It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: GET OUT OF MY SPORTS!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:34 am
Posts: 5555
A couple things. I think I already said this earlier, but unless they took an actual flag, cut it up and made it into bikinis, then there is nothing there against the flag code.

-the spending shows that the healthcare system is broken and throwing more money at it likely won't make it better.

-I have no problems with doctors making the money they do. Med school is outrageously expensive. it takes a decade or more of schooling before they can start making real money. If you wanna talk about doctor shortages, start paying them a lot less and see who signs up for all that.....

somethings gotta give. either cheaper med school, faster tracks, etc. if you wanna get cost down on MD's

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GET OUT OF MY SPORTS!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:57 pm
Posts: 3181
My understand is the malpractice insurance is helping to driving up the price of care. Yes medical school is expensive and people come out of it with $100K+ in debt. But doctors are stopping practice because of the cost of the insurance. Now is that mean there needs to be tort reform? Putting a ceiling on how much a mistake is worth?

There is no silver bullet for the health care system. Tossing an unfunded mandate to the States will not work. Perhaps they need a system like Oregon had/has where they list procedures that they will pay for.

_________________
To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
- Henri Poincaré


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GET OUT OF MY SPORTS!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:19 am
Posts: 9997
R S wrote:
A couple things. I think I already said this earlier, but unless they took an actual flag, cut it up and made it into bikinis, then there is nothing there against the flag code.

-the spending shows that the healthcare system is broken and throwing more money at it likely won't make it better.

-I have no problems with doctors making the money they do. Med school is outrageously expensive. it takes a decade or more of schooling before they can start making real money. If you wanna talk about doctor shortages, start paying them a lot less and see who signs up for all that.....

somethings gotta give. either cheaper med school, faster tracks, etc. if you wanna get cost down on MD's


Liberal Arts PhDs (physics, math, philosophy, history) piss away 10 years of prime earning power to get a PhD and get paid peanuts. Boo fucking hoo. The problem is medical schools price gouging their students. Law and Medicine: degrees granted by universities and yet totally unfunded for the students unlike all the other PhD programs. It's a fucking racket! Tuition sky high for undergrads and yet none of it apparently funds medical school costs. Meanwhile sports programs pull in obscene amounts of money.

Now surely I have no idea what I'm talking about. This is a totally unresearched post on my part. I fully admit it.

_________________
Orangesteel wrote:
We could have ended the game there and Tomlin’s band of assholes let them back in.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GET OUT OF MY SPORTS!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:34 am
Posts: 5555
Still Lit wrote:
R S wrote:
A couple things. I think I already said this earlier, but unless they took an actual flag, cut it up and made it into bikinis, then there is nothing there against the flag code.

-the spending shows that the healthcare system is broken and throwing more money at it likely won't make it better.

-I have no problems with doctors making the money they do. Med school is outrageously expensive. it takes a decade or more of schooling before they can start making real money. If you wanna talk about doctor shortages, start paying them a lot less and see who signs up for all that.....

somethings gotta give. either cheaper med school, faster tracks, etc. if you wanna get cost down on MD's


Liberal Arts PhDs (physics, math, philosophy, history) piss away 10 years of prime earning power to get a PhD and get paid peanuts. Boo fucking hoo. The problem is medical schools price gouging their students. Law and Medicine: degrees granted by universities and yet totally unfunded for the students unlike all the other PhD programs. It's a fucking racket! Tuition sky high for undergrads and yet none of it apparently funds medical school costs. Meanwhile sports programs pull in obscene amounts of money.

Now surely I have no idea what I'm talking about. This is a totally unresearched post on my part. I fully admit it.


Can't you work a decent job while pursuing a PhD? Even have your schooling paid for by said employee? Does it really take 10 years of schooling for a PhD?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GET OUT OF MY SPORTS!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:19 am
Posts: 9997
10 years is an exaggeration.

7 to 8 years is not.

You cannot work a decent job unless you want things to take even longer. Generally, liberal arts PhD candidates are funded by the uni.

After course work and comprehensive exams, you have to write a 250 page monograph that no one outside your diss committee will ever read. Said monograph takes quite a while to complete bc having never done it before, one has no idea what one is doing.

All in all, it's an impressively dumb thing to do.

_________________
Orangesteel wrote:
We could have ended the game there and Tomlin’s band of assholes let them back in.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GET OUT OF MY SPORTS!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 11752
Still Lit wrote:
10 years is an exaggeration.

