It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AFCN round up
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:28 am 

I'll try to do this every week. Last night I sat through the painful Bengals v Ravens.

Ravens D is for real though they did benefit from Dalton playing as poor a game as I've seen from him in a while.

Suggs, Brandon Williams and Moseley had great games. Williams and Suggs trashed the Bengals oline repeatedly. That LT Bengals drafted a few years back is putrid. Despite that Bengals moved the ball at times and if not for the woeful Dalton could've won this game. He missed AJ Green wide open deep at least twice and missed multiple other opportunities to other receivers. Yes Ravens D was good but much like Steelers yesterday they were somewhat flattered by an opposing QB that did his best to help them out. 2 of his Ints came from throws with zero pressure into triple coverage, one when Bengals were only trailing 3-0 inside red zone (inside ten yard line). Other 2 came from deflected passes that fell right into Ravens DBs laps. This was a tough game to truly evaluate well. I'm betting Ravens D will get all sorts of praise but Dalton sure helped them.

On Offense the Ravens were decent in run game. Better than I expected. In passing game they flat out stunk. Flacco's TD came from a ten yard slant to Maclin were Bengals players ran into each other and paved way for easy sprint to end zone. Ravens OTs struggled. Especially Stanley who didn't look healthy at all. Lawson when he was given snaps (not enough) made him look bad. Bengals D handled Ravens fairly easily for most part outside of big play to Maclin and 2nd TD was set up by deflected Int from Dalton that put Rats at 2 yard line. Outside of that Ravens didn't do much to suggest their Offense will be very good. Perriman was a milk carton and Wallace wasn't much better. Stop the run on Ravens and force Flacco to do something looks to be a very good approach.

Rookies:

Rats:

Humphrey looked ok but again struggled when asked to turn and run with someone. If he doesn't get that fixed teams will attack him and they should.

Bowser looked poor. He was swallowed by OTs which is a bit glaring as every other Raven seemed to be abusing them. He will improve but expected a bit more from what I saw in pre season. He only played 25 or so snaps but he may be needed sooner rather than later as Z.Smith got hurt.

Wormley was active but didn't play.

Tim Williams was but didn't play.

Bengals:

John Ross has injury issues. I suspect he will his entire career.

William Jackson: counting a rookie because he missed entire rook year. Jackson didn't impress in coverage. Looked lost at times and a work in progress.

Joe Mixon: he flashed a little bit but missed some holes and wasn't near as impressive as other rookie RBs. I was disappointed.

Jordan Willis: one of few Bengals to do poorly in pass rush. He was ok in run D but looked super stiff and reliant on power for pass rush.

Carl Lawson: stand out rookie. He gave Stanley fits and for folks that want to rail on our coaches here is a prime example of why Tomlin is better than Lewis. Lawson should've seen a ton more snaps than he did. He only had 20 or so but every time he rushed he looked like he was going to cause havoc.

Take aways from game:

Ravens D is good but still super reliant on Suggs. That will be ok for a while but as season goes on he will wear down as he did previous 2 seasons. Williams and Pierce maybe best interior run D dlineman around. I will withhold judgment until they face a better oline.

Ravens offense was a bit better in run game but their passing attack looks woeful. Could be due to Flacco first game in a while a good game v Browns might be tonic needed. Oline was ok run blocking and poor in pass pro.

Bengals D: overall solid and unfortunate to be put in some untenable positions by Dalton. Keystone Kopped Maclin's TD. Lawson will be starter soon he should've been to open game.

Bengals O: oline is a mess. Not one of them had a decent game. Interior was horrifically bad with exception of Center who was ok at best. OTs ugly. Really ugly. Then of course Dalton. Missed wide open receivers, throw horrendous picks and looked like a rookie with happy feet. Yes his oline didn't help but none of the turnovers happened under duress and even when he had time couldn't hit broadside of a barn. I predict we see McCarron start soon.

Post subject: Re: AFCN round up
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:00 am 

A big knock on Dalton has always been that he sucks when pressured. His entire career has been spent behind an elite o-line, and now he has that pile of crap in front of him. He's screwed.

Raven's O wasn't really tested thanks to 5 Bungle turnovers.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:30 pm 

What are the odds we try and turn the week five matchup at Baltimore into an attrition battle where we try to "limit mistakes"?

I've currently got those odds at 8 chances in ten we trot out a conservative game plan that will play right into Baltimore's strengths.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:12 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
What are the odds we try and turn the week five matchup at Baltimore into an attrition battle where we try to "limit mistakes"?

I've currently got those odds at 8 chances in ten we trot out a conservative game plan that will play right into Baltimore's strengths.

Odds??? Oh, I don't know...what kind of odds does one put on an absolute certainty?!?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:46 pm 

Woodhead out for 8 weeks and looks likely IR. Flacco loses his dump off buddy. Ouch.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:54 am 

steelclan wrote:
Woodhead out for 8 weeks and looks likely IR. Flacco loses his dump off buddy. Ouch.

It's a loss for them, but whether we win or lose depends on OUR approach.

Baltimore has already proved they can beat us with scrubes.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:32 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
steelclan wrote:

It's a loss for them, but whether we win or lose depends on OUR approach.

Baltimore has already proved they can beat us with scrubes.

True but no Pita and no Woodhead will force Flacco to hold that ball longer and that is a good thing. It also greatly reduces coverage burden on LBers.

The issue of course will be on offense. It is pretty much same D Rats had last season with 3 changes: Jefferson and Carr with Correa replacing Orr. So two upgrades (though Carr looked awful Sunday), Jefferson is very good and Correa has flat out stunk. I believe they're starting him because they have fuck all else behind him.

If Steelers play way they did in 4th quarter of game II they will give Ravens fits. Pierce/Williams are great inside in a phone booth but force them to move and they wear down and you get Williams gasping for breath on bench and Pierce in close stumbling pursuit.

If they play typical close to vest BS it will be a slug fest and likely Rats will find a way to win.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:04 pm 

Jeemie wrote:

You could write the prediction in a granite tablet. We've done something different twice in the 22 games since Tomlin has been the HC, and one of those was with a QB not named Ben Roethlisberger at the helm.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:35 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
You could write the prediction in a granite tablet. We've done something different twice in the 22 games since Tomlin has been the HC, and one of those was with a QB not named Ben Roethlisberger at the helm.

This is the problem with Tomlin. He was hired to grow into the job, and he never has. Doing the same things and playing teams the same way he was 10 years ago. He hasn't learned a damn thing, and no longer has Lebeau, Arians or all those Cowher vets to cover him up.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:43 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

I sense some frustration with Tomlin finally surfacing. The sign of the apocalypse?