It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Trades
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:52 am 

Multiple reports the Steelers have inquired on both Janoris Jenkins and Garreon Conley.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:01 am 

Quote:
@AdamSchefter
More deals: Now the Giants are trading DT Damon Harrison to the Detroit Lions for a fifth-round pick, sources tell ESPN. https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status ... 5684883457
Seems the entire rosters for both the Giants and Raiders are up for bid....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:21 am 

Charles Demarr wrote:
Multiple reports the Steelers have inquired on both Janoris Jenkins and Garreon Conley.

Doesn't Jenkins have a pretty big contract? Can Colbert pull a Rutherford and get some salary retained?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:11 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Quote:
@AdamSchefter
More deals: Now the Giants are trading DT Damon Harrison to the Detroit Lions for a fifth-round pick, sources tell ESPN. https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status ... 5684883457
Seems the entire rosters for both the Giants and Raiders are up for bid....

Wow.
Snacks for a 5th round pick.
He maybe the most active and destructive NT in football. Averages over 70 tackles a year last 5-6 years.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:16 am 

Ice wrote:
Charles Demarr wrote:

Doesn't Jenkins have a pretty big contract? Can Colbert pull a Rutherford and get some salary retained?

2 years left on that deal...2019 and 20.
$11.25 per year.
$11 million dead money for 2019.
$3.5 dead if cut after the 2019 season

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:05 am 

Charles Demarr wrote:

Oh sweet baby jesus, please let us work something out and get a player to help this D.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:01 am 

SteelThrillsseeker wrote:
Charles Demarr wrote:

Oh sweet baby jesus, please let us work something out and get a player to help this D.

Yes, but if it's one of these two, I want no part of Jenkins - especially at his salary. I would maybe take a flyer on Conley for a 2019 5th or later, but he's still got about $6.5M G$ owed to him - so that's a big money risk if he doesn't work out over the next year or so.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:25 am 

Charles Demarr wrote:

"Inquired"

Here's how the conversation went
Steelers: oh heya...I was just kinda wondering if you know, you might have any cornernbacks you'd like want some draft picks in exchange for?
Other team: Sure...what do you have in mind?
Steelers: we'll give you 2 seventh round picks
Other team: HAHAHAHAHA

Pittsburgh to their fans: we really tried, the price was just too high to make a deal. We totally made a ton of inquires.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:52 pm 

Damn I would have liked Harrison in the Burgh and either Jenkins or Conley.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:27 pm 

DP39 wrote:
SteelThrillsseeker wrote:
Charles Demarr wrote:

Yes, but if it's one of these two, I want no part of Jenkins - especially at his salary. I would maybe take a flyer on Conley for a 2019 5th or later, but he's still got about $6.5M G$ owed to him - so that's a big money risk if he doesn't work out over the next year or so.

3.5 of dead money if cut after 2019 doesn't suck if you keep him for a year. FA CBs, particularly the top two or three on the market, will go for more than 11.5 mill/yr. Cost control on two year old value doesn't usually suck.

Hockey FA comparison: fans bitched like hell about what a massive overpayment Kris Letang's contract was when it was signed; a couple years later, with several average schlubs making more than he does, it looks like a great value. Same with Kessel, who, since he was acquired under an "albatross" contract, received almost exactly the type of ire folks might express over Jenkins. By the time FA hits, 11.5 for a good corner to pair with our other good corner in Haden isn't going to look like overpayment.

A league where the salary cap jumps significantly from year to year, the cap value on a two year old contract gets better even faster.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:12 am 

Quote:
Conley is only two years into his rookie contract with a fifth-year option remaining. The cap hit is $2.8 million next year and $3.3 million in 2020.
Conley should come cheap as Gruden continues his fire sale in Oakland. I think the Steelers have a better shot at Conley anyway. @ 29 years old Jenkins is too expensive; still owed some $30+ mil.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:52 am 

I've been watching Giants games this year. Jenkins is getting torched constantly. what's his PFF ranking?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:26 am 

I wonder if the scheme isn't right for Jenkins, like a Nnamdi Asomugha situation where you sign the big name and then try and fit the square peg into a round hole, or if he's a victim of the general malaise hovering over that dumpster fire in the Meadowlands. He put in some quality work in Los Angeles.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:05 pm 

Ice wrote:
I wonder if the scheme isn't right for Jenkins, like a Nnamdi Asomugha situation where you sign the big name and then try and fit the square peg into a round hole, or if he's a victim of the general malaise hovering over that dumpster fire in the Meadowlands. He put in some quality work in Los Angeles.

I've watched him a decent amount in the last year and a half, and he seems to be going through the motions and half assin' it - after he got paid, of course. It could be frustration with the current losing situation, but not sure I want anything to do with an expensive player if he's going to react that way to some adversity.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:46 am 

Apparently Desean Jackson has requested a trade from the Bucs. Any interest in him. I have no idea what his salary is, but he can still take the top off of a defense.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:56 am 

alancac98 wrote:
Apparently Desean Jackson has requested a trade from the Bucs. Any interest in him. I have no idea what his salary is, but he can still take the top off of a defense.

I like your thinking...a burner to make the safety respect you. DHB, Hunter I guess is the current crew I guess.