7 to 8 years is not.


He probably didn't realize you were including undergrad in that. But 2 years of graduate coursework and another 1-2 for the dissertation, sure. Isn't it also fairly common to add another 1-2 years as a TA, with a small stipend, to get some teaching experience and a bit longer for the dissertation?


I think a lot of doctors (MD variety) complain because after 8 years of school, very expensive school, they have another 4-5 years of residency (sometimes more) where they are barely making enough to live on after loan payments....then another rude awakening with malpractice insurance....and then, just like many MBA's, they find they might be doing pretty well but another rude awakening learning mostly only the top in the their field make the big money. You're average GP/family doc/pediatrician might make around $160k...which is good pay, but when you consider the extra debt, insurance, and lean earning years many of them probably would have done better in business.

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GET OUT OF MY SPORTS!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:48 am
Posts: 355
Kodiak wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
10 years is an exaggeration.

7 to 8 years is not.


He probably didn't realize you were including undergrad in that. But 2 years of graduate coursework and another 1-2 for the dissertation, sure. Isn't it also fairly common to add another 1-2 years as a TA, with a small stipend, to get some teaching experience and a bit longer for the dissertation?


I think a lot of doctors (MD variety) complain because after 8 years of school, very expensive school, they have another 4-5 years of residency (sometimes more) where they are barely making enough to live on after loan payments....then another rude awakening with malpractice insurance....and then, just like many MBA's, they find they might be doing pretty well but another rude awakening learning mostly only the top in the their field make the big money. You're average GP/family doc/pediatrician might make around $160k...which is good pay, but when you consider the extra debt, insurance, and lean earning years many of them probably would have done better in business.



sad but true ^^^ everyone thinks going to college is the sure fire way to make it.. Maybe back in the day..
Today.. Give me a good 2 year Cisco/ Cyber security associates degree and let me hit the big contractors.. see who comes out on top in 5 years..want to make even more... have about 10/20 years of military experience on top of that.. you will be cooking with mogas.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GET OUT OF MY SPORTS!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:19 am
Posts: 9997
Kodiak wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
10 years is an exaggeration.

7 to 8 years is not.


He probably didn't realize you were including undergrad in that. But 2 years of graduate coursework and another 1-2 for the dissertation, sure. Isn't it also fairly common to add another 1-2 years as a TA, with a small stipend, to get some teaching experience and a bit longer for the dissertation?


I think a lot of doctors (MD variety) complain because after 8 years of school, very expensive school, they have another 4-5 years of residency (sometimes more) where they are barely making enough to live on after loan payments....then another rude awakening with malpractice insurance....and then, just like many MBA's, they find they might be doing pretty well but another rude awakening learning mostly only the top in the their field make the big money. You're average GP/family doc/pediatrician might make around $160k...which is good pay, but when you consider the extra debt, insurance, and lean earning years many of them probably would have done better in business.


Kodiak, baby, I am not including undergrad. Some people are on fire and finish coursework in two years, pass comprehensive exams by end of year three, and bang out a dissertation by the end of year five. But a lot take 7 years, sometimes 8. And not because they are lazy. It all depends. How much are you going to conferences? Are you trying to get published prior to defending?

One year for the dissertation?!? I don't think so.

TAing is different in different departments. Some research programs do not even have their grads TA.

It is really easy for someone to go in their mid 20s and come out early 30s. Prime earning years.

But the point is, the good programs fund their students and do not charge tuition. Why do medical schools have to charge tuition? Why isn't the undergaduate tuition funding med students or law students like EVERY other program?

_________________
Orangesteel wrote:
We could have ended the game there and Tomlin’s band of assholes let them back in.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GET OUT OF MY SPORTS!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:34 am
Posts: 5555
Good point Lit, and a good question. Could it be because many of the PhD students end up professors and it's a way to keep a good influx of talent to go around? I mean, what do you so with a PhD in philosophy other than teach philosophy? Could be way off on that guess.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GET OUT OF MY SPORTS!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:19 am
Posts: 9997
R S wrote:
Good point Lit, and a good question. Could it be because many of the PhD students end up professors and it's a way to keep a good influx of talent to go around? I mean, what do you so with a PhD in philosophy other than teach philosophy? Could be way off on that guess.


Problem is there are too many PhDs and not enough professorships to accommodate them.

