It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Steelers hosting Mahomes and Dobbs today
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:43 pm 

Quote:
and honestly could be a very shrewd move.

Which means it won't happen given we have tweetle dee and tweetle dumb running the show...

I'd be pleasantly surprised to see something of that sort take place.

Safe bet is to assume business as usual and that we make our selection as soon as we are on the clock.

Hopefully we don't end up with another Jarvis Jones...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:45 pm 

Quote:
and honestly could be a very shrewd move.

Which means it won't happen given we have tweetle dee and tweetle dumb running the show...

I'd be pleasantly surprised to see something of that sort take place.

Safe bet is to assume business as usual and that we make our selection as soon as we are on the clock.

Hopefully we don't end up with another Jarvis Jones...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:41 pm 

JD Wildcat weapon, 7th round or FA only.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:11 pm 

I'd love to get Mahomes but he won't last to our pick.

Dobbs? Pass. He would need a lot of work before he'd become serviceable.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:42 am 

Yinzer Buckeye wrote:
I'd love to get Mahomes but he won't last to our pick.

Dobbs? Pass. He would need a lot of work before he'd become serviceable.

I think he's a better fit in, say NE, where its all about quick reads and get rid of the ball.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:08 pm 

Hadn't been on the board in a while, but thought I'd weigh in on Dobbs (as a resident TN Vol fan). I'm a big fan. Here's my overall appraisal:

1. Few QB have ever run between the tackles as well as Dobbs. He can get outside and in the open field, too, but the one thing he does as a runner I really hadn't seen anyone do much better was draws between the tackles. Now, how useful that is in the NFL is debateable, but it tells you something about the mix of athleticism and size that he has. He's a big strong guy.

2. Does he have an NFL arm? Depends on your definition. He can make all the throws. He has a big arm. His accuracy was hit and miss. There's a bit of windup in his motion. His release is not particularly quick. Was good at dink and dunk and was good at vertical passing, the mid game could be iffy at times. His mechanics are not consistent. He doesn't look like a natural thrower.

3. Obviously the guy's intelligence and character is special. I will say, however, that you don't always see his impressive brain translate into "football IQ", as far as making really fast reads. He does however show his impressive intellect and composure in two minute situations.

4. One of the previous posters said he seemed like a NE type player. I disagree to some degree. The Pats love smart guys, but I don't see Dobbs as a quick pass/west coast offense type. He actually is more similar to Big Ben; a big athletic guy with a big arm that throws the ball downfield and is hard to tackle.

5. I just can't imagine this guy doesn't at least become a credible backup. That's his floor. Dobbs is smarter than Fitzpatrick and a much better athlete. Really smart QB's tend to find a career in the league. If we took him 3rd round or lower, I wouldn't mind. Would be nice to have at least a shot of a QB succession plan.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:13 pm 
alhill wrote:
Hadn't been on the board in a while, but thought I'd weigh in on Dobbs (as a resident TN Vol fan). I'm a big fan. Here's my overall appraisal:

1. Few QB have ever run between the tackles as well as Dobbs. He can get outside and in the open field, too, but the one thing he does as a runner I really hadn't seen anyone do much better was draws between the tackles. Now, how useful that is in the NFL is debateable, but it tells you something about the mix of athleticism and size that he has. He's a big strong guy.

2. Does he have an NFL arm? Depends on your definition. He can make all the throws. He has a big arm. His accuracy was hit and miss. There's a bit of windup in his motion. His release is not particularly quick. Was good at dink and dunk and was good at vertical passing, the mid game could be iffy at times. His mechanics are not consistent. He doesn't look like a natural thrower.

3. Obviously the guy's intelligence and character is special. I will say, however, that you don't always see his impressive brain translate into "football IQ", as far as making really fast reads. He does however show his impressive intellect and composure in two minute situations.

4. One of the previous posters said he seemed like a NE type player. I disagree to some degree. The Pats love smart guys, but I don't see Dobbs as a quick pass/west coast offense type. He actually is more similar to Big Ben; a big athletic guy with a big arm that throws the ball downfield and is hard to tackle.

5. I just can't imagine this guy doesn't at least become a credible backup. That's his floor. Dobbs is smarter than Fitzpatrick and a much better athlete. Really smart QB's tend to find a career in the league. If we took him 3rd round or lower, I wouldn't mind. Would be nice to have at least a shot of a QB succession plan.

Interesting......always good to hear from alhill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:16 pm 

thanks alhill

I'm the one who has him as a Patriot-- I think he can learn the processing and the throws they will ask him to make are somewhat easier.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:52 pm 

PIT never trades down in R1, and almost never in any round. They identify the guy they like, and normally are thrilled to get him. There's no second guessing when you pass on someone trading down, and there's no criticism for turning down trade offers that almost never leak.

As for Dobbs, I think beyond a certain point brains don't make you a better NFL QB. Ben was pretty average, wonderlic I think of 24-25 while Eli Manning scored a 38. And just because you are really smart doesn't mean you excel at quick pattern recognition necessary to be an NFL QB. I think top NFL QB's strive to find the balance where film prep helps them diagnose the defense, but without falling into the trap of being too anticipatory based on alignments you saw on film.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:49 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
PIT never trades down in R1, and almost never in any round. They identify the guy they like, and normally are thrilled to get him. There's no second guessing when you pass on someone trading down, and there's no criticism for turning down trade offers that almost never leak.

As for Dobbs, I think beyond a certain point brains don't make you a better NFL QB. Ben was pretty average, wonderlic I think of 24-25 while Eli Manning scored a 38. And just because you are really smart doesn't mean you excel at quick pattern recognition necessary to be an NFL QB. I think top NFL QB's strive to find the balance where film prep helps them diagnose the defense, but without falling into the trap of being too anticipatory based on alignments you saw on film.

Funny anecdote: a good friend of mine once worked in the front office for the KC Chiefs. There are certain positions where too high of a Wonderlic score would actually be a negative to a player's draft stock. He specifically mentioned RB and LB as two positions where, beyond a certain point, scores would negatively correlate to NFL success.

My guess is that you need to be somewhat of an idiot to willingly take/deliver those kinds of hits.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:54 am 

Pabst wrote:
He specifically mentioned RB and LB as two positions where, beyond a certain point, scores would negatively correlate to NFL success.

That's easy....At those positions, you think too much you suck. I guess Jervis must have been a deep thinker...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:27 pm 

As was Mendenhall.

He had all the tools...