It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Las Vegas Raiders
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:41 pm 

Quote:
Yup, California has high tax rates, especially the wealthy, but leads the nation with economic growth - more than twice the national average.

And yet still has the highest amount of state debt in the nation. Something is wrong with that picture.

And it wasn't because of...

Quote:
The debt is big because of wall street, not because of mismanagement or corruption, from what I can tell. It was a result of the dot com bust and the housing crisis.

I'm surprised you didn't blame CA's debt on capitalism as that seems to be your go to.

I'm sorry but you are WAY off base as to why this state is buried in debt. I mean, you hit Wall Street, the housing crisis, and the dot-com bubble. Why no mention of CA's massive expenditure and welfare programs or how the state has to borrow (take on debt) to fund its public pension liabilities after years and years of gross mismanagement? I suppose those are of no consequence. Nope, it was a bunch of tech stocks getting crushed 15-17 years ago...

About the only accurate thing was this...

Quote:
You can paint Cali like a shit-hole all you want, but it's not the reality

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:00 pm 

Quote:
and the housing crisis. Who's fault was that? Yeah, I know. Another argument.

Jimmy Carter planted the seeds. Bill Clinton fertilized & watered them. Wall Street picked the fruit. The tax payer dealt with the rotten soil left behind.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:29 pm 

Subtract Silicon Valley megawealth and all that factitious "growth" goes away. That's all the result of money printing by the Fed. On the other hand, with 12 percent of the population, 33 percent of America's families getting TANF assistance live here. Oakland is the fifth most dangerous city in America, despite having pretty much all the perfect conditions that exist in Sydney.

But it's interesting to note that a good lefty like Cor-Ten loves Cali, home of the country's greatest inequality and unaffordable housing. And Obama under whom the SV billionaires made that money for 50K Warriors playoff seats while the middle class stagnated.

It's not just the politics. Even moderate places like Orange County and San Diego County are just too fucking crowded and dirty. For all the bullshit about sustainability, Californians don't seem to be all that into making it happen.

The prettiest and most "sustainable" part of the state, with low crime is actually the northern third, where few people choose to live or visit. When California leaves, I'd like to keep the State of Jefferson.

Ironically, the mid-South such as Tennessee has a lot more of what Californians say the care about when they're trying to impress people.

Well, except weed.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:58 am 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
Subtract Silicon Valley megawealth and all that factitious "growth" goes away. That's all the result of money printing by the Fed. On the other hand, with 12 percent of the population, 33 percent of America's families getting TANF assistance live here. Oakland is the fifth most dangerous city in America, despite having pretty much all the perfect conditions that exist in Sydney.

But it's interesting to note that a good lefty like Cor-Ten loves Cali, home of the country's greatest inequality and unaffordable housing. And Obama under whom the SV billionaires made that money for 50K Warriors playoff seats while the middle class stagnated.

It's not just the politics. Even moderate places like Orange County and San Diego County are just too fucking crowded and dirty. For all the bullshit about sustainability, Californians don't seem to be all that into making it happen.

The prettiest and most "sustainable" part of the state, with low crime is actually the northern third, where few people choose to live or visit. When California leaves, I'd like to keep the State of Jefferson.

Ironically, the mid-South such as Tennessee has a lot more of what Californians say the care about when they're trying to impress people.

Well, except weed.

Dan, you know what's funny about that sig? Isn't punctuation, technically, a separate thing from grammar? Shouldn't the meme be "This is why punctuation matters?" :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:03 am 

Kodiak wrote:
Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
No team will have as many off-field issues.

That may be conventional wisdom, but does Vegas REALLY offer vices not readily available in most the other major cities?

There's a culture/mentality that leads to wildness when people visit Vegas, but I suspect that wears off pretty quickly when you're living there.

I was just thinking of the proximity to gambling more than anything else.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:44 am 

I don't think gambling conflicts of interest will be the issue. Raiders are too high profile. Smart point shavers focus on obscure games.

The problem will be booze, drugs and partying.

I think the sign issue is both grammar and punctuation, since the exclamation point divides it into two sentences.

But what? Do I know?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:06 am 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
I think the sign issue is both grammar and punctuation, since the exclamation point divides it into two sentences.

But what? Do I know?

But there is nothing grammatically incorrect about either sentence. The faulty punctuation skews the meaning into delicious irony. Grammar in the strict sense, if I am not mistaken, is not about meaning, but structure. It's still funny as hell, but the creator of the meme, certainly not yourself, is either practicing meta-irony, or, possibly, runs the risk of ironically mistaking an issue of punctuation for an issue of grammar. Which is also funny. But not nearly as funny as that sign.

Incidentally, I find the great debate of the dividing line between punctuation and grammar to be more fulfilling than the political poo flinging. I wonder if only liberals separate punctuation from grammar?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:32 pm 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
The problem will be booze, drugs and partying.

Which are no worse than LA, NY, Chicago or Miami and some other cities.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:43 pm 

First Steelers road game in Las Vegas, I'm there. Always looking for a good excuse 8-)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:10 pm 

To put California, and particularly LA county in perspective...

http://overflow.solutions/demographic-d ... -s-county/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next