What else do you do? You help invent the Terminator.

https://philjobs.org/job/show/8710

_________________
Orangesteel wrote:
We could have ended the game there and Tomlin’s band of assholes let them back in.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GET OUT OF MY SPORTS!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:34 am
Posts: 5555
Still Lit wrote:
R S wrote:
Good point Lit, and a good question. Could it be because many of the PhD students end up professors and it's a way to keep a good influx of talent to go around? I mean, what do you so with a PhD in philosophy other than teach philosophy? Could be way off on that guess.


Problem is there are too many PhDs and not enough professorships to accommodate them.

What else do you do? You help invent the Terminator.

https://philjobs.org/job/show/8710


Have you put your application in for that one?

Also, I bet if they start charging them medical school type tuitions the overabundance problem of PhD's would solve itself.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GET OUT OF MY SPORTS!!!!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:57 pm
Posts: 3181
Medical school and Law school charge the tuition they do because they can. An Art History PhD will never make enough, in their lifetime, as a decent doctor or lawyer in a single year. STEM PhDs are making a lot of money now. I expect their tuition to go up soon if they haven't already.

_________________
To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
- Henri Poincaré


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GET OUT OF MY SPORTS!!!!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:19 am
Posts: 9997
R S wrote:
Have you put your application in for that one?

Also, I bet if they start charging them medical school type tuitions the overabundance problem of PhD's would solve itself.


Or departments could just admit less PhD students.

I have not yet sent my CV to Cyberdyne Systems, no.

jebrick wrote:
Medical school and Law school charge the tuition they do because they can. An Art History PhD will never make enough, in their lifetime, as a decent doctor or lawyer in a single year. STEM PhDs are making a lot of money now. I expect their tuition to go up soon if they haven't already.


But consider:

https://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2009 ... make/?_r=0

Practitioners in other first world nations make less, which also reduces healthcare costs. And, of course:

Quote:
But it’s important to keep in mind, the report notes, that health care professionals in other O.E.C.D. countries pay much less (if anything) for their medical educations than do their American counterparts. In other words, doctors and nurses in the rest of the industrialized world start their medical careers with much less student loan debt compared to medical graduates in the United States.


If we want to bring down costs by paying doctors less, why not waive tuition?

Tuition for a PhD in physics or chemistry might soon go up, but the accepted PhD candidate in a good to top physics program is not going to be asked to pay for any of it. Tuition will be waived and stipend supplied. None of the PhD candidates in the Mathematics Dept at Carnegie Mellon are paying for any of it.

STEM tuition and Medical tuition must cost more because the resources needed for training are expensive. But a law degree? WTF. It needs no more resources than the Art Historian program.

"Because they can" means "because capitalism." I get that.

_________________
Orangesteel wrote:
We could have ended the game there and Tomlin’s band of assholes let them back in.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GET OUT OF MY SPORTS!!!!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:08 pm
Posts: 6628
Still Lit wrote:
"Because they can" means "because capitalism." I get that.
Whenever problems arise, with anything, capitalism is the last place anybody looks. If at all.

_________________
"I wish Fraudlin would get testicular cancer and die after he watches me anally penetrate his wife."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GET OUT OF MY SPORTS!!!!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:34 am
Posts: 5555
COR-TEN wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
"Because they can" means "because capitalism." I get that.
Whenever problems arise, with anything, capitalism is the last place anybody looks. If at all.


med, law and undergrad tuitions are all ridiculous because no matter the price, the fed govt will guarantee student loans to anyone. Not what I'd call pure capitalism.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GET OUT OF MY SPORTS!!!!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:19 am
Posts: 9997
R S wrote:
COR-TEN wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
"Because they can" means "because capitalism." I get that.
Whenever problems arise, with anything, capitalism is the last place anybody looks. If at all.


med, law and undergrad tuitions are all ridiculous because no matter the price, the fed govt will guarantee student loans to anyone. Not what I'd call pure capitalism.


But charging what the market will allow is. Which is what med schools are doing. And tuitions have risen not only bc of federal loan guarantees. There are many reasons, some of which include on campus lazy rivers and administrative bloat that rivals the IRS.

_________________
Orangesteel wrote:
We could have ended the game there and Tomlin’s band of assholes let them back in.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GET OUT OF MY SPORTS!!!!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:34 am
Posts: 5555
Still Lit wrote:
But charging what the market will allow is. Which is what med schools are doing. And tuitions have risen not only bc of federal loan guarantees. There are many reasons, some of which include on campus lazy rivers and administrative bloat that rivals the IRS.


