It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Todd Gurley's knee
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:13 pm 

This is why they do not empty the bank on RBs. My bet is Gurley is cut by next year.

Quote:
After months of head-scratching about what might have been up with Rams running back Todd Gurley in the playoffs and the Super Bowl, there’s finally an answer: His knee is pretty messed up.

First, there was this from John Breech of CBS Sports:

The Rams currently have Gurley on an offseason regimen in hopes of getting him completely healthy for the 2019 season, but if that doesn’t work or if his knee regresses, the team may consider stem cell treatment for their star running back, according to a team source.

Post subject: Re: Todd Gurley's knee
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:13 pm 

jebrick wrote:
This is why they do not empty the bank on RBs. My bet is Gurley is cut by next year.

Also completely vindicates/justifies Bell's stance.

The NFL probably needs to think about how to give these guys more guaranteed money, and then figure out how to police cap relief for legitimate career ending injuries.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:15 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
jebrick wrote:

Also completely vindicates/justifies Bell's stance.

The NFL probably needs to think about how to give these guys more guaranteed money, and then figure out how to police cap relief for legitimate career ending injuries.

no, it doesn't justify Bell's stance. He should have taken the 2017 deal offerred; he'd be ahead now and (if he had a deteriorated knee) could retire with extra millions in his pocket.
Quote:
The basics are that Bell agreed to a four-year deal with the Jets that is reportedly worth somewhere between $52 million and $61 million, with $35 million guaranteed.

As you may recall, the Steelers offered Bell a five-year deal worth $70 million before last season. NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport outlined that failed offer as a $10 million signing bonus, totaling $33 in guarantees over the first two years and $45 over the first three years.

While analyzing this news, keep in mind, Bell turned his nose up at a $14.54 million franchise tag to play last year. So he left the money on the table, plus he ditched a year of his career in his prime to make an extra $2 million in guaranteed cash before the end of 2019.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:40 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
As you may recall, the Steelers offered Bell a five-year deal worth $70 million before last season. NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport outlined that failed offer as a $10 million signing bonus, totaling $33 in guarantees over the first two years and $45 over the first three years.

While analyzing this news, keep in mind, Bell turned his nose up at a $14.54 million franchise tag to play last year. So he left the money on the table, plus he ditched a year of his career in his prime to make an extra $2 million in guaranteed cash before the end of 2019.

I've seen this mentioned in a bunch of different places, but I feel like I'm missing something, probably due to either my lack of knowledge on the NFL contracts, reading comprehension, or possibly bad recollection of how this all went down.

The premise of that statement seems to imply that by not signing the Steelers offer and holding out on the franchise tag, he missed out on the Steelers contract, PLUS the 14M+ from the franchise tag.

But, if he would have signed the Steelers offer, wouldn't that have meant the franchise tag wouldn't have happened? I'm confused as to how he would have gotten the new contract, with the franchise money on top of that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:45 pm 

Once a player signs the franchise tag that is the money they get that year. They can negotiate and extension or new contract but the franchise tag number is set for that year unless the team wants to give the player a higher salary or add bonuses into an extension.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:47 am 

stillthere wrote:
Once a player signs the franchise tag that is the money they get that year. They can negotiate and extension or new contract but the franchise tag number is set for that year unless the team wants to give the player a higher salary or add bonuses into an extension.

But the Steelers offered Bell that contract before the 2018 season even began, which I assume means he never would have been franchised if he would have decided to take that deal.

And that's my confusion as to why I keep hearing people talk like he would have gotten both. Unless I"m missing something, it seems much more of an "either or" type of deal.