It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Cowboys-Saints
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:35 pm
Posts: 9390
Surprised how competitive the Cowboys are with the Saints. They are really putting a lot of heat on Brees.

_________________
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
--Voltaire

#CdnSteelerFanStrong


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cowboys-Saints
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:47 am
Posts: 4764
Alex Smith going down ruining the Redskins season plus the Cowboys trade for Cooper changed things in that division.

Vander Esch is everywhere.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cowboys-Saints
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:22 am
Posts: 11323
Boys’ might have the defensive front 7 in football. Really really good.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cowboys-Saints
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:17 pm
Posts: 1613
Brees shits the bed in primetime. Dallas got in his face and he withered.
Rod Marinelli may have been a 0-16 head coach but he is a pretty damn good DC. Outside of the Randy Gregory penalties that defense was stout all game against the pass *and* the run and those athletic LBs of Dallas just shut down everything short.

_________________
steel wrote:
game over boys


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cowboys-Saints
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:48 pm
Posts: 999
Honestly would have lost every bet as I never expected the Cowboys to beat the Saints. Wow


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cowboys-Saints
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 24959
This explains all the crying I heard all over the Philadelphia region last night.

Sports radio should be fun this morning!

_________________
“A set of several simple rules leads to complex, intelligent behavior. While a set of complex rules often leads to dumb and primitive behavior.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cowboys-Saints
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm
Posts: 8441
Payton was the anti-Tomlin re: clock management and fucked up in the process. Announcers pointed this out

In order to save THREE seconds, Payton calls his final timeout preceding a Cowboys 2nd down with 2:03 left, leaving the Cowboys the capacity to throw on 2nd down with zero consequence in terms of the clock. They throw, the get the flag for a 1st down, game's over.

Had Payton allowed the clock to run to two minutes, still with a timeout remaining, Cowboys undoubtedly would have run on 2nd & 3rd down, prob kicked a FG to go up 6 points with about 1:15 remaining.

_________________
#NoMoTomlin!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cowboys-Saints
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:30 am
Posts: 785
I know its not home but there were a lot of NO fans and it was like a dome..yet Dallas D was impressive.

At first I was ..OK....here is the blueprint but I just dont think Steelers have the same defensive talent to do that. JMO

Remember when Coach Dick would bring ridiculous heat from everywhere to make Carson Palmer uncomfortable and then by the time of the third quarter Carson was caving with only a 4 man rush that wasnt even getting close to thim.

At the same time I dont miss the blitz coming from an end where the DB gives a 10 yard cushion and the QB will throw to that direction knowing the cushion was there,


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cowboys-Saints
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 13470
swissvale72 wrote:
Payton was the anti-Tomlin re: clock management and fucked up in the process. Announcers pointed this out


Kind of sounds like you're advocating betting on the other team "living in their fears" running the ball - when throwing is clearly what should be done to get the first - rather than taking the knowable certainty of saving as much time for your offense as possible.

But I'd argue keeping that TO is more valuable than the 3 seconds, because they might throw anyway and if it's incomplete you'd like that TO back for 3 less seconds.

I think the cut-off is about 10 seconds. If they run a play and there's a penalty, you risk hitting the 2:00 minute warning with an upcoming replay of down. And on the flip-side on offense, it takes probably a good 7 seconds of time to spot, set and clock the ball.....so I think 2:10 is about right.

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cowboys-Saints
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:47 am
Posts: 4764
DrMalba wrote:
Brees shits the bed in primetime. Dallas got in his face and he withered.
Rod Marinelli may have been a 0-16 head coach but he is a pretty damn good DC. Outside of the Randy Gregory penalties that defense was stout all game against the pass *and* the run and those athletic LBs of Dallas just shut down everything short.


Marinelli is a good DC. He turned that D around his first year there.

That defense is young, fast, and talented. Their opposition hasn't scored more than 24 in any game this season.

It's crazy, when they were 3-5 that team was done. Their offense couldn't do shit, really sucked. Their offense is still not good but the addition of Cooper allows them to do some things they couldn't before. Fucking John Gruden.

That defense keeps them in games and if their offense can make enough plays they have a chance to make some noise.

Having said that, I don't see them holding down a high scoring team with a playmaking qb as much as they were able to do vs the stationary Brees last night.


Last edited by Havoc on Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cowboys-Saints
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:59 pm
Posts: 245
Smith and LVE in the middle of that defense change the whole tone of the game for Dallas.

They run sideline to sideline and deliver a blow when they get to the ball carrier.

As impressive a game of LB play as I've seen in a while last night. You could tell Kamara and Ingram were just whooped by the 4th quarter from being blasted by those two.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cowboys-Saints
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:47 am
Posts: 4764
treat88 wrote:
Smith and LVE in the middle of that defense change the whole tone of the game for Dallas.

They run sideline to sideline and deliver a blow when they get to the ball carrier.

