It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pens get Brassard
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:58 pm 

Now seeing some tweets saying the NHL rejected the deal and are forcing the teams to restructure it into a more conventional format...though it's still being reported that the deal expected to get done.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:48 pm 

It took Rutherford about 8 months, but he's managed to put a plan into place that matches what this team is all about. Something I mentioned after the Reaves trade went down, and something he neglected this entire offseason. On paper, they can roll 4 lines that can score and bring speed. That is the team's identity. This may be the best of the three Penguins teams (on paper) of the last three seasons. The center depth (somehow!) is better than it was the past two seasons. Amazing!

Reaves is a healthy scratch tonight. Jason Mackey was on Madden's radio show today thinking Reaves would be a good trade target to a team out west, especially a return to the Blues. It'd be even better if JR could reverse his mistakes full circle from the offseason and get rid of that bum.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:05 pm 

UPDATE!

Jimmy Murphy

Verified account

@MurphysLaw74
1h1 hour ago
More
Source telling me that F #RyanReaves will head to Vegas as part of #DerekBrassard deal if and when #VegasBorn #Pens & #Sens iron it out.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:21 pm 

Brassard deal official, per NHLN.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:29 pm 

Ice wrote:

Love it.

Rest of the conference isn’t so excited about, I suspect.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:52 pm 

Ice wrote:

Yup Reaves to Vegas and retains 40%. Pretty good deal in my opinion

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:00 pm 

The 40% is clutch. Allows a little flexibility to possibly go get a depth type defenseman before Monday afternoon.

Don't know much about the prospects that came back.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:09 am 

Finally found a good summary or the total trade package...

Quote:
Pittsburgh received Brassard, Ottawa forward prospect Vincent Dunn, Vegas forward prospect Tobias Lindberg, and Ottawa's third-round pick in the 2018 NHL Draft.

Ottawa received Pittsburgh defenseman Ian Cole, goalie prospect Filip Gustavsson, its first-round pick in the 2018 draft, and its third-round pick in the 2019 NHL Draft.

Vegas received Pittsburgh forward Ryan Reaves and a fourth-round pick in the 2018 draft that belonged to the Vancouver Canucks. The Golden Knights will retain 40 percent of Brassard's remaining salary this season.

Full story - https://www.nhl.com/news/derick-brassar ... =278542340

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:15 am 

Unsurprisingly, neither of the prospects are worth much. Still really pleased with the outcome.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:23 am 

Rumor has it that the jets were in the running for Brassard and that's the reason Vegas stepped in to broker the deal. Vegas preferred Brassard stayed in the east

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:39 am 

wait a second, does this mean my record-breaking Reaves thread may come to an end?

don't let that happen Hacksaw

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:47 am 

steel wrote:
wait a second, does this mean my record-breaking Reaves thread may come to an end?

don't let that happen Hacksaw

lol :lol: ..

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:49 am 

man...saw trade details..wonder if Rutherford knows football.. steelers could use his ass in negotiations for some new blood! the man is good!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:36 am 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Rumor has it that the jets were in the running for Brassard and that's the reason Vegas stepped in to broker the deal. Vegas preferred Brassard stayed in the east

This is old school awesome if true.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:28 am 

Some quotes from the Penguins locker room on getting Brassard.

Seems the players are every bit as excited as we are to get him.

And for a bit of fun, compare Horny’s quotes about the organization to David Freese’s quotes about the Pirates last week :D

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/penguins/2018/02/24/Players-react-to-Penguins-acquisition-of-Derick-Brassard/stories/201802240072

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:18 pm 

Is it crazy to think that, considering the fire red hot 3rd line the Pens are putting out there right-– that they might ease Broussard in as the center of a loaded up 4th line? He's a good two way player, and if the Pens use the 4th line liberally vs opponents' top lines, they might be able to have some success.

Zach Aston-Reese -- Sidney Crosby -- Conor Sheary

Carl Hagelin -- Evgeni Malkin -- Hornqvist

Jake Guentzel -- Riley Sheahan -- Phil Kessel

Dominik Simon -- Broussard -- Bryan Rust

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:33 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Is it crazy to think that, considering the fire red hot 3rd line the Pens are putting out there right-– that they might ease Broussard in as the center of a loaded up 4th line? He's a good two way player, and if the Pens use the 4th line liberally vs opponents' top lines, they might be able to have some success.

