It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Round the League (only stuff we give a shit about)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:09 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
Tundralag wrote:
My Take.. I don't give a fuck who plays what games.. as long as we hoist number 7 I gives a rats ass..

I think this is Swiss' positions as well. It does not, however, at all address whether my statements about quality and the relation of pleasure to quality are true or plausible.

Not caring does not affect quality of opponent and the necessarily related quality of the win.

Nor does not caring speak to or against the amount of pleasure produced relative to the quality of a win.

I think you are correct.. For sure I feel better and more proud to be a Steeler fan when we whip the snot out of a team we are suppose to lose or we are the underdog...
and the same goes for being pissed off for a week when we lose to some scrub team we should pound

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:29 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
Tundralag wrote:
My Take.. I don't give a fuck who plays what games.. as long as we hoist number 7 I gives a rats ass..

I think this is Swiss' positions as well. It does not, however, at all address whether my statements about quality and the relation of pleasure to quality are true or plausible.

Not caring does not affect quality of opponent and the necessarily related quality of the win.

Nor does not caring speak to or against the amount of pleasure produced relative to the quality of a win.

I haven’t read through the all comments, but I don’t think anyone, even Swiss, would disagree that a Steelers win vs the Pats this year would be 100% more satisfying than a win vs the Browns, this year. To say otherwise would be disingenuous.

Now, that same logic naturally applies to a win vs a full strength Pats squad vs a < 100% squad, which is to Lit’s point.

Yet, I get it if someone doesn’t really care how the Steelers arrive at #7.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:06 pm 

randomsteelerfan wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
Tundralag wrote:

I haven’t read through the all comments, but I don’t think anyone, even Swiss, would disagree that a Steelers win vs the Pats this year would be 100% more satisfying than a win vs the Browns, this year. To say otherwise would be disingenuous.

Now, that same logic naturally applies to a win vs a full strength Pats squad vs a < 100% squad, which is to Lit’s point.

Yet, I get it if someone doesn’t really care how the Steelers arrive at #7.

Not comparing win vs. Browns to win vs. Pats. Comparing win vs. Pats at full strenght to win vs. Pats if they have significant injuries. To me, doesn't matter how we win the same game, and if they're depleted by injury, gives us a better chance.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:30 am 

Point is, a win against a fully loaded Pats team is a higher quality win.

You not caring whether the win is higher quality or not does not affect my argument that your SBI injury stance advocates for lower quality wins.

That's the point about beating Pats more satisfying than beating Browns.

I repeat: it not mattering to you is not relevant to the argument.

I repeat: your SBI, as you present it, seeks the good in terms quantity rather than quality.

Like you say, all about fan perspective.

Me? I get pleasure from higher quality things more than from a higher quantity of lower quality things. If I had to choose between an unlimited supply of Bud Light, which is awful, and a single bottle of the world's finest Scotch, gonna go with the Scotch.

Rooting for injuries is vulgar not because of some pretentious high minded ideas about humans, but also because it advocates for lower quality pleasures.

YOU may be no less pleased by a win against an injury-filled Pats team. You might be the sort that would choose unlimited Bud Light, too. :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:54 am 

Still Lit wrote:
Point is, a win against a fully loaded Pats team is a higher quality win.

You not caring whether the win is higher quality or not does not affect my argument that your SBI injury stance advocates for lower quality wins.

That's the point about beating Pats more satisfying than beating Browns.

I repeat: it not mattering to you is not relevant to the argument.

I repeat: your SBI, as you present it, seeks the good in terms quantity rather than quality.

Like you say, all about fan perspective.

Me? I get pleasure from higher quality things more than from a higher quantity of lower quality things. If I had to choose between an unlimited supply of Bud Light, which is awful, and a single bottle of the world's finest Scotch, gonna go with the Scotch.

Rooting for injuries is vulgar not because of some pretentious high minded ideas about humans, but also because it advocates for lower quality pleasures.

YOU may be no less pleased by a win against an injury-filled Pats team. You might be the sort that would choose unlimited Bud Light, too. :D

You should really take a break from the mumbo-jumbo on weekends, Professor...save it for your students.

For the record, you won't find me touching Bud Light. And I know it has much to do with advertising, but I always find it striking when winning championship locker rooms are filled with shitty Bud Light rather than a decent beer.

It's like this. If you're crawling through the fuckin' desert, parched beyond belief, needing liquid in the worse way, little strength left in your body....and a savior appears. He offers you a Bud Light right now....or if you do three backflips, stand on your head, run three miles, you can have the finest scotch, what do you do? That's us in the playoffs versus the New England Patriots. I'll take the win, regardless of circumstance. We're so fuckin' starved for this that however it happens will be of sufficiently high quality.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:07 pm 

Of course one takes the win. That response shows you do not understand the argument.

This is about your rooting for injuries stance.

It's only mumbo jumbo if you can't understand the argument. Why are you having such trouble with it?

http://www.historyofethics.org/122007/1 ... oher.shtml

Pretty sure I take the Bud Light because it has more water in it and I do not want to die. And life is more pleasant than being dead. What a dumb fucking repsonse.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:13 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
Of course one takes the win. That response shows you do not understand the argument.

This is about your rooting for injuries stance.

It's only mumbo jumbo if you can't understand the argument. Why are you having such trouble with it?

http://www.historyofethics.org/122007/1 ... oher.shtml

Pretty sure I take the Bud Light because it has more water in it and I do not want to die. And life is more pleasant than being dead. What a dumb fucking repsonse.

And a win is more pleasant than a loss. I understand the argument perfectly.

It's this simple, Professor.

Steelers beat the Patriots in the playoffs, and I'll be over the fuckin' moon. If the Patriots have Brady, don't have Brady, have Gronk, don't have Gronk....won't matter. I won't enjoy the win at a higher level if their lineup is intact. The game starts and Brady goes down with an injury, I'll have the same response as when Carson Palmer went down in the '05 Wild Card game....pure joy....only escalated a few notches.

And inside, you'll be happy about it, too.....but wrestling with your own morality, imposing some type of bizarre penance on yourself, writing a self-loathing treatise about it, due to being pleased that it happened, even though you weren't "rooting" for it.....as though that somehow makes your position morally superior to mine. Bullshit!! Mine's just more honest.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8