It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Ryan Reaves
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:43 pm
Posts: 895
2/9/18 @ Dallas

Once again, the Penguins stars get mauled by the opposition and Reaves sits there and watches.

0 G
0 A
- 1
7:19 TOI

Back to bringing absolutely nothing!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ryan Reaves
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:50 pm
Posts: 4452
Hacksaw Jim Duggan wrote:
2/9/18 @ Dallas

Once again, the Penguins stars get mauled by the opposition and Reaves sits there and watches.

0 G
0 A
- 1
7:19 TOI

Back to bringing absolutely nothing!


Man - did Reaves fuck you or something? You have some serious hate for this cat.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ryan Reaves
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:55 pm
Posts: 1736
Suwanee88 wrote:
Hacksaw Jim Duggan wrote:
2/9/18 @ Dallas

Once again, the Penguins stars get mauled by the opposition and Reaves sits there and watches.

0 G
0 A
- 1
7:19 TOI

Back to bringing absolutely nothing!


Man - did Reaves fuck you or something? You have some serious hate for this cat.


Between Hacksaw and Reaves, and Donnie and Kuhnackl, there seems to be a lot of penguins who have kicked the dogs of Steelerfury memebers.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ryan Reaves
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 23267
Yeah but nothing compares to Ben Roethlisberger dissing you by not acknowledging you when you say hi...

_________________
“A set of several simple rules leads to complex, intelligent behavior. While a set of complex rules often leads to dumb and primitive behavior.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ryan Reaves
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:43 pm
Posts: 895
2/11/18 @ STL

Reaves
0 G
0 A
- 1
TOI: 5:11

Big-time "homecoming" for Ryan Reaves. You'd think he'd get an icetime bump in this situation, especially with his dad watching, but Reaves barely saw 5 mins. No surprise, especially after that absolutely atrocious goal against in which Letang went full retard and Reaves, who could have covered for him, whiffed terribly behind the net. He brought so much toughness on the bench though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ryan Reaves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:55 pm
Posts: 4421
Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Suwanee88 wrote:
Hacksaw Jim Duggan wrote:
2/9/18 @ Dallas

Once again, the Penguins stars get mauled by the opposition and Reaves sits there and watches.

0 G
0 A
- 1
7:19 TOI

Back to bringing absolutely nothing!


Man - did Reaves fuck you or something? You have some serious hate for this cat.


Between Hacksaw and Reaves, and Donnie and Kuhnackl, there seems to be a lot of penguins who have kicked the dogs of Steelerfury memebers.


To be fair, I'm not posting game by game stat lines :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ryan Reaves
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:14 pm
Posts: 1244
Reaves has certainly not been very good this year. It is a very valid argument that he is a poor fit for this club. If you don't buy the notion that he is a deterrent for other teams taking liberties on the Penguins stars, then he really provides nothing (though being a deterrent is hard to quantify). Even if he is a deterrent there are good arguments to be made that an equally capable enforcer can be found that doesn't cost $1.2 M in salary. However, the notion that he is sitting just watching while he his teammates get pummeled every night could use a fact check. Reaves has been credited with 153 hits this season. Yeah, I'm aware that stat has some flaws and it might not be the most meaningful or accurate assessment of physical play. But it is the best we got, and FWIW Reaves has the the 12th most hits in the league. He is the Penguins team leader in hits by a pretty large margin. That is while playing less than 7 minutes per game on average. He is clearly trying to be a physical presence during his time on the ice. Whether that is a meaningful deterrent is anyone's guess.

_________________
Neal Huntington on what he's been told by his bosses about $$$: "We've got assurances we're going to be able to continue to do what we've done."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ryan Reaves
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:43 pm
Posts: 895
SteelPro wrote:
Reaves has certainly not been very good this year. It is a very valid argument that he is a poor fit for this club. If you don't buy the notion that he is a deterrent for other teams taking liberties on the Penguins stars, then he really provides nothing (though being a deterrent is hard to quantify). Even if he is a deterrent there are good arguments to be made that an equally capable enforcer can be found that doesn't cost $1.2 M in salary. However, the notion that he is sitting just watching while he his teammates get pummeled every night could use a fact check. Reaves has been credited with 153 hits this season. Yeah, I'm aware that stat has some flaws and it might not be the most meaningful or accurate assessment of physical play. But it is the best we got, and FWIW Reaves has the the 12th most hits in the league. He is the Penguins team leader in hits by a pretty large margin. That is while playing less than 7 minutes per game on average. He is clearly trying to be a physical presence during his time on the ice. Whether that is a meaningful deterrent is anyone's guess.