But the market would never allow those kind of tuition increases without the govt loans. Take that away and you have a shit ton of empty dorm rooms nationwide. The market is completely artificial.

Lazy rivers, climbing walls and bloated administrations would never have been an option without the loan money pouring in and creating the ridiculous cycle that is now higher education in America. The easiest no brainer vote for any University board/administration has got to be to raising tuition. No brainer since such a small % of students don't use loans.

I think everyone agrees that its getting to the tipping point when the loan bubble will burst. it can't go on forever, right?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GET OUT OF MY SPORTS!!!!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:57 pm
Posts: 3181
R S wrote:

But the market would never allow those kind of tuition increases without the govt loans. Take that away and you have a shit ton of empty dorm rooms nationwide. The market is completely artificial.

Lazy rivers, climbing walls and bloated administrations would never have been an option without the loan money pouring in and creating the ridiculous cycle that is now higher education in America. The easiest no brainer vote for any University board/administration has got to be to raising tuition. No brainer since such a small % of students don't use loans.

I think everyone agrees that its getting to the tipping point when the loan bubble will burst. it can't go on forever, right?


I think you are wrong about the bolded part. My sister went through law school in the late 80's, well before the guarantees, She graduated with over $100K in debt. She also married a litigator so they paid off their student loans in about a year.

Point is, the cost for the law degrees has been high for a while. I do not argue that the guarantees have not driven up all aspects of college tuition but some of them have been high because the perceived benefit to the student and the university have also been high.

_________________
To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
- Henri Poincaré


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GET OUT OF MY SPORTS!!!!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:34 am
Posts: 5555
jebrick wrote:
R S wrote:

But the market would never allow those kind of tuition increases without the govt loans. Take that away and you have a shit ton of empty dorm rooms nationwide. The market is completely artificial.

Lazy rivers, climbing walls and bloated administrations would never have been an option without the loan money pouring in and creating the ridiculous cycle that is now higher education in America. The easiest no brainer vote for any University board/administration has got to be to raising tuition. No brainer since such a small % of students don't use loans.

I think everyone agrees that its getting to the tipping point when the loan bubble will burst. it can't go on forever, right?


I think you are wrong about the bolded part. My sister went through law school in the late 80's, well before the guarantees, She graduated with over $100K in debt. She also married a litigator so they paid off their student loans in about a year.

Point is, the cost for the law degrees has been high for a while. I do not argue that the guarantees have not driven up all aspects of college tuition but some of them have been high because the perceived benefit to the student and the university have also been high.


https://www.aamc.org/download/296002/da ... 12_no2.pdf

look at table 2 1998 to 2008 and the tuition increase in med schools. 81.57% increase.

lets say your sister, from 1988 to 2011 319% increase!

just a tad more than inflation.

Now I think they hit the breaking point and increases have slowed down. But those massive increases seem to have coincided with the age of govt loans.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GET OUT OF MY SPORTS!!!!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:12 pm
Posts: 4201
COR-TEN wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
"Because they can" means "because capitalism." I get that.
Whenever problems arise, with anything, capitalism is the last place anybody looks. If at all.


And yet the first place you look.

I’ve often wondered what socialists utopia you hale from as well as how you earn a living. Being you are such a staunch hater of capitalism. Almost bitterly so. Or least that is the impression you leave.

“From each according to ability, to each according to need” sounds good on paper, doesn’t quite work in real life.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GET OUT OF MY SPORTS!!!!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:57 pm
Posts: 3181
R S wrote:
[
https://www.aamc.org/download/296002/da ... 12_no2.pdf

look at table 2 1998 to 2008 and the tuition increase in med schools. 81.57% increase.

lets say your sister, from 1988 to 2011 319% increase!

just a tad more than inflation.

Now I think they hit the breaking point and increases have slowed down. But those massive increases seem to have coincided with the age of govt loans.


Medical is different than law degrees and how you get them.
http://www.lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com/201 ... ily-income

It has not risen nearly as much but also is quite different than a medical doctor. If it were all based on the student loans you would expect all would rise at the same amount but they do not. From your link I see that 72% of medical students left school with debt in 1972 and 86% in 2011. So a high amount of debt has always been associated with the schooling ( that takes 7-10 years to complete based on the specialty).

https://www.iii.org/issue-update/medical-malpractice

Quote:
Costs to the Public: According to a 2011 report by Towers Watson, since 1975, when medical malpractice insurance data were first separated out from other types of liability, medical malpractice cost increases have outpaced other tort areas, rising at an average of 10.0 percent a year, compared with 7.5 percent for all other tort costs. However, growth in medical malpractice costs since 2005 have averaged less than 0.5 percent annually. Regardless of whether a case is won or lost, going to court is expensive.


