It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Round the League (only stuff we give a shit about)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 23270
R S wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
We've actually lived to see the Steelers beat the Patriots when the Pats were at full strength.

2011 was not that long ago.

The reason I asked Swiss about Cleveland is by wishing lots of injuries on New England, you want to knock their talent level towards the lesser teams like Cleveland (OK...Cleveland was an exaggeration).

The only distinguishing characteristic would then be the uniforms they wear.



Whatever you personally feel about Lit going full bore logic here...you have to admit it's sweeter to beat the good teams than the bad teams precisely because the good teams are good.

You want to test your team's mettle against the best teams to prove YOU are the best.


Image


Why is it wrong?

I'm not saying I wouldn't enjoy a win against a weakened Pats' team...but I definitely enjoyed the 2011 win over them v the 2008 win.

_________________
“A set of several simple rules leads to complex, intelligent behavior. While a set of complex rules often leads to dumb and primitive behavior.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Round the League (only stuff we give a shit about)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:19 am
Posts: 9672
swissvale72 wrote:
So let me get this straight, Lit. You spew bullshit...you sort of admit that it's bullshit...but according to the rules of the philosophy department, it stands until I definitively refute it.

That's good work if you can get it.


No Swiss, I do not in fact think it is BS. I was echoing your own language. I have provided arguments that advance conclusions about your position on rooting for injuries. Arguments you so far are unable to refute. If you do not like those conclusions, by all means, explain why the conclusions do not follow from the premises that advance them.

Definitvely refute? Who cares about definitive. You have yet to do anything to show why my arguments are poor at all, let alone definitively bad.

Instead, you keep deflecting by ranting about my profession. Who gives s fuck what you think about me or my profession. If you're going to claim my arguments are shit, show why.

You're all sound and fury. Show me the substance. Tell us why the arguments fail to secure the conclusions provided.

_________________
TB wrote:
Breaking news: Tom Brady is also better than Ben Roethlisberger. Jerry Rice is better than Antonio Brown. Your mom is a bigger slut than my mom.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Round the League (only stuff we give a shit about)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:19 am
Posts: 9672
Jeemie wrote:
R S wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
We've actually lived to see the Steelers beat the Patriots when the Pats were at full strength.

2011 was not that long ago.

The reason I asked Swiss about Cleveland is by wishing lots of injuries on New England, you want to knock their talent level towards the lesser teams like Cleveland (OK...Cleveland was an exaggeration).

The only distinguishing characteristic would then be the uniforms they wear.



Whatever you personally feel about Lit going full bore logic here...you have to admit it's sweeter to beat the good teams than the bad teams precisely because the good teams are good.

You want to test your team's mettle against the best teams to prove YOU are the best.


Image


Why is it wrong?

I'm not saying I wouldn't enjoy a win against a weakened Pats' team...but I definitely enjoyed the 2011 win over them v the 2008 win.


Yes bc my first argument is unassailable. Wins against better opponents are more quality wins. It likely (according to my second argument) follows that those wins are more pleasurable.

_________________
TB wrote:
Breaking news: Tom Brady is also better than Ben Roethlisberger. Jerry Rice is better than Antonio Brown. Your mom is a bigger slut than my mom.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Round the League (only stuff we give a shit about)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:08 pm
Posts: 6330
Image

_________________
"I wish Fraudlin would get testicular cancer and die after he watches me anally penetrate his wife."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Round the League (only stuff we give a shit about)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm
Posts: 7291
Still Lit wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:
So let me get this straight, Lit. You spew bullshit...you sort of admit that it's bullshit...but according to the rules of the philosophy department, it stands until I definitively refute it.

That's good work if you can get it.


No Swiss, I do not in fact think it is BS. I was echoing your own language. I have provided arguments that advance conclusions about your position on rooting for injuries. Arguments you so far are unable to refute. If you do not like those conclusions, by all means, explain why the conclusions do not follow from the premises that advance them.

Definitvely refute? Who cares about definitive. You have yet to do anything to show why my arguments are poor at all, let alone definitively bad.

Instead, you keep deflecting by ranting about my profession. Who gives s fuck what you think about me or my profession. If you're going to claim my arguments are shit, show why.

You're all sound and fury. Show me the substance. Tell us why the arguments fail to secure the conclusions provided.


I'm not ranting about your profession, Lit; I'm ranting about YOU within your profession. Notice I say nothing negative about your fellow college professors, Hesske & Stosh. You think that might have something to do with those two guys not being full of shit, not spewing endless mumbo-jumbo? Again, you make a statement and then contend it's true unless someone proves you wrong. Burden of proof is on you, Egghead.