You sure about that?

https://twitter.com/chasepwilliams/stat ... -letang%2F

Let's go back to something a super genius said earlier in this thread!

Quote:
You mean a player's presence on a team isn't going to stop Crosby or any other star from getting pummeled? You mean that has been proven the case time and time again? You mean maybe the problem is the league's inability to police and protect their stars?


--Hacksaw Jim Duggan

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/ther ... r-players/


For your reading pleasure.

Quote:
"Jagr's our best player and whenever somebody takes a run at him it's my job to make sure that doesn't happen again," Tootoo said Tuesday night.

"I asked the guy to go, countless times, and when you're a player that is going to run around and do [expletive] like that to our best players, it's my job to take action and make sure it stops right there."

And that's the thing. Tootoo did try to take action, and he did try to make sure it stopped. But it didn't. And not only did it not stop, it continued with Tootoo on the ice and ended with Jagr leaving the game after an illegal hit. When asked if it would carry over to the next time they play, Tootoo said he won't forget what number Bortuzzo wears. The two will probably fight if they're both in the lineup, but again, what is that going to change? It's not going to stop Bortuzzo from playing physical because that's what got him to the NHL and it's what is going to keep him in the NHL.

Nate Thompson beating up Keith Ballard is not going to stop him from hip checking a future player into oblivion if he gets the chance.

There was a time, starting in the mid-to-late 1980s and lasting for about two decades, that teams insisted on having a roster spot dedicated to a guy that had no other role but to play four or five minutes per game and fight. Teams felt they were bodyguards for their star players and that they could either deter violence or make other teams answer for violence that they dished out. But they did nothing of the sort, and in recent years there were just as many hits warranting supplementary discipline when the heavyweights were in the lineup than they when they were not. Given how that role has sharply declined in recent years and with fewer and fewer teams keeping a "fighter" on their roster, I suspect teams have started to realize that and understand that the roster spot is too valuable to waste on a player who isn't helping on the ice and isn't offering the type of protection they want.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ryan Reaves
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:14 pm
Posts: 1244
Hacksaw Jim Duggan wrote:

For your reading pleasure.

Quote:
"Jagr's our best player and whenever somebody takes a run at him it's my job to make sure that doesn't happen again," Tootoo said Tuesday night.

"I asked the guy to go, countless times, and when you're a player that is going to run around and do [expletive] like that to our best players, it's my job to take action and make sure it stops right there."

And that's the thing. Tootoo did try to take action, and he did try to make sure it stopped. But it didn't. And not only did it not stop, it continued with Tootoo on the ice and ended with Jagr leaving the game after an illegal hit. When asked if it would carry over to the next time they play, Tootoo said he won't forget what number Bortuzzo wears. The two will probably fight if they're both in the lineup, but again, what is that going to change? It's not going to stop Bortuzzo from playing physical because that's what got him to the NHL and it's what is going to keep him in the NHL.

Nate Thompson beating up Keith Ballard is not going to stop him from hip checking a future player into oblivion if he gets the chance.

There was a time, starting in the mid-to-late 1980s and lasting for about two decades, that teams insisted on having a roster spot dedicated to a guy that had no other role but to play four or five minutes per game and fight. Teams felt they were bodyguards for their star players and that they could either deter violence or make other teams answer for violence that they dished out. But they did nothing of the sort, and in recent years there were just as many hits warranting supplementary discipline when the heavyweights were in the lineup than they when they were not. Given how that role has sharply declined in recent years and with fewer and fewer teams keeping a "fighter" on their roster, I suspect teams have started to realize that and understand that the roster spot is too valuable to waste on a player who isn't helping on the ice and isn't offering the type of protection they want.


I generally agree an enforcer is a wasted roster spot. However this year a 3 time Stanley Cup winning GM thought that roster spot was worth a gamble to try to do something to help a team that had lost more man games to injury than any other team over the last half decade. Maybe he should have consulted with the super genius first.

