It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CBA talks to ramp up
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:52 pm 

Quote:
Talks between the NFL and the NFLPA aimed at reaching a new collective bargaining agreement are set to intensify in July in an effort to secure a new deal before the start of the 2019 regular season, sources close to the negotiations told ESPN. https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/271 ... -nfl-nflpa
Sounds promising...

Post subject: Re: CBA talks to ramp up
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:30 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Quote:
Talks between the NFL and the NFLPA aimed at reaching a new collective bargaining agreement are set to intensify in July in an effort to secure a new deal before the start of the 2019 regular season, sources close to the negotiations told ESPN. https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/271 ... -nfl-nflpa
Sounds promising...

Fat chance for that deal before the season. I wouldn’t hold my breathe this happens quickly. I think its gonna get ugly.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:12 pm 

What doe$ it take to $ell out the players?

The Owners will give up weed and ??

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:57 pm 

I'm hopeful it will be hammered out. I think both sides will want to expedite the process so there's no stoppage of the 2019 season.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:41 am 

Yeah as they could be onto something!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:31 pm 

jebrick wrote:

Roger might be smarter that we give him credit for - maybe he's been holding out weed and player discipline as a bargaining chip the players really care about that the owners don't.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:13 am 

Kodiak wrote:
jebrick wrote:

Roger might be smarter that we give him credit for - maybe he's been holding out weed and player discipline as a bargaining chip the players really care about that the owners don't.

The Owners want more money. What crumbs must be thrown to the players to get more money?
Weed and a disciplinary committee for an 18 game season and less health care after NFL?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:31 am 

The trend over the last CBA has The Cap going up an average of $10Mil every year. That's pretty damn good when you think about it. The Players/Players Union aren't stupid. They'll want a bigger piece of the pie going forward. Which they've earned IMHO. I think the weed scenario will still be a taboo issue as it is still considered a schedule 1 drug and still illegal by Federal standards. I'm guessing the NFL won't rock that boat. The 18 game season is still a goal of the NFL's undoubtedly. I could see that being disastrous if they don't make other similar changes to account for the extended season. Increasing the roster number from 53 would be one way. Eliminating 2 Pre-Season games would be another way. When it comes right down to it money is the root of the negotiations. The players want more. The owners want more. Perhaps the players union negate some of that instant wealth to ensure longer term health care after their pro careers? To me that's a no brainer. Sacrifice some wealth now for health care later. I'm sure the whole process will become a circus no doubt. Fascinating to all other pro sports industries as well as fans everywhere.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:46 pm 

I so do not want an 18 game schedule.

#CdnSteelerFanStrong

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:09 pm 

Me either. Will Just make the game shittier and shittier every year as they've done over the last decade.

Money grubbing fucks can’t leave well enough alone.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:57 am 

SteelThrillsseeker wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:
Quote:
Sounds promising...

Fat chance for that deal before the season. I wouldn’t hold my breathe this happens quickly. I think its gonna get ugly.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:56 am 

NFL suspended its full time officials program due to CBA talks

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/271 ... ng-program

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:43 pm 

So the owners want 18 games, and it's being floated that they may expand rosters and limit players to 16 games. And you know what 2 more games means - more time to "ease" into the season!

Aside from the obvious issues, it would be a challenging roster management exercise. Every player gets banged up, and many miss a game or two. So do you just wait for a guy to get hurt? Or how do you schedule it - JuJu sits Wk5 and Wk10, and Vance sits Wk6 and Wk11....or do you throw all your back-ups out there and take an expected 2 L's?

Only thing I know is Tomlin would fuck this up horribly.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:55 pm 

There is no coach who wants to lose those preseason games. Getting rid of them means less of a product again. Might as well count them as the regular season for the NFL owners. Just keep playing during the cut down.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:59 am 

jebrick wrote:
There is no coach who wants to lose those preseason games. Getting rid of them means less of a product again. Might as well count them as the regular season for the NFL owners. Just keep playing during the cut down.

2 preseason games....I didn't think many NFL coaches wanted 4-5. The last preseason game is completely useless. First one is more debatable

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:06 am 

Kodiak wrote:
jebrick wrote:

2 preseason games....I didn't think many NFL coaches wanted 4-5. The last preseason game is completely useless. First one is more debatable

Cowher and Tomlin have said they would play in as many preseason games as they could get. THey need to evaluate players. Ask Ramon Foster or any other UDFA how important those games are.

We have already seen a drop in readiness and skill level after the CBA cut down the practice time. Football players need time to learn to be football players. People complain about easing into the season and want to get rid of more prep time? The 1st month will be easing into the season for all the teams.

Foster, the Steelers NFLPA has some good tweets on the subject

https://twitter.com/RamonFoster