All you've proven is that beating a team that's playing at full strength might be more pleasurable for you. And, that you place a higher priority on your enjoyment of the game than your team, y'know, actually winning the game.

And don't think you're twisting the argument hasn't gone unnoticed. I never suggested that beating the Patriots wasn't a bigger deal than beating the Browns. I DID say that beating the Patriots with their best players perhaps injured wasn't going to diminish my enjoy of that win one single bit. And given that those injuries, part of the game, increase my team's chances of winning, I'll be rooting for those injuries. And, given your position that that's pussy fandom, well....the geeky professor must think there's plenty of pussies on this esteemed website. Check out the OP in the other forum. It's not exactly scientific, but it's a far cry more legit than your simply stating your personal preference.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Round the League (only stuff we give a shit about)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:58 pm
Posts: 6888
2011 was a looooooong time ago...

_________________
"They're standing around, Butz!" - Kevin O'Shea


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Round the League (only stuff we give a shit about)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:12 pm
Posts: 1751
Jobus Rum wrote:
2011 was a looooooong time ago...

6 years. Also time is relative.

You're welcome.

_________________
Get well soon, Matt Murray


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Round the League (only stuff we give a shit about)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:19 am
Posts: 9672
swissvale72 wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:
So let me get this straight, Lit. You spew bullshit...you sort of admit that it's bullshit...but according to the rules of the philosophy department, it stands until I definitively refute it.

That's good work if you can get it.


No Swiss, I do not in fact think it is BS. I was echoing your own language. I have provided arguments that advance conclusions about your position on rooting for injuries. Arguments you so far are unable to refute. If you do not like those conclusions, by all means, explain why the conclusions do not follow from the premises that advance them.

Definitvely refute? Who cares about definitive. You have yet to do anything to show why my arguments are poor at all, let alone definitively bad.

Instead, you keep deflecting by ranting about my profession. Who gives s fuck what you think about me or my profession. If you're going to claim my arguments are shit, show why.

You're all sound and fury. Show me the substance. Tell us why the arguments fail to secure the conclusions provided.


I'm not ranting about your profession, Lit; I'm ranting about YOU within your profession. Notice I say nothing negative about your fellow college professors, Hesske & Stosh. You think that might have something to do with those two guys not being full of shit, not spewing endless mumbo-jumbo? Again, you make a statement and then contend it's true unless someone proves you wrong. Burden of proof is on you, Egghead.

All you've proven is that beating a team that's playing at full strength might be more pleasurable for you. And, that you place a higher priority on your enjoyment of the game than your team, y'know, actually winning the game.

And don't think you're twisting the argument hasn't gone unnoticed. I never suggested that beating the Patriots wasn't a bigger deal than beating the Browns. I DID say that beating the Patriots with their best players perhaps injured wasn't going to diminish my enjoy of that win one single bit. And given that those injuries, part of the game, increase my team's chances of winning, I'll be rooting for those injuries. And, given your position that that's pussy fandom, well....the geeky professor must think there's plenty of pussies on this esteemed website. Check out the OP in the other forum. It's not exactly scientific, but it's a far cry more legit than your simply stating your personal preference.


More ranting and BS.

I gave three arguments that advance three conclusions about your position on rooting for injuries. Please point out where I twisted anything.

You STILL have yet to show why the premises that advance those conclusions are unsound or why the conclusions do not follow from the premises given. All you continue to do is merely assert without argument that the conclusions are wrong.

Since you are unwilling and, more likely, unable to show why the premises are unsound or why the conclusions do not follow from the premises, any other pussy fan is welcome to show why I am wrong.

All sound and fury, no substance.

I'm laughing at you because you continue to insist that I am merely declaring myself right. I gave arguments, not assertions. And if you think my conclusions are full of shit, please, show us why the conclusions are wrong. Don't just say they are. Explain why I am wrong.

Now, you're under no obligation to show why I am wrong. You can just move to other topics on the board if you like. I'm such a joke to you seems odd you keep returning to this thread. But you have done fuck all to show why my arguments are wrong.

_________________
TB wrote:
Breaking news: Tom Brady is also better than Ben Roethlisberger. Jerry Rice is better than Antonio Brown. Your mom is a bigger slut than my mom.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Round the League (only stuff we give a shit about)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:56 pm
Posts: 1040
R S wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
Jobus Rum wrote:
Hard to say...if the Steelers ever, you know, actually beat the Pats, well...