_________________
Neal Huntington on what he's been told by his bosses about $$$: "We've got assurances we're going to be able to continue to do what we've done."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ryan Reaves
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:43 pm
Posts: 895
SteelPro wrote:
I generally agree an enforcer is a wasted roster spot. However this year a 3 time Stanley Cup winning GM thought that roster spot was worth a gamble to try to do something to help a team that had lost more man games to injury than any other team over the last half decade. Maybe he should have consulted with the super genius first.


The same 3-time Stanley Cup-winning GM that hired a junior coach to manage the aspirations of a Stanley Cup contender with Evgeni Malkin and Sidney Crosby? The junior coach who hadn't sniffed an NHL head coaching position and whose meager NHL experience ended six years before getting hired. That one?

The same GM that traded for Jordan Staal and gave up huge assets, even though Staal had the Penguins over a barrel, declining their new contract offer and stating he wanted to play with his brother?

Seems like an easily identifiable, terrible mistake ended up being an easily identifiable, terrible mistake.

The league has been trending away from the goons and the "protectors." Maybe Reaves is "more" than that (lol), but he certainly came in to be a "goon" and "enforce" the game. All the interviews after the trade and even today are about that. This antiquated thought hasn't come to fruition as JR hoped. Surprise!

Bit of mental gymnastics there on the man games lost. Dating things back more than half a decade makes it even more questionable, as the Penguins roster was completely different and even employed more "tough guys" during that time frame than it does now.

Anyway, in order to bring that up as an argument, you'd have to assume:
A) A large chunk of injuries occurred because the Penguins stars or players in general were not being protected
B) If there were such a protector, the Penguins stars/players would not experience injuries

But those are falsehoods you know to be untrue that you're using to form an argument to make yourself feel better. You all lost because you were wrong. I was right. I will continue to let you know that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ryan Reaves
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:26 pm
Posts: 4371
Hacksaw Jim Duggan wrote:
SteelPro wrote:
I generally agree an enforcer is a wasted roster spot. However this year a 3 time Stanley Cup winning GM thought that roster spot was worth a gamble to try to do something to help a team that had lost more man games to injury than any other team over the last half decade. Maybe he should have consulted with the super genius first.


The same 3-time Stanley Cup-winning GM that hired a junior coach to manage the aspirations of a Stanley Cup contender with Evgeni Malkin and Sidney Crosby? The junior coach who hadn't sniffed an NHL head coaching position and whose meager NHL experience ended six years before getting hired. That one?

The same GM that traded for Jordan Staal and gave up huge assets, even though Staal had the Penguins over a barrel, declining their new contract offer and stating he wanted to play with his brother?

Seems like an easily identifiable, terrible mistake ended up being an easily identifiable, terrible mistake.

The league has been trending away from the goons and the "protectors." Maybe Reaves is "more" than that (lol), but he certainly came in to be a "goon" and "enforce" the game. All the interviews after the trade and even today are about that. This antiquated thought hasn't come to fruition as JR hoped. Surprise!

Bit of mental gymnastics there on the man games lost. Dating things back more than half a decade makes it even more questionable, as the Penguins roster was completely different and even employed more "tough guys" during that time frame than it does now.

Anyway, in order to bring that up as an argument, you'd have to assume:
A) A large chunk of injuries occurred because the Penguins stars or players in general were not being protected
B) If there were such a protector, the Penguins stars/players would not experience injuries

But those are falsehoods you know to be untrue that you're using to form an argument to make yourself feel better. You all lost because you were wrong. I was right. I will continue to let you know that.


Dude, You should definitely seek professional psychiatric help, because, while I don't give a rat's ass about your health, I don't want you killing a bunch of other innocent people one of these days when you explode.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ryan Reaves
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:43 pm
Posts: 895
:lol:

Hey, steel!

How are you doing, you dumbass retard?

Did you happen to see Ryan Reaves and his wonderful statline?

It went something like...

0 G
0 A
EVEN
7:22 TOI

Useless.


Last edited by Hacksaw Jim Duggan on Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ryan Reaves
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:22 am
Posts: 8891
This is easily one of the best threads in the history of the Pittsburgh Sports forum.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ryan Reaves
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:43 pm
Posts: 895
Orangesteel wrote:
This is easily one of the best threads in the history of the Pittsburgh Sports forum.



For sure, but BEST OFFSEASON-HISTORY-WORLD-PIRATES or whatever it was is the greatest.