That the schools and hospitals have to pay for the insurance for interns has a reason for driving up the costs.

_________________
To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
- Henri Poincaré


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GET OUT OF MY SPORTS!!!!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:50 pm
Posts: 4527
KC wrote:
franco32 wrote:
It's all such a stupid waste of time....a bunch of sound and fury signifying nothing. I just wish they actually could articulate what they were kneeling for. No one really can explain it with any cohesion, and they certainly can't articulate what any of this has to do with the anthem or flag. It's all such nebulous BS meant to score social media points and flame the hysteria.

The kneeling is so dumb to begin with. Kneeling is an act of complete subjugation. So, they are subjugating themselves to "America"?

Image


The flag represents the country.

People of color don't believe they are full partners in this country.

They believe they're being targeted unfairly by law enforcement because of the color of their skin.

The kneeling is bringing a shitload of attention to their cause.

Whether you or I like it or not.

I can’t wait until every cop in this country has a camera on their hat and then we will truly see how many “people of color” are being targeted by law enforcement.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GET OUT OF MY SPORTS!!!!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 11752
Still Lit wrote:
Kodiak, baby, I am not including undergrad. Some people are on fire and finish coursework in two years, pass comprehensive exams by end of year three, and bang out a dissertation by the end of year five. But a lot take 7 years, sometimes 8.


That's crazy. Chicago's finance PhD - arguably THE top program for finance - takes an average of 6 years. Maybe because those are the best of the best (they only admit a handful each year, and graduate about 2....most already have a PhD in Math or Physics). The ones who don't make it in finance usually have to settle for a PhD in economics. :D


But, yeah, Chicago pays a stipend for their Econ/Finance PhD's, and no tuition. I think some who might not get in initially end-up transferring out of the MBA program.

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GET OUT OF MY SPORTS!!!!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 11752
Still Lit wrote:
But charging what the market will allow is. Which is what med schools are doing. And tuitions have risen not only bc of federal loan guarantees. There are many reasons, some of which include on campus lazy rivers and administrative bloat that rivals the IRS.


I don't think the cost is really the factor. A doctor who will make $160k a year really doesn't have a problem servicing and paying down $300k in school costs. A lot of that is pyschological - doctors look at Wall Street types and lawyers at big firms making more money, and making more money sooner, and feel underpaid because they're just as smart.

Law school is a different story. There are WAY too many lawyers out there - people drop out of the workforce for 3 years, take on $200k in debt and then can't even find a job in their field. Same thing with the MBA, but you're only out for 2 years and many more people are doing it in night or weekend programs and not leaving their job.

Top people in medical/law/business have no problems with the debt, because they earn multiples of that. It's the mediocre students who load-up on debt because they think a piece of paper is the ticket to riches....cost of admission, maybe, but no guarantee of success. School cost more in the US, but the degree is also more valuable. $300k in loans is a lot of money, maybe $40k a year for 15 years, but that explains only a fraction of the 2-3X gap in salaries of US doctors vs. Europe.

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GET OUT OF MY SPORTS!!!!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:19 am
Posts: 9997
Kodiak wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
Kodiak, baby, I am not including undergrad. Some people are on fire and finish coursework in two years, pass comprehensive exams by end of year three, and bang out a dissertation by the end of year five. But a lot take 7 years, sometimes 8.


That's crazy. Chicago's finance PhD - arguably THE top program for finance - takes an average of 6 years. Maybe because those are the best of the best (they only admit a handful each year, and graduate about 2....most already have a PhD in Math or Physics). The ones who don't make it in finance usually have to settle for a PhD in economics. :D


But, yeah, Chicago pays a stipend for their Econ/Finance PhD's, and no tuition. I think some who might not get in initially end-up transferring out of the MBA program.


And then consider that if you're teaching on top of it or, say, if you got a visiting prof position (full-time, non-tenure) as ABD (all-but-diss), now your research time has to be split with class prep, grading for 120 students without help, etc. And suppose on top of that you have children, which take up an unbelievable amount of time when they are very young. All sorts of reasons can push you past the 6 year mark and into 7 and 8.

_________________
Orangesteel wrote:
We could have ended the game there and Tomlin’s band of assholes let them back in.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group