We've actually lived to see the Steelers beat the Patriots when the Pats were at full strength.

2011 was not that long ago.

The reason I asked Swiss about Cleveland is by wishing lots of injuries on New England, you want to knock their talent level towards the lesser teams like Cleveland (OK...Cleveland was an exaggeration).

The only distinguishing characteristic would then be the uniforms they wear.



Whatever you personally feel about Lit going full bore logic here...you have to admit it's sweeter to beat the good teams than the bad teams precisely because the good teams are good.

You want to test your team's mettle against the best teams to prove YOU are the best.


Image


First, this GIF makes me throw up in my mouth and want to punch the screen.

Second, unless I'm missing something, the comments are spot on. Beating the Patriots or any quality team is undoubtedly more satisfying than beating weaker opponents.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Round the League (only stuff we give a shit about)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm
Posts: 7291
I'm laughing at you, lit...as I'm no longer kidding about your mumbo jumbo
but serious about you being totally full of shit. You've proven nothing. Feel free to argue that you have


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Round the League (only stuff we give a shit about)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:19 am
Posts: 9672
Ok, Swiss. You say I have proved nothing, but you have not shown why. I have at least provided arguments. You continue to provide sound and fury.

If it is so obvious that I have proved nothing you'll be able to show why my arguments don't work.

So: explain which premise is unsound. Explain why the conclusions do not follow from the premises provided.

Argument 1 (Quality of wins)

P1: Wins against better quality opponents are objectively better wins.
P2: The better the opposing players (and coaches), the better quality of the opponent.
P3: Therefore, wins against better opposing players (and coaches) are better wins.
Conclusion: Rooting for injuries is rooting for wins of inferior quality.

(Not subjective at all: wins against better players are wins of higher quality: can't wait to see you argue otherwise. I expect you merely to reply that you do not care about quality. Point is, your injury manifesto roots for wins of lower quality. Your not caring is not a refutation.)

Argument 2 (Quality of pleasure)

P1: It is a more and better pleasure to accomplish something difficult than something easy. (P1 is the controversial premise).
P2: Beating a team of higher quality players is more difficult than beating a team of lower quality players.
P3: Therefore, the pleasure of the Steelers beating a team of higher quality players is of higher quality than the pleasure that comes from the Steelers beating a team with lower quality players.
Conclusion: Rooting for injuries is rooting for pleasure of lower quality.

(Regarding P1: I maintain that what is more difficult to accomplish is a pleasure of higher quality. Aiming for pleasures that involve more difficulty and are harder to obtain [e.g., Steelers beating Pats when Pats are at full strength] carry the risk of greater disappointment. So observe that my position of not rooting for injuries because I desire higher quality pleasure and higher quality wins also runs the risk of enduring greater disappointment for the fan. More on this below in argument 3.)

Argument 3 (As a fan, with respect to rooting for injuries, you're a pussy.)

P1: You root for injuries because it decreases risk.
P2: Pussies are risk averse. The pussy seeks to avoid risk as much as possible to guarantee success.
P3: Therefore, you advocate the easiest path to victory as opposed to the highest quality path.
Conclusion: your injury position is a pussy manifesto. You want the competition as weak as possible to ensure success as much as possible.

(You will say you are a prudent fan, not a pussy fan. But of course cowards think the courageous are rash and imprudent. Not calling you a coward. It's an analogy. My honest position is that I do not root for injuries because I favor higher quality of wins and higher quality pleasure. Also, I embrace the increased risk of losing [because I am not a pussy fan, but you will claim I am a stupid fan thus], and therefore enduring pain from the Steelers losing, by wishing for the Steelers to play teams at their best.)

Now, if you think my arguments prove nothing, i.e., if you think my arguments do not secure the conclusions provided, please tell us why.

_________________
TB wrote:
Breaking news: Tom Brady is also better than Ben Roethlisberger. Jerry Rice is better than Antonio Brown. Your mom is a bigger slut than my mom.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Round the League (only stuff we give a shit about)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm
Posts: 7291
I will respond in more detail tomorrow night when I am home in New Hampshire and not needing to type on my phone. Suffice to say though there is risk averse… There is risk embracing… And then there's being fucking stupid. Opting to face the patriots with gronk, with Brady rather than without them is fucking stupid


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Round the League (only stuff we give a shit about)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:19 am
Posts: 9672
swissvale72 wrote:
I will respond in more detail tomorrow night when I am home in New Hampshire and not needing to type on my phone. Suffice to say though there is risk averse… There is risk embracing… And then there's being fucking stupid. Opting to face the patriots with gronk, with Brady rather than without them is fucking stupid


Very good. You will observe in my comments that I have already foreseen this objection. As I have said, you seek to reduce risk as much as possible, not have your team face the toughest tests possible.

