It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Opening Night - ATL @ PHI
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:51 pm 

Seriously, how fucking good is Fletcher Cox?

Not only is he a monster run stuffer, he’s super athletic and can cover.

ATL cannot finish a drive against this team, it’s unreal.

Post subject: Re: Opening Night - ATL @ PHI
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:34 pm 

14 penalties.

Looks like it’s going to be 6-3 at half. :o

Philly has done next to nothing on offense.

Foles was throwing inside his 20 with 18 seconds on the clock??

This coach has some large cajones.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:04 pm 

How in the hell did they rule that not a catch???

NFL still doesn’t know what a catch is. Fucking league sucks.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:11 pm 

Game sucks cock.

Watched about 5 minutes think there was 8 penalties.

One because a guy landed on qb.

Unwatchable.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:23 pm 

Seriously, what a bunch of slop and slather. Can't these coaches get their teams ready for week 1?

/s

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:27 am 

This just in: Julio Jones is good.

Matt Ryan...is not clutch.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:48 am 

And as usual the Atlanta Falcons offense is nothing but throw to Julio Jones, over, and over and over again.

Okay, so he had 10 catches for 169 yards but where are the TDs? No TDs and 12 points scored. And you targeted it to Julio Jones, what 20 times, more than that? And he only had a catch percentage of 50%? Last season JJ had a catch percentage of 59.5%. Not good.

It is easy to play rope a dope and give a single player his garbage fantasy football stats all the while limiting an offense.

This is why I don't want Antonio Brown to have 100 catches anymore, or to be targeted 185 times in a season. There is no reason to limit your offense when you have JuJu, when you have James Washington, when you have a fast athletic TE like McDonald or a pass catching RB like Jaylin Samuels or a slot WR like Switzer.

Spread the ball around, spread the wealth and you score more points, you are much harder to stop, the defense will be reeling not knowing what to do, who to cover, who to double, etc.

Atlanta still has not learned this lesson. I hope my Steelers do.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:24 am 

Orangesteel wrote:

This is not directed at you, Orange.

Not sure what play you are referring to, but...

LMAO at the idea the changes to the rule on what is a catch is going to eliminate controversy. There always has been, which is part of how we ended up with the previous rule to begin with.

And for the record...

I was fine with the rule as it was.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:08 am 

Havoc wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:

This is not directed at you, Orange.

Not sure what play you are referring to, but...

LMAO at the idea the changes to the rule on what is a catch is going to eliminate controversy. There always has been, which is part of how we ended up with the previous rule to begin with.

And for the record...

I was fine with the rule as it was.

I'm still trying to figure out what changed with the rule. My belief was they were supposed to eliminate the "Football-like move" and "Surviving the catch" nonsense....but they sure seem like they're still calling it exactly as they did last year.

Not that the those changes would have fixed the issue. They simply move the line of where the controversy was going to happen, similar to how the NCAA expanding from 2 teams playing for the championship to 4 teams didn't really change much other than moving the line.

But still, I was at least expecting slightly different controversy this year!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:43 am 

Hinestuff wrote:
14 penalties.

Sport is being ruined, they need to have a workgroup who's goal should be to eliminate 50% of the rules, eliminate all mandatory reviews, minimize reviews and stoppages to NEXT TO NOTHING and never show referees faces on the TV screen. Instead they do the opposite every off season add many more rules, add many more opportunities for flags stoppages and reviews. I'm not sure if younger generations will continue to follow it if it keeps getting slower and slower. I DVR ALL the games I watch now, so I can be on delay and FF past all the crap.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:45 am 

Orangesteel wrote:

I say it every year, people laugh at me!

IMPROVE THE SPORT=make a catch a NON-REVIEWABLE JUDGEMENT CALL

Games would be so much more fun to watch and so what? Lot's of things, like PI that often seem obvoious are judgement and nobody complains.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:11 am 

Scunge wrote:
And as usual the Atlanta Falcons offense is nothing but throw to Julio Jones, over, and over and over again.

Okay, so he had 10 catches for 169 yards but where are the TDs? No TDs and 12 points scored. And you targeted it to Julio Jones, what 20 times, more than that? And he only had a catch percentage of 50%? Last season JJ had a catch percentage of 59.5%. Not good.

It is easy to play rope a dope and give a single player his garbage fantasy football stats all the while limiting an offense.

This is why I don't want Antonio Brown to have 100 catches anymore, or to be targeted 185 times in a season. There is no reason to limit your offense when you have JuJu, when you have James Washington, when you have a fast athletic TE like McDonald or a pass catching RB like Jaylin Samuels or a slot WR like Switzer.

Spread the ball around, spread the wealth and you score more points, you are much harder to stop, the defense will be reeling not knowing what to do, who to cover, who to double, etc.

Atlanta still has not learned this lesson. I hope my Steelers do.

As great of a talent and specimen Julio is.........
Its eye opening on how few TD's he has had in his career.
this is his 8th year and he only has 43 TD catches in 96 career games ( + 6 td's in 8 playoff games )
All 8 of those years with Matt Ryan, a top 10 QB.
The added bonus of playing more than half of his 96 games in a dome ( 8 home + New Orleans ) and probably the majority of the other half of those games in pretty good weather with Carolina and Tampa in the division.
Only 25 Td's in the last 5 years and last night in 67 games.

AB has 52 TD's in his last 5 years. 2x as much.

Anyway.

I agree with your logic of spreading the ball around.
I think AB still gets double digits in TD catches.
But think JuJU may as well and can see Washington snagging 7 to 9.

