It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Jag's Blueprint
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:58 am 

After Jax humbled the Pats yesterday, one of their DB's not named Ramsey was interviewed and asked about their success early this season. He attributed it to discipline and hard work.

He said they didn't really understand and buy into all the little details last season, like being 15 minutes early for meetings, etc. But he said they understand it now, and they appreciate all the structure and rules placed on them. He said it has made them a more focused and disciplined team.

He said they have had the toughest camps the past two seasons that he has ever been a part of. Full pads in the mid day in Fl was the norm. Someone clarified that they took it as far as the CBA would allow in terms of amount of time practiced and conditions. He said that they are more physically prepared to play a full 60 minutes under any condition as a result.

But hey, Tomlin's way works as well, right?

Post subject: Re: The Jag's Blueprint
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:38 am 

Coughlin is no joke

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:44 am 

7forSteel wrote:
After Jax humbled the Pats yesterday, one of their DB's not named Ramsey was interviewed and asked about their success early this season. He attributed it to discipline and hard work.

He said they didn't really understand and buy into all the little details last season, like being 15 minutes early for meetings, etc. But he said they understand it now, and they appreciate all the structure and rules placed on them. He said it has made them a more focused and disciplined team.

He said they have had the toughest camps the past two seasons that he has ever been a part of. Full pads in the mid day in Fl was the norm. Someone clarified that they took it as far as the CBA would allow in terms of amount of time practiced and conditions. He said that they are more physically prepared to play a full 60 minutes under any condition as a result.

Tomlin is loved by his players - but for the wrong reasons it seems. There is no leader on this team. Nobody gets up and claims responsibility for the shit-show.

Tomlin's not a leader
Ben's not a leader.
AB's not a leader
Bell's not a leader.

This team needs a disciplinarian to come in and change the tone of the locker room.

Tomlin inherited a group of players that were coached by Cowher - who ran a tight ship. And that team was primed to win. Over the years Tomlin's tone has been set, and this team has descended into a three ring circus. The tone is not going to change. Coaches dont wake up one day and completely change the tone of a locker room - Tomlin is who he is and its not working.

Many have seen this for years.

The first warning signs were the team always playing down to their competition. Overlooking games. Lots of penalties and slow starts. Signs that focus wasn't always there.

Why have some of us been down on Tomlin for years? Not because of the problems, but because it was evident that they were never going to change. The same problems, year after year. A smart owner would have identified this and cut the cord. But sometimes 'good enough' is the enemy of 'great'. So nothing has changed. Sometimes the hardest decisions are the right ones - a team shouldn't have to bottom out to make a coaching change.

Switching from Cowher to Tomlin happened at the right time - the team needed a jolt and a change, and they kickstarted into a SB. But Tomlin's effectiveness quickly wore off, and he has coasted by on the talent of his players.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:49 am 

BarryFoster wrote:
Coughlin is no joke

I thought he would have been a great short-term coach to take over for the last years of Ben. He got stale in NY, but he is > Tomlin.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:12 am 

Did he mention that they have drafted in the top 10 in 8 of the last 9 years*. Bound to get some talent doing that.

*I only looked back to 2010. could be much more.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:13 am 

7forSteel wrote:

But why be 15 minutes early? Just schedule everything 15 minutes earlier then? That said, I'm personally early for everything

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:14 am 

I didn't read the whole thing but I damn sure didn't see them taking 'team building day' down to the local Dave and Busters or talking about who the better ping pong player is....

Chuck Noll has to be rolling over in his grave. Tomlin is a fucking joke. Ownership is a fucking joke. As a result, the team is a fucking joke. All very bad jokes.

Side Note: Have any of us Ever witnessed this on the Steelers sidelines from any alleged leader on the team? No not Antonio Brown acting like a spoiled millionaire. This team has no fire, no passion, no sense and no urgency. Just going through the motions to collect that check.

Do Your Job!
https://twitter.com/MikeGiardi/status/1 ... 621e2.html

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:01 am 

I thought the thread was going to about the techniques the Jags used to stymie the Pats.

From what I could see and what Romo was saying it seemed like the Jags got on Gronk from the LOS and doubled him a bit. They sure used some creative zones his way as well as over/under techniques.
The kind of things we never see from Butler's defense. Edit that, maybe he tries but can't teach them properly. Maybe we don't have the players!

We gave Kelche free reign yesterday.

I'll have to wait until all-22 but it sure seemed like our safeties were shit yesterday.

Tackling has been and still is a major issue for this team.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:30 am 

the-other-burg wrote:
BarryFoster wrote:
Coughlin is no joke

I thought he would have been a great short-term coach to take over for the last years of Ben. He got stale in NY, but he is > Tomlin.

