It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: YES! YES! YES!!!!! I LOVE YOU JON GRUDEN!!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:18 am 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ear ... 796073e4f6

Post subject: Re: YES! YES! YES!!!!! I LOVE YOU JON GRUDEN!!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:51 pm 

And as promised, I am here to follow you around and state that we need replay for the most egregious of errors, though I don't mind finding ways of reducing its influence.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:18 am 

Poltargyst wrote:
And as promised, I am here to follow you around and state that we need replay for the most egregious of errors, though I don't mind finding ways of reducing its influence.

Thank you

What happens if in the AFCCG vs the Colts in 95 the ref is in the wrong position and he thinks Bailey caught the ball? No replay then and we'd all be fucking livid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:11 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
What happens if in the AFCCG vs the Colts in 95 the ref is in the wrong position and he thinks Bailey caught the ball? No replay then and we'd all be fucking livid

What happens if in the AFC game for #1 seed vs the Patriots in 2017 the ref thinks Jesse James caught the ball? WITH replay then we're all fucking livid.

Replay could be OK, if they'd limit it to only 1000000% OBVIOUS errors. But we gave them an inch and they take a million miles, so now it takes up probably 20% of the damn telecast!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:15 pm 

Poltargyst wrote:
we need replay for the most egregious of errors, .

That would be nice if they could limit it to that, they don't even try! If you want to limit replay, you don't review every score, you don't review every turnover, you just review things that might have "most egregious of errors". And you limit it, like maybe give them 60 seconds max with no slow motion, why? Because if it really is "most egregious of errors" you don't need to slow it down to see it, because it's that obvious.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:40 pm 

We can throw all the “what ifs” out there that we want...the “what ifs” work both ways.
Nick is 100% correct...replay is the #1 issue that is ruining the NFL game.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:03 pm 

I've said before I'd be good if we get rid of all automatic reviews and just have coaches challenges only. Then the coaches can decide what's worth reviewing and what's not and they only get so many a game.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:38 am 

Poltargyst wrote:
I've said before I'd be good if we get rid of all automatic reviews and just have coaches challenges only. Then the coaches can decide what's worth reviewing and what's not and they only get so many a game.

Even then, I'd want even more limits, like just one per game, and a strict, hard time frame, 60 SECONDS, with a clock everyone can see, and a buzzer goes off at 0:00 and the review ends instantly if that buzzer sounds before they decide, and I'd also want no slow motion, just regular speed, if the error is that bad, then you can and should see it easily at regular speed within 60 seconds. And if they did that, maybe I'd give them 2 and a 3rd if they get the 1st one right like they do now for all the people that have a huge hard on to "get it right". Another thing I'd like is they made "what is a catch" a non-reviewable judgment call, like PI. That would solve a huge chunk of the issues.

Getting it right is fine, but not at this cost. It's just too much anymore, you have so many stoppages it's getting unwatchable. And you never feel like you can celebrate, every damn score the asshole announcers immediately start whining, "Oh boy, they're gong to have to take a look at that" I just feel like FUCK YOU! When they say that.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:45 am 

Jobus Rum wrote:
We can throw all the “what ifs” out there that we want...the “what ifs” work both ways.

For me, YES it is, it's just consuming the game, every year they add more, and more and more of it! Now this year we'll have stoppages every time we want to see if they lead with they head! Every score, every turnover, lead with the head, half the catches! When does it end? Why not review every play? And 90% of it is for stuff we never thought of before! Like in hockey my god it disgusts me when they turn over a goal, because some guys skate passes the blue line by 1/32nd of an inch ahead of the puck 100 feet away? Basketball 3 point basket becomes a 2 after they played 5 more minutes? Baseball the base stealers foot comes off the bag by 1/64th of an inch on the slide so safe becomes out? Stuff you never even thought about, sorry, maybe this stuff "gets it right" but I personally hate it all.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:06 pm 

Nick79 wrote:
Jobus Rum wrote:

For me, YES it is, it's just consuming the game, every year they add more, and more and more of it! Now this year we'll have stoppages every time we want to see if they lead with they head! Every score, every turnover, lead with the head, half the catches! When does it end? Why not review every play? And 90% of it is for stuff we never thought of before! Like in hockey my god it disgusts me when they turn over a goal, because some guys skate passes the blue line by 1/32nd of an inch ahead of the puck 100 feet away? Basketball 3 point basket becomes a 2 after they played 5 more minutes? Baseball the base stealers foot comes off the bag by 1/64th of an inch on the slide so safe becomes out? Stuff you never even thought about, sorry, maybe this stuff "gets it right" but I personally hate it all.

I'm not sure when the "clear and incontrovertible evidence" standard went out the window...but can we all agree that if you need to watch a super slo-mo replay repeatedly for 5 minutes then you can't overturn the call on the field? Please?

My personal solution is that a ref can watch a replay once or twice at full speed. That should allow him to overturn obvious miscalls. If you can't instantly spot the mistake, then play on.