Quote:
u know a lot about giving blow jobs, but you don't know dick about hockey, you fucking douchebag -- retard steel


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ryan Reaves
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:43 pm
Posts: 895
Reaves 2/15 vs. LAK
1 G
0 A
1 Pt
7:11 TOI
+1

Reaves was mostly awful in the first period, committing an awful offensive zone penalty on a poor forecheck. This was after he failed to score on a breakaway earlier in the game, though he was held up a bit. Reaves was able to use a quick shot to break the ice, which is actually the second time (Vegas game last week being the first) that he's drawn first blood for the team in a week. Kudos to Ryan for doing one of the things a 4th line player is supposed to do on the Penguins--score goals.

His season pace is now
79 GP
4 G
4 A
-13
:roll:


Here in the Ryan Reaves thread, we're about to embark on Aston-"Reaves" watch. What is this? Well, Aston-Reese would have been the perfect 4th liner for this team coming out for the season. He's a young player with fresh legs and something to prove. The best thing? He wouldn't have cost a first round pick. I guess the team has to "protect its stars" or something. So, let's see how quickly Aston-Reese can catch Ryan Reaves in points. "But Hacksaw! That's unfair! He plays with Sid a lot!"

It's almost like he's a better...player? For this team? Or something?

Ryan Reaves season total: 56 GP 4 G 3 A 7 P
Zach Aston-Reese season total: 6 GP 3 G 1 A 4 P

Let the race begin!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ryan Reaves
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:43 pm
Posts: 895
Whelp, Reaves sure did play his role tonight.

0 G
0 A
-1
4:53 ice time.

When Savard had a big hit on Rust in the open ice, I said to myself, "Boy, I can't wait until Reaves stays glued to the bench and does absolutely nothing."

He did!

Now, onto our super-exciting Aston-"Reaves" watch, where we compare the stats of should-have-been 4th liner Aston-Reese to dud Ryan Reaves. Let's take a look!

Reaves 58 GP 4 G 4 A 8 Pts -9
Aston-Reese 8 GP 4 G 1 A 5 Pts +3

The gap is closing!

Finally, for our new edition to the Reaves Recap, we're going to do something I call "Retard steel TRIGGERED quote of the day!" Similar to the Subway Sandwich of the Game, this edition will choose a random "hit" from the steel archives of crazy, triggered, 58-year-old yinzer inanity.


Retard steel TRIGGERED Quote of the Day

Quote:
mARTINEZO is a fucking bum -- it's a travesty that he's even on the roster, and it's a joke that hurdle started him tonite over polanco AND alvarez --- fucking jagoff


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ryan Reaves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:50 pm
Posts: 4452
Hacksaw Jim Duggan wrote:
SteelPro wrote:
I generally agree an enforcer is a wasted roster spot. However this year a 3 time Stanley Cup winning GM thought that roster spot was worth a gamble to try to do something to help a team that had lost more man games to injury than any other team over the last half decade. Maybe he should have consulted with the super genius first.


The same 3-time Stanley Cup-winning GM that hired a junior coach to manage the aspirations of a Stanley Cup contender with Evgeni Malkin and Sidney Crosby? The junior coach who hadn't sniffed an NHL head coaching position and whose meager NHL experience ended six years before getting hired. That one?

The same GM that traded for Jordan Staal and gave up huge assets, even though Staal had the Penguins over a barrel, declining their new contract offer and stating he wanted to play with his brother?

Seems like an easily identifiable, terrible mistake ended up being an easily identifiable, terrible mistake.

The league has been trending away from the goons and the "protectors." Maybe Reaves is "more" than that (lol), but he certainly came in to be a "goon" and "enforce" the game. All the interviews after the trade and even today are about that. This antiquated thought hasn't come to fruition as JR hoped. Surprise!

Bit of mental gymnastics there on the man games lost. Dating things back more than half a decade makes it even more questionable, as the Penguins roster was completely different and even employed more "tough guys" during that time frame than it does now.

Anyway, in order to bring that up as an argument, you'd have to assume:
A) A large chunk of injuries occurred because the Penguins stars or players in general were not being protected
B) If there were such a protector, the Penguins stars/players would not experience injuries

But those are falsehoods you know to be untrue that you're using to form an argument to make yourself feel better. You all lost because you were wrong. I was right. I will continue to let you know that.