But we'll have a civil discourse that will benefit us both.

_________________
TB wrote:
Breaking news: Tom Brady is also better than Ben Roethlisberger. Jerry Rice is better than Antonio Brown. Your mom is a bigger slut than my mom.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Round the League (only stuff we give a shit about)
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:35 pm
Posts: 7608
I don't necessarily agree with this, mind you, but how about

P1. As far as the NFL is concerned, all Lombardis are considered equal regardless of how difficult or easy the path in obtaining one
P2. The same pleasure is derived from obtaining any Lombardi regardless of how difficult or easy the path in obtaining one.
P3. Therefore, may as well root for the easiest path to obtaining a Lombardi.

So disagreeing with the idea that more difficult wins (at least insofar as winning a Lombardi is concerned) are necessarily more satisfying than easy wins because even the easiest possible path to winning a Lombardi is still sufficiently difficult as to still make the winning of one immensely satisfying.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Round the League (only stuff we give a shit about)
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:19 am
Posts: 9672
Poltargyst wrote:
I don't necessarily agree with this, mind you, but how about

P1. As far as the NFL is concerned, all Lombardis are considered equal regardless of how difficult or easy the path in obtaining one
P2. The same pleasure is derived from obtaining any Lombardi regardless of how difficult or easy the path in obtaining one.
P3. Therefore, may as well root for the easiest path to obtaining a Lombardi.

So disagreeing with the idea that more difficult wins (at least insofar as winning a Lombardi is concerned) are necessarily more satisfying than easy wins because even the easiest possible path to winning a Lombardi is still sufficiently difficult as to still make the winning of one immensely satisfying.


Hi Polt.

See argument two.

Even if you do not experience more intensity of pleasure, I make the claim that the harder won games may be better pleasures bc more difficult to obtain. So the argument also concerns the quality of the pleasure. This is the hardest sell.

But I will wish to argue that some pleasures are better than others, either because of the faculties they engage (reason vs sensation) or bc the pleasure was harder to obtain. In this case, I want to say that a Lombardi secured via a harder strength of schedule is more satisfying than one via an easier strength of schedule because it was harder to obtain. What is up for grabs is whether what is harder to obtain is more satisfying OR a pleasure of higher quality.

_________________
TB wrote:
Breaking news: Tom Brady is also better than Ben Roethlisberger. Jerry Rice is better than Antonio Brown. Your mom is a bigger slut than my mom.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Round the League (only stuff we give a shit about)
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:08 pm
Posts: 6330
Quote:
“Nothing in the world is worth having or worth doing unless it means effort, pain, difficulty… I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life. I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well.”
Theodore Roosevelt

Quote:
The price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand, and the determination that whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand.
Vince Lombardi

And the more plebeian wisdom
Quote:
Nothing worth having comes easy.
/Shrug.

_________________
"I wish Fraudlin would get testicular cancer and die after he watches me anally penetrate his wife."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Round the League (only stuff we give a shit about)
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:19 am
Posts: 9672
COR-TEN wrote:
Quote:
“Nothing in the world is worth having or worth doing unless it means effort, pain, difficulty… I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life. I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well.”
Theodore Roosevelt

Quote:
The price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand, and the determination that whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand.
Vince Lombardi

And the more plebeian wisdom
Quote:
Nothing worth having comes easy.
/Shrug.


And yet, I'm willing to concede that one may feel no difference in intensity of pleasure with an easier route to the SB (which I would attribute to coarseness of feeling). But what I really want to ask is whether the pleasure from winning a harder schedule is of higher quality. This allows me to get the argument away from subjective feelings. So I have tried hard to be careful and speak of MORE as well as BETTER sorts of pleasure.

I think my second and third arguments are defeasible. The first one is absolutely rock solid.

_________________
TB wrote:
Breaking news: Tom Brady is also better than Ben Roethlisberger. Jerry Rice is better than Antonio Brown. Your mom is a bigger slut than my mom.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Round the League (only stuff we give a shit about)
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:08 pm
Posts: 6330
Still Lit wrote:
But what I really want to ask is whether the pleasure from winning a harder schedule is of higher quality.
The NFL seems to think so in determining tie breakers with teams and their "strength of schedule," yes? You are talking about subjective personal pleasure. . .