Give me a break. He did get stale. The authoritative dick is short term coaching solution for sure. If you are going to build a self correcting longer term coaching model that doesn’t require yelling, whip cracking and rules out the wazoo, you need something similar to the Tomlin model. Treats everyone with respect, expects the same, knows he has men and adults, allows for exceptions and isn’t rigid. Obviously it has it’s shortcomings, but he hasn’t lost a team yet. Definitely lacking rings in my opinion. Coughlin has lost teams in his tenures. I’ll take MT over Tom Coughlin any day. TC did seem to have the Pat’s kryptonite.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:39 am 

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
the-other-burg wrote:
BarryFoster wrote:
Coughlin is no joke

Give me a break. He did get stale. The authoritative dick is short term coaching solution for sure. If you are going to build a self correcting longer term coaching model that doesn’t require yelling, whip cracking and rules out the wazoo, you need something similar to the Tomlin model. Treats everyone with respect, expects the same, knows he has men and adults, allows for exceptions and isn’t rigid. Obviously it has it’s shortcomings, but he hasn’t lost a team yet. Definitely lacking rings in my opinion. Coughlin has lost teams in his tenures. I’ll take MT over Tom Coughlin any day. TC did seem to have the Pat’s kryptonite.

Also, i feel like we're giving a little too much credit to Coughlin for the Jags rebuild.

Ngakoue, Telvin Smith, Malik Jackson, Myles Jack, Jalen Ramsey, Tashaun Gipson, and Dante Fowler were all on that defense before Coughlin got there.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:13 am 

LakecrestSteeler wrote:

Why don't we just give out participation medals and coloring books for the team then. They need to feel good about themselves while they drink juice out of their sippie cups.

The team doesn't need mamby pamby liberal feel good politically correct coaching. Neither does the NFL. Neither does this country. All this touchy freely horse shit where people get triggered because a team's mascot is an animal needs more Coughlin and far less Tomlin.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:22 am 

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
the-other-burg wrote:
BarryFoster wrote:
Coughlin is no joke

Lake..........
The Tomlin style has been to take it easy on Vets in camp and pre-season.
Very little to no cohesion and rhythm for the first offensive unit.
Not sharp, not focused. Few to no game time bonding.
Nice example for 2nd and 3rd year players, to know, I too can start taking it a little easier in a year or two.

It becomes the culture of the team. What is expected. The norms.

Compound that with Vet days off during the week and in-between games.
The result has been slop and slather with an offense that is poor at execution.
Slow out of the gates.
Filled with slop and slather, penalties, missed opportunities, wasted plays and sets of downs, field postion.

It put the thought of "we can play with these guys" into the mind, eyes and heart of inferior teams. - Cleveland
It puts the team behind the eight ball vs. good teams. KC

The Tomlin Model is not something for other head coaches to emulate.
It has failed for a decade.
A decade.

Out game planned.
Out schemed.
Out play called.
Out in game adjusted.

Bottom line.
Out coached.

Happens week in and week out.
10-12 games a year. Thats being kind.

Last edited by Stosh-67 on Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:25 am 

7forSteel wrote:
LakecrestSteeler wrote:

Why don't we just give out participation medals and coloring books for the team then. They need to feel good about themselves while they drink juice out of their sippie cups.

The team doesn't need mamby pamby liberal feel good politically correct coaching. Neither does the NFL. Neither does this country. All this touchy freely horse shit where people get triggered because a team's mascot is an animal needs more Coughlin and far less Tomlin.

!

I'm tempted to say "Amen", but that might just melt this place down...

;)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:30 am 

Stosh-67 wrote:

Lake..........
The Tomlin style has been to take it easy on Vets in camp and pre-season.
Very little to no cohesion and rhythm for the first offensive unit.
Not sharp, not focused. Few to no game time bonding.
Nice example for 2nd and 3rd year players, to know, I too can start taking it a little easier in a year or two.

It becomes the culture of the team. What is expected. The norms.

Compound that with Vet days off during the week and in-between games.
The result has been slop and slather with an offense that is poor at execution.
Slow out of the gates.
Filled with slop and slather, penalties, missed opportunities, wasted plays and sets of downs, field postion.

It put the thought of "we can play with these guys" into the mind, eyes and heart of inferior teams. - Cleveland
It puts the team behind the eight ball vs. good teams. KC

The Tomlin Model is not something for other head coaches to emulate.
It has failed for a decade.
A decade.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:46 am 

Quote:
Also, i feel like we're giving a little too much credit to Coughlin for the Jags rebuild.

I agree Pabst.
But I think Marrone is probably cut from the same cloth.
Probably why Tom C hired him, or why Tom kept him on after his stint as interim HC of the Jags in 2016.

Marrone was 15-17 in 2 years as Bills HC.
Not bad by Buffalo standards.

I am assuming Marrone, guided and molded by Toms principals has coached more in the Coughlin style.

It is not just the defensive players that Tom / Marrone may have inherited.........
It has been their offense style and philosophy.
Crisp and disciplined, with nice balanced play calling. A good element of surprise.
Underneath crossing patterns, rubs, picks.
Players schemed open.

