It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Steelers hosting Mahomes and Dobbs today
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:12 pm
Posts: 4169
Quote:
and honestly could be a very shrewd move.


Which means it won't happen given we have tweetle dee and tweetle dumb running the show...

I'd be pleasantly surprised to see something of that sort take place.

Safe bet is to assume business as usual and that we make our selection as soon as we are on the clock.

Hopefully we don't end up with another Jarvis Jones...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steelers hosting Mahomes and Dobbs today
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:12 pm
Posts: 4169
Quote:
and honestly could be a very shrewd move.


Which means it won't happen given we have tweetle dee and tweetle dumb running the show...

I'd be pleasantly surprised to see something of that sort take place.

Safe bet is to assume business as usual and that we make our selection as soon as we are on the clock.

Hopefully we don't end up with another Jarvis Jones...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steelers hosting Mahomes and Dobbs today
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:52 pm
Posts: 1609
JD Wildcat weapon, 7th round or FA only.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steelers hosting Mahomes and Dobbs today
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:15 pm
Posts: 34
I'd love to get Mahomes but he won't last to our pick.

Dobbs? Pass. He would need a lot of work before he'd become serviceable.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steelers hosting Mahomes and Dobbs today
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:42 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16337
Yinzer Buckeye wrote:
I'd love to get Mahomes but he won't last to our pick.

Dobbs? Pass. He would need a lot of work before he'd become serviceable.

I think he's a better fit in, say NE, where its all about quick reads and get rid of the ball.

_________________
Suwanee88 wrote:
But it’s your fault that you are kind of a stubborn jagoff that would argue with a fence post


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steelers hosting Mahomes and Dobbs today
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:01 am
Posts: 145
Hadn't been on the board in a while, but thought I'd weigh in on Dobbs (as a resident TN Vol fan). I'm a big fan. Here's my overall appraisal:

1. Few QB have ever run between the tackles as well as Dobbs. He can get outside and in the open field, too, but the one thing he does as a runner I really hadn't seen anyone do much better was draws between the tackles. Now, how useful that is in the NFL is debateable, but it tells you something about the mix of athleticism and size that he has. He's a big strong guy.

2. Does he have an NFL arm? Depends on your definition. He can make all the throws. He has a big arm. His accuracy was hit and miss. There's a bit of windup in his motion. His release is not particularly quick. Was good at dink and dunk and was good at vertical passing, the mid game could be iffy at times. His mechanics are not consistent. He doesn't look like a natural thrower.

3. Obviously the guy's intelligence and character is special. I will say, however, that you don't always see his impressive brain translate into "football IQ", as far as making really fast reads. He does however show his impressive intellect and composure in two minute situations.

4. One of the previous posters said he seemed like a NE type player. I disagree to some degree. The Pats love smart guys, but I don't see Dobbs as a quick pass/west coast offense type. He actually is more similar to Big Ben; a big athletic guy with a big arm that throws the ball downfield and is hard to tackle.

5. I just can't imagine this guy doesn't at least become a credible backup. That's his floor. Dobbs is smarter than Fitzpatrick and a much better athlete. Really smart QB's tend to find a career in the league. If we took him 3rd round or lower, I wouldn't mind. Would be nice to have at least a shot of a QB succession plan.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steelers hosting Mahomes and Dobbs today
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:13 pm 
alhill wrote:
Hadn't been on the board in a while, but thought I'd weigh in on Dobbs (as a resident TN Vol fan). I'm a big fan. Here's my overall appraisal:

1. Few QB have ever run between the tackles as well as Dobbs. He can get outside and in the open field, too, but the one thing he does as a runner I really hadn't seen anyone do much better was draws between the tackles. Now, how useful that is in the NFL is debateable, but it tells you something about the mix of athleticism and size that he has. He's a big strong guy.

2. Does he have an NFL arm? Depends on your definition. He can make all the throws. He has a big arm. His accuracy was hit and miss. There's a bit of windup in his motion. His release is not particularly quick. Was good at dink and dunk and was good at vertical passing, the mid game could be iffy at times. His mechanics are not consistent. He doesn't look like a natural thrower.

3. Obviously the guy's intelligence and character is special. I will say, however, that you don't always see his impressive brain translate into "football IQ", as far as making really fast reads. He does however show his impressive intellect and composure in two minute situations.

4. One of the previous posters said he seemed like a NE type player. I disagree to some degree. The Pats love smart guys, but I don't see Dobbs as a quick pass/west coast offense type. He actually is more similar to Big Ben; a big athletic guy with a big arm that throws the ball downfield and is hard to tackle.

5. I just can't imagine this guy doesn't at least become a credible backup. That's his floor. Dobbs is smarter than Fitzpatrick and a much better athlete. Really smart QB's tend to find a career in the league. If we took him 3rd round or lower, I wouldn't mind. Would be nice to have at least a shot of a QB succession plan.



Interesting......always good to hear from alhill


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steelers hosting Mahomes and Dobbs today
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:16 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16337
thanks alhill

I'm the one who has him as a Patriot-- I think he can learn the processing and the throws they will ask him to make are somewhat easier.

_________________
Suwanee88 wrote:
But it’s your fault that you are kind of a stubborn jagoff that would argue with a fence post


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steelers hosting Mahomes and Dobbs today
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 11333
PIT never trades down in R1, and almost never in any round. They identify the guy they like, and normally are thrilled to get him. There's no second guessing when you pass on someone trading down, and there's no criticism for turning down trade offers that almost never leak.

As for Dobbs, I think beyond a certain point brains don't make you a better NFL QB. Ben was pretty average, wonderlic I think of 24-25 while Eli Manning scored a 38. And just because you are really smart doesn't mean you excel at quick pattern recognition necessary to be an NFL QB. I think top NFL QB's strive to find the balance where film prep helps them diagnose the defense, but without falling into the trap of being too anticipatory based on alignments you saw on film.

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steelers hosting Mahomes and Dobbs today
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:13 pm
Posts: 1684
Kodiak wrote:
PIT never trades down in R1, and almost never in any round. They identify the guy they like, and normally are thrilled to get him. There's no second guessing when you pass on someone trading down, and there's no criticism for turning down trade offers that almost never leak.

As for Dobbs, I think beyond a certain point brains don't make you a better NFL QB. Ben was pretty average, wonderlic I think of 24-25 while Eli Manning scored a 38. And just because you are really smart doesn't mean you excel at quick pattern recognition necessary to be an NFL QB. I think top NFL QB's strive to find the balance where film prep helps them diagnose the defense, but without falling into the trap of being too anticipatory based on alignments you saw on film.

Funny anecdote: a good friend of mine once worked in the front office for the KC Chiefs. There are certain positions where too high of a Wonderlic score would actually be a negative to a player's draft stock. He specifically mentioned RB and LB as two positions where, beyond a certain point, scores would negatively correlate to NFL success.

My guess is that you need to be somewhat of an idiot to willingly take/deliver those kinds of hits.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steelers hosting Mahomes and Dobbs today
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 11333
Pabst wrote:
He specifically mentioned RB and LB as two positions where, beyond a certain point, scores would negatively correlate to NFL success.


That's easy....At those positions, you think too much you suck. I guess Jervis must have been a deep thinker...

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steelers hosting Mahomes and Dobbs today
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:12 pm
Posts: 4169
As was Mendenhall.

He had all the tools...


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BarryFoster, Louis Lipps Service, SOCALSTEEL, Steelergenie and 30 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group