_________________
"I wish Fraudlin would get testicular cancer and die after he watches me anally penetrate his wife."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Round the League (only stuff we give a shit about)
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm
Posts: 7291
COR-TEN wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
But what I really want to ask is whether the pleasure from winning a harder schedule is of higher quality.
The NFL seems to think so in determining tie breakers with teams and their "strength of schedule," yes? You are talking about subjective personal pleasure. . .

One could also use that argument though, and say that in some circumstances, win over browns exceeds win over patriots, had Steelers still be in dogfight for afc norf crown


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Round the League (only stuff we give a shit about)
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm
Posts: 7291
Ok...I'll try this again...just spent 15 min on a post that didn't post cuz one of you asshats was posting at the same time. Rainy, foggy morn in nyc...Empire State bldg is rite outside my window, can't even see it. Excuse typos on this phone post. The goody professor, still lit, is already ceding the majority of his foolish arguments, largely because he's guilty of something which he accused another poster of in the Shazier thread, that being assuming what he is fringe to prove. The prob, professor, is that you're assuming what you're trying to prove. Also, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, lit. Jeems enjoyed the 11 win over pats more than the 08 win. I'm the opposite. Why?? Cuz there's other factors beyond the strength of your opponent, factors like the venue and the particulars of the game. The 08 win was in Foxboro, fat Casey Hampton had a full fledged tantrum following a bullshit penalty, then em a big play directly following, with the same histrionics. James Harrison beat Matt lightweight twice for strip sacks. And best of all, Ryan Clark lit wes welder the fuck up. So...for ME, that game was the more enjoyable one. And I'll come back to an earlier point...does anyone for a second think that there was any Teeth gnashing in New England on Sunday nite, anyone bellyaching that thei enjoyment was compromised because AB left the game earlier?? Jeems' protests aside, it's an apt comparison and his absence didn't fuckin matter to the smug mother fuckers that root for the new england patriots. I'll endorse polyts points. Some events, like an Sb win, are such singular achievements, so immensely enjoyable, that any other add-in's, like your opponent
Not being at full strength, are negligible at best. Seems like lit is the sort that worries about what detractors will say about other teams injuries, about other teams penalties, like in SB XL. Me...I don't much give a fuck. I'll enjoy a Steeler winover pats just as much if gronk doesn't play as if he does, unless of coursr, we manage to fuck him up in the process (starting g to hate that biitch approaching tedi bruschi hate). So...all that said, I'll opt for increasing my teams chances of beating these fucks by having their best players on the shelf..and I'll enjoy that win no less as a result. Sorry bout the tupos


Last edited by swissvale72 on Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Round the League (only stuff we give a shit about)
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:19 am
Posts: 9672
No Swiss.

I don't see how you fail to grasp that I am not merely assuming things.

I am not merely positing conclusions and claiming they are true.

I provided premises to advance those conclusions.

YOU then claimed I was wrong.

I then asked you to explain why.

YOU then proceeded to supply much sound and fury, but no assessment of the premises.

The poster yonwhom you refer that I accused of begging a question assumed something without argument.

Big, big difference. If you are going to treat arguments as things no different than unjustified assumptions, we can't proceed.

Let's put down the insults and concentrate on the arguments instead, shall we.

Lot's of family obligations (happily) the next few days, as to be expected.

We'll sort all this out.

But. What I have voluntarily ceded as not wrong, but defeasible is the second argument. The first and third arguments I have more confidence in.

I will add; you still are not directly engaging the premises I use to secure my conclusions. To show why I am wrong about my conclusions, we have to show why the premises are unsound. Otherwise, what you suppose to undermine my conclusions may not be what those conclusions rest on. And hence I can claim my conclusions have not been refuted.

Lest you think I'm full of shit, it's no different in geometry. Take a gander at Euclid. It's all syllogisms just as I have given.

_________________
TB wrote:
Breaking news: Tom Brady is also better than Ben Roethlisberger. Jerry Rice is better than Antonio Brown. Your mom is a bigger slut than my mom.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Round the League (only stuff we give a shit about)
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm
Posts: 7291
Still Lit wrote:
No Swiss.

I don't see how you fail to grasp that I am not merely assuming things.

I am not merely positing conclusions and claiming they are true.

I provided premises to advance those conclusions.

YOU then claimed I was wrong.

I then asked you to explain why.

YOU then proceeded to supply much sound and fury, but no assessment of the premises.