Are you saying Rutherford has not done a good job overall despite missing on the Reaves trade?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ryan Reaves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 23267
Suwanee88 wrote:
Hacksaw Jim Duggan wrote:
SteelPro wrote:
I generally agree an enforcer is a wasted roster spot. However this year a 3 time Stanley Cup winning GM thought that roster spot was worth a gamble to try to do something to help a team that had lost more man games to injury than any other team over the last half decade. Maybe he should have consulted with the super genius first.


The same 3-time Stanley Cup-winning GM that hired a junior coach to manage the aspirations of a Stanley Cup contender with Evgeni Malkin and Sidney Crosby? The junior coach who hadn't sniffed an NHL head coaching position and whose meager NHL experience ended six years before getting hired. That one?

The same GM that traded for Jordan Staal and gave up huge assets, even though Staal had the Penguins over a barrel, declining their new contract offer and stating he wanted to play with his brother?

Seems like an easily identifiable, terrible mistake ended up being an easily identifiable, terrible mistake.

The league has been trending away from the goons and the "protectors." Maybe Reaves is "more" than that (lol), but he certainly came in to be a "goon" and "enforce" the game. All the interviews after the trade and even today are about that. This antiquated thought hasn't come to fruition as JR hoped. Surprise!

Bit of mental gymnastics there on the man games lost. Dating things back more than half a decade makes it even more questionable, as the Penguins roster was completely different and even employed more "tough guys" during that time frame than it does now.

Anyway, in order to bring that up as an argument, you'd have to assume:
A) A large chunk of injuries occurred because the Penguins stars or players in general were not being protected
B) If there were such a protector, the Penguins stars/players would not experience injuries

But those are falsehoods you know to be untrue that you're using to form an argument to make yourself feel better. You all lost because you were wrong. I was right. I will continue to let you know that.

Are you saying Rutherford has not done a good job overall despite missing on the Reaves trade?


Hacksaw just wants to be RIGHT.

I shudder to think of his posts should the Penguins not threepeat.

Then we’ll we treated to long posts as to how dealing for Reaves was the Beginning of The End.

Amazing how all these people who should be running sports teams are trapped posting on Steelerfury instead.

_________________
“A set of several simple rules leads to complex, intelligent behavior. While a set of complex rules often leads to dumb and primitive behavior.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ryan Reaves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:43 pm
Posts: 895
Jeemie wrote:
Hacksaw just wants to be RIGHT.

I shudder to think of his posts should the Penguins not threepeat.

Then we’ll we treated to long posts as to how dealing for Reaves was the Beginning of The End.

Amazing how all these people who should be running sports teams are trapped posting on Steelerfury instead.



Man, you have fallen on hard times.

Quote:
I will never hate a goal scored by a Pittsburgh Penguin or a save by one of their goalies.

I can only imagine two scenarios in which I'd want the team or one of its players to fail/lose.

1) A Mario/Crosby-type drafting tank
2) Where it would be the straw that broke the camels back in regards to a firing of a coach or the benching of a player (e.g., Bylsma's team, which clearly didn't have "it," losing to the Rangers after being up in a playoff series 3-1, leading to his ouster)

In every single regard, my leanings favor the team as a whole, and they ALWAYS come to fruition. Fleury getting usurped by Murray directly led to two Stanley Cups. Bylsma losing with Team USA made Shero's decision to fire him easier after the NYR series. In both cases, I wanted the yinzer-triggering thing to happen to better the logo.





Just stop getting triggered and whining and enjoy my education. Maybe you'll learn something. Based on what you've written in the past, you should reduce the post count and increase the reading.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ryan Reaves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:43 pm
Posts: 895
Suwanee88 wrote:
Are you saying Rutherford has not done a good job overall despite missing on the Reaves trade?


I don't think I once said he hasn't done a good overall job. He won two Stanley Cup in two years. A lot of that was from the moves he made (Kessel, Scuderi, Hagelin, Daley, Bonino, etc.). He also wasted nearly 1.5 years by hiring Mike Johnston, so there's obviously some things (like all GMs) he'd like to do over.


