It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why did packers get their timeout back?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:46 am 

Trailing in the 4th, Packers on D and it looked like Jordan Howard stayed inbounds. Packers take timeout. After taking timeout, they decide to challenge. They win the challenge. Howard stepped out, time added to clock. But they also gave the timeout back to the Packers.

Why?

They could have challenged instantly without taking a timeout. Instead they bought time to decide whether to.challenge by taking that timeout. That's completely separate from what they challenged. Am I missing some special rule in this situation?

Post subject: Re: Why did packers get their timeout back?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:12 pm 

I don't know but what I do know about that game was that Aaron Rodgers did NOT go into the fetal position (as some on this board enjoy accusing him of) after getting banged around and injured in the first half. Nope, he nutted up in the 2nd half and brought the Packers back for the victory against a very tough Bears defense.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:31 am 

The Packers got their timeout back because Chicago had an injured player on the field. Normally when this happens, the team in question (Chicago) would forfeit the timeout. However, they did not have any left. Each team gets one free injury timeout per game without consequence. Since Chicago needed the timeout for injury, the Packers gained their's back.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:01 pm 

smithessmokin wrote:
The Packers got their timeout back because Chicago had an injured player on the field. Normally when this happens, the team in question (Chicago) would forfeit the timeout. However, they did not have any left. Each team gets one free injury timeout per game without consequence. Since Chicago needed the timeout for injury, the Packers gained their's back.

I think we're talking about different situations. I'm talking about end of game when Jordan Howard was marked in bounds, so Packers took a TO (with 2:30ish left) to stop the clock. After that TO, they threw the challenge flag on whether Howard stepped out and won the challenge. They were then given the timeout back that they took before the challenge.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:16 pm 

SteelKnife wrote:
smithessmokin wrote:

I think we're talking about different situations. I'm talking about end of game when Jordan Howard was marked in bounds, so Packers took a TO (with 2:30ish left) to stop the clock. After that TO, they threw the challenge flag on whether Howard stepped out and won the challenge. They were then given the timeout back that they took before the challenge.

In that case, they are given the timeout back because it was not needed to stop the clock. With winnning the challenge, the clock stopped, therefore they didn't need to take the timeout which they originally used to stop the clock.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:08 pm 

But they could have thrown the challenge flag without calling the timeout, couldn't they? Instead they took a timeout, used the delay to review the jumbotron and video, and then chose to challenge.

The timeout was separate from what they challenged.