It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Las Vegas Raiders
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:00 pm 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
Subtract Silicon Valley megawealth and all that factitious "growth" goes away. That's all the result of money printing by the Fed. On the other hand, with 12 percent of the population, 33 percent of America's families getting TANF assistance live here. Oakland is the fifth most dangerous city in America, despite having pretty much all the perfect conditions that exist in Sydney.

But it's interesting to note that a good lefty like Cor-Ten loves Cali, home of the country's greatest inequality and unaffordable housing. And Obama under whom the SV billionaires made that money for 50K Warriors playoff seats while the middle class stagnated.

It's not just the politics. Even moderate places like Orange County and San Diego County are just too fucking crowded and dirty. For all the bullshit about sustainability, Californians don't seem to be all that into making it happen.

The prettiest and most "sustainable" part of the state, with low crime is actually the northern third, where few people choose to live or visit. When California leaves, I'd like to keep the State of Jefferson.

Ironically, the mid-South such as Tennessee has a lot more of what Californians say the care about when they're trying to impress people.

Well, except weed.

Nashville is 4th hotest RE market in the US, Knoxville & Chattanooga are almost as hot. United Van Lines moves 50 LI NY families to middle TN per month. Those that can are fleeing the shitholes. Voluntary resettlement. Irony is many helped create the soon to be 3rd world dump they're leaving. Trick for the cranes in the sky towns is not to let them metastasize their culture.

Positioning for the inevitable, buying tobacco warehouses and farms.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:30 pm 

Old School Steeler wrote:
Nashville is 4th hotest RE market in the US, Knoxville & Chattanooga are almost as hot.

Wow. TN is beautiful. I wouldn't mind living in Nashville, at all. Really a very underrated state (well, at least it used to be).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:55 am 

Pittsburgh is a Democratic city. Did it get revitalized during state Democratic control? Isn't all this shit regional and local? Aren't the claims being made too general?

And Pittsburgh, hands down, is one of the coolest, best cities in the country. I miss it very, very much. The East End is not even recognizable to me now.

Anyone have any updates on the gentrification of Garfield now that East Liberty is such a hot spot?

Agree, TN is gorgeous. I hope Nashville does not turn into Austin. Super overrated city from my half decade there.

I have my eyes on the middle of nowheresville Montana.

People move to places for all kinds of reasons.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:48 am 

Kodiak wrote:
Nashville is 4th hotest RE market in the US, Knoxville & Chattanooga are almost as hot.

Wow. TN is beautiful. I wouldn't mind living in Nashville, at all. Really a very underrated state (well, at least it used to be).

I've had a couple of clients now over the past couple of years retire and move from CA to TN.

Your $$$$ go so much further with that swap. I am going to seriously look to get out of this state when I retire as well.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:54 pm 

955876 wrote:
Kodiak wrote:

I've had a couple of clients now over the past couple of years retire and move from CA to TN.

Your $$$$ go so much further with that swap. I am going to seriously look to get out of this state when I retire as well.

Great point worth looking into. My parents just retired and are considering the PA to FL or NC move.

As for myself: I ask WTF was I thinking to myself all the time on why I moved to NY for work. Taxes, costs etc here are fucking ridiculous. I can imagine CA is probably even worse. I certainly will not be in NY for the rest of my life and certainly not in my retirement years.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:11 pm 

SteelThrillsseeker wrote:
As for myself: I ask WTF was I thinking to myself all the time on why I moved to NY for work. Taxes, costs etc here are fucking ridiculous. I can imagine CA is probably even worse. I certainly will not be in NY for the rest of my life and certainly not in my retirement years.

CA is probably more expensive than NY, almost inconceivably.

One of my gradschool friends told me he hated NY before, but then when he was making enough money to live there he loved it. But for the most part, unless you work on Wall Street or some white-shoes lawfirm, you won't make enough money to enjoy all NY has to offer.

I have no desire to ever live in CA. Maybe San Diego, but I'm not sure I could make enough money there to support the lifestyle I'd want.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:14 pm 

A lot of moving from CA to TN has to do with getting regrounded and back to nature. Even Rachel Wood, who is clearly not a right winger, said she left CA for TN because she didn't want her son to grow up with pernicious influences.

And here's the other thing...a lot of what Californians claim to dream of...sustainability, green spaces, clean water, clean air, greener transport, blue skies, less ghettoization, better race relationships, equality of income and wealth, affordable housing, a village to raise their kids...can all be found in TN or the Carolinas more than CA. Words are not matching deeds of the California left.

There is not a state in the Union that comes close to the caste system in California...New York City is the only place in the ballpark.

Transport problems are reason enough to leave CA. BTW, that's also true of Austin (totally jumped the shark--Mopac is as bad as the 405) or Phoenix which seems to have looked at the problems of LA/Bay area and imitated all of its mistakes.

Be careful, Nashville, or you are next.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:50 pm 

Quote:
Transport problems are reason enough to leave CA.

I think the state's federal aid is tied to how many pot holes liter our roadways.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:02 pm 

Provided you don't get attacked by a bear in East TN you can go from backcountry to a gourmet dinner with cold craft beer in under 2 hours. There are controls via development agreements, those same docs in other muni's are fraught with deceptions resulting in infrastructure burden. Interesting suit recently filed by TN naming fed govt as defendant.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:23 pm 

Quote:
Provided you don't get attacked by a bear in East TN

Carrying a good 10mm or .357 mag with proper ammo would provide adequate protection from lower 48 bears.

Need larger caliber for the big Alaskan bears.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next