It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Jag's Blueprint
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:58 am 

After Jax humbled the Pats yesterday, one of their DB's not named Ramsey was interviewed and asked about their success early this season. He attributed it to discipline and hard work.

He said they didn't really understand and buy into all the little details last season, like being 15 minutes early for meetings, etc. But he said they understand it now, and they appreciate all the structure and rules placed on them. He said it has made them a more focused and disciplined team.

He said they have had the toughest camps the past two seasons that he has ever been a part of. Full pads in the mid day in Fl was the norm. Someone clarified that they took it as far as the CBA would allow in terms of amount of time practiced and conditions. He said that they are more physically prepared to play a full 60 minutes under any condition as a result.

But hey, Tomlin's way works as well, right?

Post subject: Re: The Jag's Blueprint
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:38 am 

Coughlin is no joke

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:44 am 

7forSteel wrote:
After Jax humbled the Pats yesterday, one of their DB's not named Ramsey was interviewed and asked about their success early this season. He attributed it to discipline and hard work.

He said they didn't really understand and buy into all the little details last season, like being 15 minutes early for meetings, etc. But he said they understand it now, and they appreciate all the structure and rules placed on them. He said it has made them a more focused and disciplined team.

He said they have had the toughest camps the past two seasons that he has ever been a part of. Full pads in the mid day in Fl was the norm. Someone clarified that they took it as far as the CBA would allow in terms of amount of time practiced and conditions. He said that they are more physically prepared to play a full 60 minutes under any condition as a result.

Tomlin is loved by his players - but for the wrong reasons it seems. There is no leader on this team. Nobody gets up and claims responsibility for the shit-show.

Tomlin's not a leader
Ben's not a leader.
AB's not a leader
Bell's not a leader.

This team needs a disciplinarian to come in and change the tone of the locker room.

Tomlin inherited a group of players that were coached by Cowher - who ran a tight ship. And that team was primed to win. Over the years Tomlin's tone has been set, and this team has descended into a three ring circus. The tone is not going to change. Coaches dont wake up one day and completely change the tone of a locker room - Tomlin is who he is and its not working.

Many have seen this for years.

The first warning signs were the team always playing down to their competition. Overlooking games. Lots of penalties and slow starts. Signs that focus wasn't always there.

Why have some of us been down on Tomlin for years? Not because of the problems, but because it was evident that they were never going to change. The same problems, year after year. A smart owner would have identified this and cut the cord. But sometimes 'good enough' is the enemy of 'great'. So nothing has changed. Sometimes the hardest decisions are the right ones - a team shouldn't have to bottom out to make a coaching change.

Switching from Cowher to Tomlin happened at the right time - the team needed a jolt and a change, and they kickstarted into a SB. But Tomlin's effectiveness quickly wore off, and he has coasted by on the talent of his players.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:49 am 

BarryFoster wrote:
Coughlin is no joke

I thought he would have been a great short-term coach to take over for the last years of Ben. He got stale in NY, but he is > Tomlin.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:12 am 

Did he mention that they have drafted in the top 10 in 8 of the last 9 years*. Bound to get some talent doing that.

*I only looked back to 2010. could be much more.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:13 am 

7forSteel wrote:

But why be 15 minutes early? Just schedule everything 15 minutes earlier then? That said, I'm personally early for everything

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:14 am 

I didn't read the whole thing but I damn sure didn't see them taking 'team building day' down to the local Dave and Busters or talking about who the better ping pong player is....

Chuck Noll has to be rolling over in his grave. Tomlin is a fucking joke. Ownership is a fucking joke. As a result, the team is a fucking joke. All very bad jokes.

Side Note: Have any of us Ever witnessed this on the Steelers sidelines from any alleged leader on the team? No not Antonio Brown acting like a spoiled millionaire. This team has no fire, no passion, no sense and no urgency. Just going through the motions to collect that check.

Do Your Job!
https://twitter.com/MikeGiardi/status/1 ... 621e2.html

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:01 am 

I thought the thread was going to about the techniques the Jags used to stymie the Pats.

From what I could see and what Romo was saying it seemed like the Jags got on Gronk from the LOS and doubled him a bit. They sure used some creative zones his way as well as over/under techniques.
The kind of things we never see from Butler's defense. Edit that, maybe he tries but can't teach them properly. Maybe we don't have the players!

We gave Kelche free reign yesterday.

I'll have to wait until all-22 but it sure seemed like our safeties were shit yesterday.

Tackling has been and still is a major issue for this team.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:30 am 

the-other-burg wrote:
BarryFoster wrote:
Coughlin is no joke

I thought he would have been a great short-term coach to take over for the last years of Ben. He got stale in NY, but he is > Tomlin.

Give me a break. He did get stale. The authoritative dick is short term coaching solution for sure. If you are going to build a self correcting longer term coaching model that doesn’t require yelling, whip cracking and rules out the wazoo, you need something similar to the Tomlin model. Treats everyone with respect, expects the same, knows he has men and adults, allows for exceptions and isn’t rigid. Obviously it has it’s shortcomings, but he hasn’t lost a team yet. Definitely lacking rings in my opinion. Coughlin has lost teams in his tenures. I’ll take MT over Tom Coughlin any day. TC did seem to have the Pat’s kryptonite.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:39 am 

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
the-other-burg wrote:
BarryFoster wrote:
Coughlin is no joke

Give me a break. He did get stale. The authoritative dick is short term coaching solution for sure. If you are going to build a self correcting longer term coaching model that doesn’t require yelling, whip cracking and rules out the wazoo, you need something similar to the Tomlin model. Treats everyone with respect, expects the same, knows he has men and adults, allows for exceptions and isn’t rigid. Obviously it has it’s shortcomings, but he hasn’t lost a team yet. Definitely lacking rings in my opinion. Coughlin has lost teams in his tenures. I’ll take MT over Tom Coughlin any day. TC did seem to have the Pat’s kryptonite.

Also, i feel like we're giving a little too much credit to Coughlin for the Jags rebuild.

Ngakoue, Telvin Smith, Malik Jackson, Myles Jack, Jalen Ramsey, Tashaun Gipson, and Dante Fowler were all on that defense before Coughlin got there.