Yeah, no need to have one guy catching 125-130 balls. Spread it around.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:26 am 

Poltargyst wrote:
Seriously, what a bunch of slop and slather. Can't these coaches get their teams ready for week 1?

/s

Because Pedersen and Quinn.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:53 pm 

Poltargyst wrote:

That final drive...Matt Ryan can't take that sack. That's a rookie mistake there and something Ben would do holding the ball too long

Think about it: they lost, what 7 yards on that sack? I realize they converted the 1st down, but they ended up about 7 yards from the EZ on the last play?

There's your difference between winning and losing. 7 yards on an unnecessary sack

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:59 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Poltargyst wrote:

That final drive...Matt Ryan can't take that sack. That's a rookie mistake there and something Ben would do holding the ball too long

Think about it: they lost, what 7 yards on that sack? I realize they converted the 1st down, but they ended up about 7 yards from the EZ on the last play?

There's your difference between winning and losing. 7 yards on an unnecessary sack

Falcons went up 28-3 with 8:31 left in the 3rd quarter.

It still sucks that the Falcons blew that lead. Unbelievable.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:00 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Poltargyst wrote:

They had 1st down from the 10 with 24 seconds to go. Enough time to run 4 pass plays. The sack didn't keep them from scoring in the redzone. They haven't been able to score in the redzone for an entire season. What kept them from scoring was Philly's D and their predictable, questionable, unimaginative playcalling. You know how I know about their playcalling? It looks like ours.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:57 pm 

7forSteel wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:
Poltargyst wrote:

They had 1st down from the 10 with 24 seconds to go. Enough time to run 4 pass plays. The sack didn't keep them from scoring in the redzone. They haven't been able to score in the redzone for an entire season. What kept them from scoring was Philly's D and their predictable, questionable, unimaginative playcalling. You know how I know about their playcalling? It looks like ours.

We don't know what ours looks like yet.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:59 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Poltargyst wrote:

Shades of the super bowl vs. NE. Cannot take a sack to go out of FG range.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:38 pm 

I had a hard time understanding the need to go for two at the end for Philly.

If there is a chart I wonder what it looks like for a situation like that.

You are up 16-12 and have to make the decision to go for 2. The opposing team can't kick a FG to win, that would only get them up to 15 points.

So, why wouldn't you just kick the extra point and make it 17-12?

Some would argue well what if the Falcons come back and score a TD? Then the score would be 19-17!!

Yeah? So? A last minute FG by Philly would allow them to win 20-19.

I guess the argument is that Philly was scared that the Falcons would score a TD and a two point conversion to make the score 20-17, and then when they did get the ball back they would only be able to tie the game with a FG instead of winning it? But if they went for the two point conversion and had 18 points then they could still win it with a FG 21-20?

That is all ridiculous!! Never mind that I have seen it happen that a team takes a two point attempt and runs it back to score 2 points themselves as Eric Berry did with KC.

This hypothetical is not that far fetched. What if the Falcons had intercepted that two point attempt and ran it back and scored? It would have been 16-14 and the Falcons could have got into FG range easily and won the game 17-16!

I just think Philly over thought this 2 pointer at the end of the game, it was not necessary. The Falcons have trouble scoring in the redzone and now you expect them to somehow magically bust out with a TD and a two pointer at the end??

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:28 am 

Scunge wrote:
I had a hard time understanding the need to go for two at the end for Philly.

If there is a chart I wonder what it looks like for a situation like that.

You are up 16-12 and have to make the decision to go for 2. The opposing team can't kick a FG to win, that would only get them up to 15 points.

So, why wouldn't you just kick the extra point and make it 17-12?

Some would argue well what if the Falcons come back and score a TD? Then the score would be 19-17!!

Yeah? So? A last minute FG by Philly would allow them to win 20-19.

I guess the argument is that Philly was scared that the Falcons would score a TD and a two point conversion to make the score 20-17, and then when they did get the ball back they would only be able to tie the game with a FG instead of winning it? But if they went for the two point conversion and had 18 points then they could still win it with a FG 21-20?

That is all ridiculous!! Never mind that I have seen it happen that a team takes a two point attempt and runs it back to score 2 points themselves as Eric Berry did with KC.

This hypothetical is not that far fetched. What if the Falcons had intercepted that two point attempt and ran it back and scored? It would have been 16-14 and the Falcons could have got into FG range easily and won the game 17-16!

I just think Philly over thought this 2 pointer at the end of the game, it was not necessary. The Falcons have trouble scoring in the redzone and now you expect them to somehow magically bust out with a TD and a two pointer at the end??

Didn't make sense to me either.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:08 am 

Not only did that 2 pointer not make sense, the offense didn't expect it and it cost the Eagles a TO that would have been crucial had the Falcons scored a TD. Losing the TO was worse than going for 2.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:27 am 

Nick79 wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:

Games would be so much more fun to watch and so what? Lot's of things, like PI that often seem obvoious are judgement and nobody complains.

Then their is gonna be way too many close catches/non catches that are wrong.

Yeah, it slows the game down, but don't you want to see the game played with MORE errors, so I disagree with you.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:21 am 

Poltargyst wrote:
7forSteel wrote:

We don't know what ours looks like yet.

Let me rephrase...

It looks like ours the past few seasons.

Better?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:23 am 

Nick79 wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:

I can see why people are laughing.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:27 am 

Going for 2 there put them up 6 which does apply some pressure to opposoing kicker if ATL scores TD. Extra pts aren’t gimmies anymore....maybe that is what they were thinking.