It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: Slightly OT: Timmons
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:55 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
SteelKnife wrote:
I’m very anxious for it to be possible to diagnose CTE in the living (I know the NFL fears that more than anything), because I want to see studies of pop warner and HS players. I have to imagine PED use is lower there so I’m curious to see CTE rates.

I think as soon as CTE becomes diagnosable in the living, the NFL is done for (probably from the ground up, as parents stop letting their kids play youth tackle football).

There are still boxers and race car drivers and daredevils and test pilots.

There are. I’m not saying no one will play football. What I meant is that the quality of play is going to decline greatly, and I think people will begin to turn their attention elsewhere as more and more top athletes gravitate elsewhere. If the NFL drops to the level of boxing and racing, that would be a huge fall for the NFL.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:04 pm 

SteelKnife wrote:
I’m very anxious for it to be possible to diagnose CTE in the living (I know the NFL fears that more than anything), because I want to see studies of pop warner and HS players. I have to imagine PED use is lower there so I’m curious to see CTE rates..

But assuming it's a long-term, cumulative thing, that's not really a controlled test group. If football ruins a guy's brain, do you think he's going to be entirely forthcoming about his potentially contributory PED use and lifestyle choices, or do you think he's going to want to put all the blame on football?

What makes this so difficult is a lot of this is self-fulfilling in they're generally only getting volunteers with suspected issues, and generally only from the NFL. A couple hundred cases out of 30k+ former players might not be statistically significant vs. the general population given the inherit selection bias, especially when you control for other factors.

I believe the NFL has a problem and the issue is real. I'm just not sure football itself is the determinant or causal factor.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:07 pm 

SteelKnife wrote:
What I meant is that the quality of play is going to decline greatly

You may not have as many freakish athletes, but less athletic players can still play the game as well and fundamentally sound. And lesser athletes are going to look more athletic going against similar lesser athletes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:14 pm 
Kodiak wrote:
SteelKnife wrote:
What I meant is that the quality of play is going to decline greatly

You may not have as many freakish athletes, but less athletic players can still play the game as well and fundamentally sound. And lesser athletes are going to look more athletic going against similar lesser athletes.

I doubt it. NFL talent im guessing is 90% black players who are coming from mostly huge economic disparity. I think its seen as a way out largely

Wealthy people arent going to stop using poor people to do the dirty work anytime soon.

Poor people arent going to stop jumping at a chance to escape poverty.. The nfl will be just fine that regard.

Suburban school age football will take a severe hit probably.

Really wont change the nfl much

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:13 pm 

The talent level and participation are interesting angles. But come on the main thing here (for the NFL) is viewership.

NFLs conduct policy and pink month are testaments that public opinion is very important. The real story is advertising (and merchandising).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:57 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
SteelKnife wrote:
I’m very anxious for it to be possible to diagnose CTE in the living (I know the NFL fears that more than anything), because I want to see studies of pop warner and HS players. I have to imagine PED use is lower there so I’m curious to see CTE rates..

But assuming it's a long-term, cumulative thing, that's not really a controlled test group. If football ruins a guy's brain, do you think he's going to be entirely forthcoming about his potentially contributory PED use and lifestyle choices, or do you think he's going to want to put all the blame on football?

What makes this so difficult is a lot of this is self-fulfilling in they're generally only getting volunteers with suspected issues, and generally only from the NFL. A couple hundred cases out of 30k+ former players might not be statistically significant vs. the general population given the inherit selection bias, especially when you control for other factors.

I believe the NFL has a problem and the issue is real. I'm just not sure football itself is the determinant or causal factor.

bingo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:44 pm 

I would like to see some studies on long term impact of heavy PED use

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:20 pm 

Dolphins ILB Maualuga is Out and they are could have used Timmons this week but they suspended him indefinitely. I would just play him if he wants to play and defer the suspension until it's hashed out.

But let's be Honest. This is about Money now. The Dolphins will do everything they can to Not pay Timmons his guaranteed money.

I pretty much assume that all football players at all levels have some CTE. Probably most adults who played any sport. How many times did we have our bell rung on the playground. CTE might be common with a range from no symptoms to heavy symptoms.

The latest word is Timmons was depressed and wanted to see his newborn baby. But he's feeling better now.
https://chopchat.com/2017/09/22/fsu-alu ... -nfl-game/

Last edited by Stallworth16 on Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:51 pm 

Quote:
Wealthy people arent going to stop using poor people to do the dirty work anytime soon.

Is that you Rashaard?

It's quite a stretch to equate playing in the NFL to doing the "dirty work".

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:09 pm 

Gonzo wrote:
I would like to see some studies on long term impact of heavy PED use

Wwe would be a good place to start

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10