The poster yonwhom you refer that I accused of begging a question assumed something without argument.

Big, big difference. If you are going to treat arguments as things no different than unjustified assumptions, we can't proceed.

Let's put down the insults and concentrate on the arguments instead, shall we.

Lot's of family obligations (happily) the next few days, as to be expected.

We'll sort all this out.

But. What I have voluntarily ceded as not wrong, but defeasible is the second argument. The first and third arguments I have more confidence in.

I will add; you still are not directly engaging the premises I use to secure my conclusions. To show why I am wrong about my conclusions, we have to show why the premises are unsound. Otherwise, what you suppose to undermine my conclusions may not be what those conclusions rest on. And hence I can claim my conclusions have not been refuted.

Lest you think I'm full of shit, it's no different in geometry. Take a gander at Euclid. It's all syllogisms just as I have given.


Except football is NOT geometry, and you're writing as though it is. Your off base on all three of your arguments:
*My argument, that quality of wins is not determined solely by the strength of the opposition, is every bit as valid as your position. Eye of the beholder, Lit. I've already given you one example, wins over the Patriots in '08 vs. '11. You and Jeems may think that the '11 win was a higher quality win. I don't.

*You seem to already be ceding this pleasure bullshit, so we'll leave that alone.

*Your final point, re: rooting for injuries being pussy fandom? Two things on that. I'll direct you once again to the Football Forum OP on that topic, where oh, upwards of 90% of the respondents are rooting for injury to Brady & Gronk. Guess we're all pussies? If we're NOT all pussies, in your opinion, how do you square that? And again...opting to face the Patriots at full strength rather than diminished strength as a Steeler fan, in a game that assumes a number of injuries, is simply fuckin' stupid. If the shoe fits, Lit....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Round the League (only stuff we give a shit about)
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:19 am
Posts: 9672
Oh no, I did not cede squat about the second argument. Guess you didn't look up what defeasible means.

Yes, you are all pussy fans. I gives no fucks about your poll. And...it's not like you framed the poll by means of my argument.

And wins against starter players are wins against better quality players. Follows the win is of higher quality.

You want the team to face an opposition as weakened as possible. Total pussy position.

_________________
TB wrote:
Breaking news: Tom Brady is also better than Ben Roethlisberger. Jerry Rice is better than Antonio Brown. Your mom is a bigger slut than my mom.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Round the League (only stuff we give a shit about)
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm
Posts: 7291
Still Lit wrote:
Oh no, I did not cede squat about the second argument. Guess you didn't look up what defeasible means.

Yes, you are all pussy fans. I gives no fucks about your poll. And...it's not like you framed the poll by means of my argument.

And wins against starter players are wins against better quality players. Follows the win is of higher quality.

You want the team to face an opposition as weakened as possible. Total pussy position.


Nope....didn't look up defeasible and still haven't.

Your argument's weaker and weaker, Lit. Face it.

I want my team to win....you're chasing some ultimate pleasure experience, whatever the fuck that is. I well remember your critique of Steelers play-calling....not because it wasn't smart, but because it was "boring as fuck." Go watch a fuckin' movie if you're just looking to be entertained. Grinch should be on tonight, or White Christmas....more your speed.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Round the League (only stuff we give a shit about)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:19 am
Posts: 9672
swissvale72 wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
Oh no, I did not cede squat about the second argument. Guess you didn't look up what defeasible means.

Yes, you are all pussy fans. I gives no fucks about your poll. And...it's not like you framed the poll by means of my argument.

And wins against starter players are wins against better quality players. Follows the win is of higher quality.

You want the team to face an opposition as weakened as possible. Total pussy position.


Nope....didn't look up defeasible and still haven't.

Your argument's weaker and weaker, Lit. Face it.

I want my team to win....you're chasing some ultimate pleasure experience, whatever the fuck that is. I well remember your critique of Steelers play-calling....not because it wasn't smart, but because it was "boring as fuck." Go watch a fuckin' movie if you're just looking to be entertained. Grinch should be on tonight, or White Christmas....more your speed.


I have not changed my arguments so they cannot have gotten weaker.

Made three arguments, only one of which concerns pleasure.

None of the things you wrote in the quoted have anything to do with assessing my arguments.

Man, Swiss, were you drunk when you posted this?

_________________
TB wrote:
Breaking news: Tom Brady is also better than Ben Roethlisberger. Jerry Rice is better than Antonio Brown. Your mom is a bigger slut than my mom.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group