It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Ravens changes?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:45 pm
Posts: 13520
Quote:
Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti said he had a "thought" about firing coach John Harbaugh. "It was a consideration but it wasn't one I was inclined to make," Bisciotti said. http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-40016113-4
Bummer, Pittsburgh's next HC /sarca

Quote:
@jeffzrebiecsun
Bisciotti said Newsome will step down as GM next year and DeCosta will take over. https://twitter.com/jeffzrebiecsun/stat ... 9499315202
Fire Colbert hire Newsome? /sarca


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ravens changes?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:34 am
Posts: 5498
Newsome has been HORRIBLE . From what I read, when Newsome signed his last deal in 2013 it was 5 years and was going to be his last before he retired. They built into it a transition for the next guy to become the GM (forget his name). That transition is starting now. Apparently this was all planned out in 2013

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ravens changes?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:57 pm
Posts: 3142
Once they signed Flacco, i said lets see how he does now.

For GMs, look at their performance AFTER they sign a franchise QB. Money is now tighter for those FA. The draft is far more important. Harder to handle draft mistakes.

_________________
To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
- Henri Poincaré


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ravens changes?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:35 pm
Posts: 7606
So the strategy is to do what the Steelers did before. Assemble a championship caliber team sans QB, somehow suck for a season, draft a franchise QB, then win a couple super bowls before his C2 kicks in.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ravens changes?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:57 pm
Posts: 3142
Poltargyst wrote:
So the strategy is to do what the Steelers did before. Assemble a championship caliber team sans QB, somehow suck for a season, draft a franchise QB, then win a couple super bowls before his C2 kicks in.


Worked for the Steelers. Worked for Seattle. Worked for Philly.

_________________
To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
- Henri Poincaré


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ravens changes?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 11317
jebrick wrote:
For GMs, look at their performance AFTER they sign a franchise QB. Money is now tighter for those FA. The draft is far more important. Harder to handle draft mistakes.


That may have been true 5 years ago. But the cap has been going up so much in recent years that not many difference-makers in FA are hitting the open market. So it's all about the draft now (and franchise QB), and the occasional above-average FA that slips thru the cracks.

Leveon Bell-types just don't hit the open market, unless they are the rare Leveon Bell who takes the tag twice so he can become a FA (which, if I was a player, is probably the correct EV play). With the declining tv ratings, all this could be changing and the caps could stagnate and FA pick-up again as a result.

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ravens changes?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:57 pm
Posts: 3142
Kodiak wrote:
jebrick wrote:
For GMs, look at their performance AFTER they sign a franchise QB. Money is now tighter for those FA. The draft is far more important. Harder to handle draft mistakes.


That may have been true 5 years ago. But the cap has been going up so much in recent years that not many difference-makers in FA are hitting the open market. So it's all about the draft now (and franchise QB), and the occasional above-average FA that slips thru the cracks.

Leveon Bell-types just don't hit the open market, unless they are the rare Leveon Bell who takes the tag twice so he can become a FA (which, if I was a player, is probably the correct EV play). With the declining tv ratings, all this could be changing and the caps could stagnate and FA pick-up again as a result.


It is still about managing the cap after the franchise player. How many 1st and 2nd round C$2 are able to be played? The Steelers have not had the dip that the Chargers or the Giants have had. Their drafts have kept them afloat. Even the Packers have had 1 year in the past 10 where they drafted top 10. The Ravens fell off the pedestal after signing Flacco. Miss on those drafts and the money for FA piles up to make up for the failed picks.

The Steelers will need a correction soon. I hope they let Bell walk as it is better for the team in the long run. But they will not.

_________________
To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
- Henri Poincaré


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ravens changes?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 11317
jebrick wrote:
Their drafts have kept them afloat. Even the Packers have had 1 year in the past 10 where they drafted top 10. The Ravens fell off the pedestal after signing Flacco.



True, although with BAL the problem is they paid Flacco like a franchise guy, and he sucks PLUS been really hurt. Eli has always been up-and-down and has never been impressive or great, even in his 2 SB runs.

PIT has not drafted particularly well, however they HAVE drafted well enough to fill those 8-9 high paid slots around a HOF QB. Those 8-10 guys are able to carry them and cover up other weaknesses. But either coaching, drafting or both those other jimmy's-and-joe's are why they don't go deeper in the playoffs.

The guys who are really overrated are the ones with Rivers, Brees and Rodgers. Especially Brees and Rodgers - you play in the NFC, don't have Ben/Brady/Peyton to worry about and you've only won 2 NFC championships combined?!?

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ravens changes?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:34 am
Posts: 5498
Kodiak wrote:
jebrick wrote:
Their drafts have kept them afloat. Even the Packers have had 1 year in the past 10 where they drafted top 10. The Ravens fell off the pedestal after signing Flacco.



True, although with BAL the problem is they paid Flacco like a franchise guy, and he sucks PLUS been really hurt. Eli has always been up-and-down and has never been impressive or great, even in his 2 SB runs.

PIT has not drafted particularly well, however they HAVE drafted well enough to fill those 8-9 high paid slots around a HOF QB. Those 8-10 guys are able to carry them and cover up other weaknesses. But either coaching, drafting or both those other jimmy's-and-joe's are why they don't go deeper in the playoffs.

The guys who are really overrated are the ones with Rivers, Brees and Rodgers. Especially Brees and Rodgers - you play in the NFC, don't have Ben/Brady/Peyton to worry about and you've only won 2 NFC championships combined?!?


Saints had one of the best drafts in a long time this past year. They may have turned the corner.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ravens changes?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:14 am
Posts: 2420
Location: Houston, TX
Kodiak wrote:
jebrick wrote:
Their drafts have kept them afloat. Even the Packers have had 1 year in the past 10 where they drafted top 10. The Ravens fell off the pedestal after signing Flacco.



True, although with BAL the problem is they paid Flacco like a franchise guy, and he sucks PLUS been really hurt.


Flacco also lost his Gronk due to hip injuries.

_________________
R S wrote:
I'm sure she still wakes up in cold sweats and night terrors of Peyton's wrinkly ball sack pitter-pattering on her forehead.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group