to outrun anyone- is going to depend on hard work. I’m not even sure his catching is all that natural. Don’t get it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:15 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Am I the only one who is unimpressed with James Washington the NFL prospect? JW the college player was great, but Washington reminds me of a slower, tighter Jeff Janis. Kinda plays stuck to the ground and isn’t fluid enough to get open sconsistently in the NFL. He’s not going to outrun anyone- is going to depend on hard work. I’m not even sure his catching is all that natural. Don’t get it.

im not a big fan either but if theres anything at all to give the Steelers the benefit of the doubt on, its probably WR prospects.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:32 pm 

GreekSteel wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

im not a big fan either but if theres anything at all to give the Steelers the benefit of the doubt on, its probably WR prospects.

True, but maybe they just like the kid. lol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:30 pm 

I am hoping that either Anthony Miller or James Washington is there at the end of the 3rd round.

I think the Steelers spent a lot of time looking at tape of Rudolph and it was hard to ignore all of the long passes to Washington.

I know people look at his so-so 40 time of 4.54 and say, he is a deep threat? But the 40 can be a bad barometer sometimes in determining a deep ball artist. Washington can be 30 yards down the field and the CB is there with him stride for stride but then James is able to pull away with those powerful long strides. It is one thing to have that great start or burst, but quite another to have an extra gear at the end and being able to accelerate away from people. This is what I saw when I watched him. I am not comparing him to Bolt but you look at how many people would jump out to a great lead on him only to watch him accelerate by in the middle and end of the sprint.

Washington is built more like a RB, seemed to work out well when we drafted JuJu last season, also, has pretty good hands and ball tracking deeper down the field. More trouble with shorter passes but I think that is more to inexperience. I think our new WR coach would be thrilled to get him and coach him up. I see Washington as Sammie Coates done right and they probably are looking for that deep threat to replace Bryant after this season.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:00 am 

Updated....

Combine/
Oklahoma State QB Mason Rudolph
Louisville QB Lamar Jackson
South Dakota State TE Dallas Goedert
Wisconsin TE Troy Fumagalli
University of Washington TE Will Dissly
Penn State TE Mike Gesicki
Indiana TE Ian Thomas
Oklahoma State WR James Washington
Boise State LB Leighton Vander Esch
Alabama SS Ronnie Harrison
Alabama LB Shaun Dion Hamilton
Stanford DL Harrison Phillips
Alabama LB Rashaan Evans
Alabama DL Da’Ron Payne
Alabama DB Minkah Fitzpatrick
Stanford DB Justin Reid
Florida State DL Derrick Nnadi
Auburn RB Kerryon Johnson
Wake Forest FS Jessie Bates
USF DL Deadrin Senat
LSU RB Derrius Guice

Pro Day/
Alabama DT Joshua Frazier
Wake Forest S Jessie Bates III
Middle Tennessee State WR Richie James

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next