Zach Aston-Reese -- Sidney Crosby -- Conor Sheary

Carl Hagelin -- Evgeni Malkin -- Hornqvist

Jake Guentzel -- Riley Sheahan -- Phil Kessel

Dominik Simon -- Broussard -- Bryan Rust

Nah. The Penguins aren't going up against the Packers in the Super Bowl in this situation.

I think Sheary sticks out like a sore thumb at this point. He needs to find a spot with Sid or he's practically useless. Even then, he's still been mostly useless.

He seems like he could be a guy thrown to the wolves for a "different" kind of player. The first line needs to be sorted out, and it's a shame that the Penguins can't see more of ZAR/Crosby or Simon/Crosby before the deadline to know what they really have there. Based on the retention on Brassard for this year, the Penguins can take on a player with a $6.5 million contract. May be possible to dump more chips in on a guy for Sid. If he's not a FA at the end of the season, it all but guarantees Hornqvist's departure.

What chips?

Sheary, 1st round 2 years from now + other picks, Sprong

I really wouldnt mind seeing Sprong back up.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:42 pm 

Hacksaw, I'm just saying-- if you put good, responsible two-way players on line 4-- they can be skilled offensively, right? I was just trying to come up with a way to have 4 really good lines-- just increases the mismatches and protects our D a little.

Seems like the Pens have the wing talent and now the center talent to pull that off. Why should the 4th line be a throwaway?

I, too, like Sid-Sheary... and I think ZAR or perhaps Sprong is the right complement to those two. Guentzel-Sheehan-Phil... I don't see how you can break up that line unless it cools.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:48 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Hacksaw, I'm just saying-- if you put good, responsible two-way players on line 4-- they can be skilled offensively, right? I was just trying to come up with a way to have 4 really good lines-- just increases the mismatches and protects our D a little.

Seems like the Pens have the wing talent and now the center talent to pull that off. Why should the 4th line be a throwaway?

I, too, like Sid-Sheary... and I think ZAR or perhaps Sprong is the right complement to those two. Guentzel-Sheehan-Phil... I don't see how you can break up that line unless it cools.

Until last night Phil was pretty cold in the statistics department. He was interviewed during the Ottawa game and said he needed to start scoring again. Something like 2 weeks with no goals and a few assists. Hopefully last night was the catalyst to him find the scoring touch again.
Guentzel has been putting the puck in the net and Sheahan was a TO machine last night.

I don't see how you can play Brassard on the fourth line. Sheahan is better on the fourth line(fewer minutes) and Sully has time to workout who plays where especially in the top 9.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:50 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

There's a 16-page thread because I don't want the 4th line to be a throwaway. So you're barking up the wrong tree with that one.

Consider though, Phil Kessel had 1 point in 6 games prior to his outburst last night. That pretty much covers the duration of this line. It showed itself a few games prior to that, but Kessel was mostly doing his damage on the power play or with malkin/hagelin.

I'd rather have the superior player get more minutes with better teammates. It's that simple. Let's not "Iginla on his offwing" complicate this.

Of Guentzel's recent hot streak, he's had some PP points and a fair bit of points with Crosby. Sheahan's had points with Simon and Reaves during this stretch (RIP).

The third line mismatch will still be there, and because the wingers are so deep (as you mentioned), why not just create a 4th line that has Sheahan instead of Brassard with all that depth? Release the hounds.

The issue is finding a first line that works between now and the playoffs.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:09 pm 

I think the 1st line that works is a big ???

'I think who is a competent #6 D Man?' is a bigger issue.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:28 am 

Simon is poop.

Hunwick is worse. We need a defenseman.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:57 am 

Bring up Sprong. Play Ruhwedel. Add a D Man from the giveaway rent-a-vet pile.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:20 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

Ruhwedel was doing okay in last year's playoffs until hurt v. Ottawa, wasn't he?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:08 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

Ruhwedel was doing okay in last year's playoffs until hurt v. Ottawa, wasn't he?

He was indeed and earlier this year he acquited himself very well as a bottom pair guy. He's not going to get involved in the offense, even though he can skate it out but he's not going to blow assignments like hunwick either. Think of ruh as a smaller and less talented Dumolin. Both can skate but have minimal offensive game