Rutherford had a terrible offseason. For whatever reason, he decided to neglect two of the things that made the team special: scoring and center depth. Look at his downfall with Carolina. You'll see the same sporadic player movement and identity issues mixed with owner unwillingness. With Jason Botterill leaving for Buffalo and Rutherford departing from this identity this offseason, it was easy to question just who was running the show the last few years. Rutherford has done some to makeup for the offseason, but he needs to do just a little more to improve these issues.

This thread happened and will continue to happen because everyone but the Super Genius missed the plot. You were all busy getting 5 out of 2+2. The Penguins won the Stanley Cup the last two years, but (with the exception of Donnie Brasco) you were viewing, you weren't watching. You may have liked it, but you didn't understand why it was happening. So, when GMs make these antiquated, traditional moves, it's a bit easy to understand that the yinzer "pound da rock" mentality comes out on a steelerfury forum. I guess I should have expected less from everyone. I will teach you.

I think Rutherford's most powerful allies are a strong analytics team and scouting staff. That's why you see guys like Oleksiak coming in and making a big difference. A lot of Rutherford has been being able to manage his ability to go crazy with a trade. They shoe hasn't dropped yet, and maybe, like Shero, he has learned from his past failures.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ryan Reaves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:13 pm
Posts: 1682
Suwanee88 wrote:
Are you saying Rutherford has not done a good job overall despite missing on the Reaves trade?

Was it even much of a miss? All he gave up for Reaves was Sundqvist (who, btw, has only 3 assists in 30 games for the Blues this season) and dropped back 20 spots in a very weak draft class.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ryan Reaves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 23267
Pabst wrote:
Suwanee88 wrote:
Are you saying Rutherford has not done a good job overall despite missing on the Reaves trade?

Was it even much of a miss? All he gave up for Reaves was Sundqvist (who, btw, has only 3 assists in 30 games for the Blues this season) and dropped back 20 spots in a very weak draft class.


It was as every much an over-reaction as steel declaring the Nate McLouth trade to be one of the best in Major League history.

Although at least steel didn’t start a year-long thread and then claimed no one else on the site (save for one person) understood hockey (although Steel did claim lame fans like us didn't deserve Nutting and Neal- lol).

This isn’t being “triggered” by Hacksaw’s thread. It’s being amused...as usual.

_________________
“A set of several simple rules leads to complex, intelligent behavior. While a set of complex rules often leads to dumb and primitive behavior.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ryan Reaves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 4687
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
Pabst wrote:
Suwanee88 wrote:
Are you saying Rutherford has not done a good job overall despite missing on the Reaves trade?

Was it even much of a miss? All he gave up for Reaves was Sundqvist (who, btw, has only 3 assists in 30 games for the Blues this season) and dropped back 20 spots in a very weak draft class.


There's a chance we were overrating Sundqvist a little bit. Hell, a few years ago, I knew a couple of folks who were pissed we had to give up Kapanen in the Kessel trade.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ryan Reaves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:43 pm
Posts: 895
Jeemie wrote:
Pabst wrote:
Suwanee88 wrote:
Are you saying Rutherford has not done a good job overall despite missing on the Reaves trade?

Was it even much of a miss? All he gave up for Reaves was Sundqvist (who, btw, has only 3 assists in 30 games for the Blues this season) and dropped back 20 spots in a very weak draft class.


It was as every much an over-reaction as steel declaring the Nate McLouth trade to be one of the best in Major League history.

Although at least steel didn’t start a year-long thread and then claimed no one else on the site (save for one person) understood hockey (although Steel did claim lame fans like us didn't deserve Nutting and Neal- lol).

This isn’t being “triggered” by Hacksaw’s thread. It’s being amused...as usual.



Coming back for more! I love it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfX5fqN8kYY


Last edited by Hacksaw Jim Duggan on Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ryan Reaves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:43 pm
Posts: 895
Ice wrote:
Pabst wrote:
Suwanee88 wrote:
Are you saying Rutherford has not done a good job overall despite missing on the Reaves trade?

Was it even much of a miss? All he gave up for Reaves was Sundqvist (who, btw, has only 3 assists in 30 games for the Blues this season) and dropped back 20 spots in a very weak draft class.


There's a chance we were overrating Sundqvist a little bit. Hell, a few years ago, I knew a couple of folks who were pissed we had to give up Kapanen in the Kessel trade.


Sundqvist was a throw-in for roster purposes. The principal of the deal outweighs its overall impact.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group