As impressive a game of LB play as I've seen in a while last night. You could tell Kamara and Ingram were just whooped by the 4th quarter from being blasted by those two.


This, plus they were up in Brees grill the entire game with pressure up the middle.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cowboys-Saints
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:54 pm
Posts: 4474
Who would have thought that a HOF QB could end the game with a crucial INT?

On another note, I have to say I was wrong about LVE. I didn't really want to draft him because I didn't see real explosiveness from him on his college tape. More specifically, I didn't see initial burst...ie it took him a while to get up to speed. But, he's certainly improved in that area and looks to be the real deal. I think there were quite a few of us that were wrong here on SF.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cowboys-Saints
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:34 am
Posts: 5905
I'd been hearing all week from several pundits that the Cowboys were going to win outright. I wasn't surprised.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cowboys-Saints
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:57 pm
Posts: 3582
Always bet on the home team on Thursday night football.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... age-in-06/

Quote:
According to the Spreadapedia database, home teams have won at 62.4 percent clip on Thursdays since 2006. This 58-35 mark includes NFL Kickoff and Thanksgiving games.

By contrast, on all other days in this same span, home sides have won at a 56.6 percent rate (1,140-873-3).

Home teams have also outperformed the betting market’s overall expectations on Thursdays in this span. Per Spreadapedia, home sides have covered the point spread at a 55.6 percent rate on Thursdays since 2006 (50-40-3). However, this includes a money-losing 18-19-1 spread mark since 2012 (48.6 percent). And that mark is in line with how other home teams have done in non-Thursday games in the last eight years. On all other days since ’06, home teams have beaten the point spread at just a 48.6 percent rate (953-1,006-46).

Finally, let’s finish with a look at Over-Unders, or the total number of combined points set for each game by oddsmakers.

Since 2006, 51.2 percent of all non-Thursday games have gone OVER the total (1,012-964-39).

So what about Thursdays? After all, there have been some high-scoring Thursday games to kick off the season, and the OVER has cashed 4-of-5 times.

_________________
"I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them."
--George Bush


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cowboys-Saints
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 5863
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
Joey's Pitbull wrote:
I know its not home but there were a lot of NO fans and it was like a dome..yet Dallas D was impressive.

At first I was ..OK....here is the blueprint but I just dont think Steelers have the same defensive talent to do that. JMO

Remember when Coach Dick would bring ridiculous heat from everywhere to make Carson Palmer uncomfortable and then by the time of the third quarter Carson was caving with only a 4 man rush that wasnt even getting close to thim.

At the same time I dont miss the blitz coming from an end where the DB gives a 10 yard cushion and the QB will throw to that direction knowing the cushion was there,


In fairness, the rush that really bothered Palmer, and bothers Brady, and would probably bother Brees, is straight up the middle from the D-line. If they come in healthy, and everybody plays to potential (looking at you, Tuitt, along with to a lesser extent Bud D.), they could pull that off. The question is, if Haden can stick Thomas, can the rest of the back 7 hold up long enough to get the line home?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cowboys-Saints
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 18343
jebrick wrote:
Always bet on the home team on Thursday night football.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... age-in-06/

Quote:
According to the Spreadapedia database, home teams have won at 62.4 percent clip on Thursdays since 2006. This 58-35 mark includes NFL Kickoff and Thanksgiving games.

By contrast, on all other days in this same span, home sides have won at a 56.6 percent rate (1,140-873-3).

Home teams have also outperformed the betting market’s overall expectations on Thursdays in this span. Per Spreadapedia, home sides have covered the point spread at a 55.6 percent rate on Thursdays since 2006 (50-40-3). However, this includes a money-losing 18-19-1 spread mark since 2012 (48.6 percent). And that mark is in line with how other home teams have done in non-Thursday games in the last eight years. On all other days since ’06, home teams have beaten the point spread at just a 48.6 percent rate (953-1,006-46).

Finally, let’s finish with a look at Over-Unders, or the total number of combined points set for each game by oddsmakers.

Since 2006, 51.2 percent of all non-Thursday games have gone OVER the total (1,012-964-39).

So what about Thursdays? After all, there have been some high-scoring Thursday games to kick off the season, and the OVER has cashed 4-of-5 times.

This was a real anomaly though... neither team had a short week.

_________________
Fuck the Patriots.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cowboys-Saints
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:12 pm
Posts: 5143
I wish we would have went outside the org when Lebeau retired.

I’m all for giving a guy an opportunity but at the same time we are a premier gig. Think we could have done better than Butler.

Maybe significantly.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cowboys-Saints
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm
Posts: 8441
955876 wrote:
I wish we would have went outside the org when Lebeau retired.

I’m all for giving a guy an opportunity but at the same time we are a premier gig. Think we could have done better than Butler.

Maybe significantly.


Problem with that is Butler is THE reason that LeBeau was forced out. Steelers didn't want to lose Butler...who's just a guy.

_________________
#NoMoTomlin!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group