Not sure if there is anyone on this site that would swap out the skill players with Jags.

Ben, AB, JuJu, Connor,JJ, McDonald, Washington,

Bortles, Fournette, Yeldon, Moncrief, Jenkins, Cole, Grant, Chark.......

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:48 am 

Listen I think it is time for MT to move on. 10 plus years is a long time. However, there are way more successful models of coaching that resemble MT’s model than there are that resemble Tom C’s. Model in 2018!

You don’t need to use threats, rules and whips to get performance.

You just need vision, talent, and coaches that know how to build processes that avoid the whip and the carrot. Good processes just work! Then you need coaches and players that constantly evaluate the processes and collectively they have another process to ensure the process and procedure improvements are constantly baked into the existing successful processes. It’s a process!

That is why you can’t just toss out the baby with the bath water. It is a football player manufacturing factory. The Steeler factory is setup and running well. You just need coaches with new and fresh ideas to come and bake there ideas into the process. The changes just show up in the product on the field without anybody even really knowing that it happened.

Right now we have some processes that are not mature enough in the secondary. The next man up with Haden’s injury is not working because of all the new talent and change in coaches in that particular sub-unit of the defense. The defensive machine is not working because the secondary has a wrench in the works. Give Bradley another game or two to get the secondary machinery running and the bed wetters will subside somewhat.

The Punter needs to go! We have no ability to consistently flip the field position in the punt game.

That is really all that needs to happen. Tomlin’s model, in my opinion, is setup to avoid injuries by starting slow out of the gates and hitting peak performance come January. It works for the most part except this damn once every 2 generations coach and QB up north.

We have a pretty damn nice football player factory. We don’t need to burn it down!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:58 am 

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
the-other-burg wrote:
BarryFoster wrote:
Coughlin is no joke

I couldnt disagree more. This team needs a tone change to right the ship. The Tomlin model can come back again in 5 years when the team regains some discipline. Right now, shit show.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:39 pm 

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2018/ ... o-be-late/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:47 pm 

the-other-burg wrote:
Tomlin is loved by his players - but for the wrong reasons it seems. There is no leader on this team. Nobody gets up and claims responsibility for the shit-show.

When Bell and Blount got popped for baking on their way to the team flight....that told us a lot about how Tomlin runs his team.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:06 pm 

AirRescueFF wrote:
https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2018/07/19/james-harrison-ive-seen-tom-brady-running-to-meetings-scared-to-be-late/

Yesterday in the Jags game when Marrrone challenged the critical spot late in the game that made it a 4th and 1, I saw something that relates to this article.

After the Jags won the challenge and on the punt play, the Jags player jumped offsides but quickly returned back across the LOS before the snap. The Pats player lined across from the Jags player who jumped offsides didn’t move, not even a flinch. If he would have, as BB coaches his players to do (Romo was going off about it) it’s first down Pats and the game is in reach again.

BB was livid. They showed him on the sideline going ballistic on the player who didn’t react to the Jags player jumping. BB doesn’t really scream, but holy smokes you should have seen the fear in this kid’s eyes when he was being reprimanded. THAT is a coach. That is a guy that demands execution from his players on every facet of the game. You practice things and apply them to game time situations. You perfect the small stuff to give your team the advantage in a close game. BB understands that and is a master of that.

Stark contrast to our “general”.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:32 pm 

Quote:
knows he has men and adults

But does he really?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:20 am 

What was the Jags' blueprint this week?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:44 am 

Orangesteel wrote:
AirRescueFF wrote:
https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2018/07/19/james-harrison-ive-seen-tom-brady-running-to-meetings-scared-to-be-late/

Yesterday in the Jags game when Marrrone challenged the critical spot late in the game that made it a 4th and 1, I saw something that relates to this article.

After the Jags won the challenge and on the punt play, the Jags player jumped offsides but quickly returned back across the LOS before the snap. The Pats player lined across from the Jags player who jumped offsides didn’t move, not even a flinch. If he would have, as BB coaches his players to do (Romo was going off about it) it’s first down Pats and the game is in reach again.

BB was livid. They showed him on the sideline going ballistic on the player who didn’t react to the Jags player jumping. BB doesn’t really scream, but holy smokes you should have seen the fear in this kid’s eyes when he was being reprimanded. THAT is a coach. That is a guy that demands execution from his players on every facet of the game. You practice things and apply them to game time situations. You perfect the small stuff to give your team the advantage in a close game. BB understands that and is a master of that combined with a touch of cheating and the world considers him GOAT.

Stark contrast to our “general”.

I clicked on the game and saw that right as it happened. I laughed at the very point you make about Tomlin lacking this visible trait. I said even this cheating mother fucker still coaches and rips his players for being too stupid to execute something that is preached and coached in practice.