It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Round the League (only stuff we give a shit about)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:24 pm 
Online

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm
Posts: 6148
I'm not concerned about the quality of the win. That's my dispute.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Round the League (only stuff we give a shit about)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:19 am
Posts: 8177
swissvale72 wrote:
I'm not concerned about the quality of the win. That's my dispute.


That's not a rebuttal: it's a preference.

I'll say it again: your SBI seeks a lower pleasure for the fan.

Show me why I'm wrong.

_________________
Frank Sinatra, Jr. 'Black Night'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdwl7X6Jruo


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Round the League (only stuff we give a shit about)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:29 pm 
Online

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm
Posts: 6148
Still Lit wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:
I'm not concerned about the quality of the win. That's my dispute.


That's not a rebuttal: it's a preference.

I'll say it again: your SBI seeks a lower pleasure for the fan.

Show me why I'm wrong.


Show me where you're right.

You're suggesting that you will enjoy a Steelers win against the Patriots MORE if Gronk plays than I will if he doesn't. Good luck proving that!!

Also....I'll buy that YOU would enjoy a win if Gronk is in more than YOU would enjoy the win if he is not. ME? I'll enjoy either scenario equally.

Gets back to my saying it depends upon the respective fan.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Round the League (only stuff we give a shit about)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:19 am
Posts: 8177
I actually gave TWO arguments.

One based in pleasure, one based on quality of win. So I did show you. Explain why I'm wrong, Swiss.

_________________
Frank Sinatra, Jr. 'Black Night'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdwl7X6Jruo


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Round the League (only stuff we give a shit about)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:22 am 
Online

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm
Posts: 6148
Still Lit wrote:
I actually gave TWO arguments.

One based in pleasure, one based on quality of win. So I did show you. Explain why I'm wrong, Swiss.


YOU need to explain why you're right, Lit. Any good philosopher knows that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Round the League (only stuff we give a shit about)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:19 am
Posts: 8177
swissvale72 wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
I actually gave TWO arguments.

One based in pleasure, one based on quality of win. So I did show you. Explain why I'm wrong, Swiss.


YOU need to explain why you're right, Lit. Any good philosopher knows that.


Quote:
An argument for consideration that (tries to) avoids appealing to subjectivity.

The win is of objectively higher quality if the competition is objectively better.

Hence, beating teams playing at full strength are more quality wins.

Perhaps you only care about quantity of wins rather than quality.

But I would argue in terms of pleasure as well. The higher the quality, the higher the pleasure in the win.

There is a reason why beating the Pats would feel better than beating the Browns.

So in terms of quality and pleasure, your version of SBI possibly seeks the lesser good except in terms of quantity.


Ask whatever you wish. I have given you an argument already.

_________________
Frank Sinatra, Jr. 'Black Night'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdwl7X6Jruo


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Round the League (only stuff we give a shit about)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 20496
swissvale72 wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:
I'm not concerned about the quality of the win. That's my dispute.


That's not a rebuttal: it's a preference.

I'll say it again: your SBI seeks a lower pleasure for the fan.

Show me why I'm wrong.


Show me where you're right.

You're suggesting that you will enjoy a Steelers win against the Patriots MORE if Gronk plays than I will if he doesn't. Good luck proving that!!

Also....I'll buy that YOU would enjoy a win if Gronk is in more than YOU would enjoy the win if he is not. ME? I'll enjoy either scenario equally.

Gets back to my saying it depends upon the respective fan.


I enjoyed the Steelers’ win in 2011 over the Pats far more than the win over the Pats in 2008, even though the win in 2008 was a romp and the win in 2011 was only by 7 points.

Because in 2011, they had the personnel and the smarts to match up against the Pats’ full arsenal, on both sides of the ball.

_________________
Bill Walsh: “Your ability to make good judgments is much easier on Thursday night than during the heat of the game."

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Round the League (only stuff we give a shit about)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:19 am
Posts: 8177
Jeemie wrote:
I enjoyed the Steelers’ win in 2011 over the Pats far more than the win over the Pats in 2008, even though the win in 2008 was a romp and the win in 2011 was only by 7 points.

Because in 2011, they had the personnel and the smarts to match up against the Pats’ full arsenal, on both sides of the ball.


Of course you did. Because it is obvious that wins against better talent are higher quality wins. So, naturally, you got more pleasure out of that win.

Which is why the injury position adopted by Swiss strikes me as deficient with regard to quality and pleasure. It's seems just about quantity of wins.

Now Swiss wants to argue that it is all about fan perspective. But at least in terms of the quality of the win, I think that it is objectively and not subjectively false.

Swiss mentioned "more fulfilling." Meh. Talking about quality of the win. But I do think my point about the correlation of pleasure to quality is valid.

_________________
Frank Sinatra, Jr. 'Black Night'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdwl7X6Jruo


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Round the League (only stuff we give a shit about)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:26 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:48 am
Posts: 250
Still Lit wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
I enjoyed the Steelers’ win in 2011 over the Pats far more than the win over the Pats in 2008, even though the win in 2008 was a romp and the win in 2011 was only by 7 points.

Because in 2011, they had the personnel and the smarts to match up against the Pats’ full arsenal, on both sides of the ball.


Of course you did. Because it is obvious that wins against better talent are higher quality wins. So, naturally, you got more pleasure out of that win.

Which is why the injury position adopted by Swiss strikes me as deficient with regard to quality and pleasure. It's seems just about quantity of wins.

Now Swiss wants to argue that it is all about fan perspective. But at least in terms of the quality of the win, I think that it is objectively and not subjectively false.

Swiss mentioned "more fulfilling." Meh. Talking about quality of the win. But I do think my point about the correlation of pleasure to quality is valid.



My Take.. I don't give a fuck who plays what games.. as long as we hoist number 7 I gives a rats ass..


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Round the League (only stuff we give a shit about)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:19 am
Posts: 8177
Tundralag wrote:
My Take.. I don't give a fuck who plays what games.. as long as we hoist number 7 I gives a rats ass..


I think this is Swiss' positions as well. It does not, however, at all address whether my statements about quality and the relation of pleasure to quality are true or plausible.

Not caring does not affect quality of opponent and the necessarily related quality of the win.

Nor does not caring speak to or against the amount of pleasure produced relative to the quality of a win.

_________________
Frank Sinatra, Jr. 'Black Night'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdwl7X6Jruo


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group