It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alex Smiff to Skins
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:55 pm 

Trade being finalized to the SKins.

Wow, major downgrade at QB for the skins. They have no weapons to put around Smiff. Smiff isn't a QB that will elevate those around him.

Post subject: Re: Alex Smiff to Skins
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:29 am 

Does this mean Cousins to the Browns? To the Cardinals? Hell, even the Doncos?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:33 am 

Orangesteel wrote:

I think the teams in play are:

Jags (would have to move Bortles)
Buffalo
Denver
Arizona (Palmer retired)
Cincy
Jets
Cleveland

Cousins has said he'd value ability to contend more than $$$. I don't think Cousins over Bortles is enough upgrade to motivate JAX to do that deal. My guess is Denver or Buffalo, Cincy, Jets, and AZ have an outside shot.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:01 am 

I've heard that Denver is the front runner for Cousins, a friend of mine in the scouting community said a deal supposedly has been in place.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:33 am 

smithessmokin wrote:
I've heard that Denver is the front runner for Cousins, a friend of mine in the scouting community said a deal supposedly has been in place.

Denver making another aggressive move in free agency to get them back to the Super Bowl. Wouldn't surprise me. Must be nice!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:22 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:

Buffalo
Denver
Arizona (Palmer retired)
Cincy
Jets
Cleveland

Cousins has said he'd value ability to contend more than $$$. I don't think Cousins over Bortles is enough upgrade to motivate JAX to do that deal. My guess is Denver or Buffalo, Cincy, Jets, and AZ have an outside shot.

Id wager Cousins ends up in Denver but i could see Buff throwin alot of cash at him as well. However, you dont think Cousins is a major upgrade over Bortles? WOW!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:15 pm 

R S wrote:
smithessmokin wrote:

Denver making another aggressive move in free agency to get them back to the Super Bowl. Wouldn't surprise me. Must be nice!

An aggressive move? Cousins will be, at best, the 3rd or 4th best QB in that division and Denver's defense (which already had lost two great players from its heyday) will now lose Talib, too. Good luck.

If Cousins wants to contend, he tries to make himself attractive to Jacksonville. Otherwise, he's got Brady in his division, or KC/Chargers, or Ben/Baltimore. Jacksonville with even a slightly better QB is an easy division winner-- and it's the only one of those teams that can say that.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:24 pm 

GreekSteel wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:

Buffalo
Denver
Arizona (Palmer retired)
Cincy
Jets
Cleveland

Id wager Cousins ends up in Denver but i could see Buff throwin alot of cash at him as well. However, you dont think Cousins is a major upgrade over Bortles? WOW!

No. I thought Cousins was great last year but now I think they're very close to the same level QB. In fact, advanced stats had Bortles just ahead of Cousins: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb

Could be that Cousins just had a down year and that he'd be a lot better with Jacksonville's offense... but Bortles kind of came on this year. Is it a fluke? He was TERRIBLE in the preseason but, I thought, played pretty well in the postseason, given his abilities.

I wouldn't pay top dollar for Cousins, because I don't think it's a smart play for any of those teams. Swing for the fences with the upside QBs in the draft, because it's cheaper (especially when you're wrong), if you fail you get another set of high picks, and while you're developing the guy, Brady-Ben-Rivers will be fading into the sunset.

Buffalo would be one potential exception. They do seem like they could win if nothing changed and they could just add a dynamic, ballsy QB... but that sure as hell ain't Cousins. Hell, Sean Lauletta is Cousins-lite, is an upgrade from Tyrod, and he'll be there when Buffalo drafts in Round 2.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:29 pm 

If any advanced stat shows you that Bortles is as good as Cousins, throw it in the trash. Its called an off year, for Wash. Maybe Cousins is licking his chops to face Tomlins defense after what a jag (and jag might be high praise) like Bortles just did to it. Buff with throw alot of cash at him no doubt..i think its Den or Buff, possibly Jax as well..great defense and warm weather, Robinson back, ya i could see that one as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:15 pm 

Like I said-- Cousins has had his moments the last couple of years, and I understand what went down in DC this year... but even without advanced stats I think the two QBs are at least in adjacent tiers... not a significant difference in terms of winning. I would have said Cousins had a bit higher highs, but Bortles just dropped 38 on Pittsburgh and nearly beat NE in HeadsetsDon'tWorksBoro. In payoff games.

I think Denver's needle is pointed downwards. Buffalo's is even. Jacksonville's, Pittsburgh's, NE's are even. KC is up. Don't know about LAC or Oak.

Denver would be light years better off taking a chance on one of the dynamic QBs in the draft and adding a less expensive/less-hyped vet QB in FA.

B2B's Pre-draft 2018 QB tiers:
Brady
Ben
Russell Wilson
Rodgers
Brees
Wentz
Newton
Matt Stafford
Matt Ryan
Rivers
Watson