It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AFCN rookie watch & round up
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:30 am 

Ravens v Skins:

Here are the rookies from Ravens I watched:

Tyus Bowser: looked fast and even explosive at times. Had some decent pass rush but it was v scrubs. Overall impressive and looks like Rats have a player.

Tim Williams: looked the complete opposite of Bowser: slow, cumbersome and showed zero explosion. He had one nice play (unblocked) an outside to inside rush. Outside of that in both pass rush and run defense he got swallowed and dominated. Maybe he is carrying an injury or thinking to much but early impression: glad Steelers didn't go anywhere near this guy.

Jermaine Eluemenor: had a solid game, not great in run blocking but very solid in pass pro. Redskins didn't blitz or stunt much at all until he was out of game...

Chris Wormley: very quiet, of all the Ravens Dlineman might have been only one not to do anything.

Other notes: Ravens dline looks very, very good but I will caveat it with this: they're going to be great v run but I have my doubts on pass rush. Urban had a monster game but it came v Redskins 2nd and 3rd teamers: Skins 1st team oline played 3 downs.

Skins: no one stood out. Perinne looked awful was only rookie I paid attention to. He looked slow, hesitant and even with room no real explosion.

Browns v Saints:

Myles Garrett: had some moments but is a work in progress. He is super long and used his hands well to exploit his length (yeah yeah).

Njoku: DNP

Peppers: didn't get targeted at all on D or make a tackle. So really couldn't make an eval. He did have one nice punt return.

D. Kizer: all the BS hype about Watson? Well Kizer looked a far, far better prospect (yes it is early to conclude that). He had a few poor throws but overall he looked very good. His deep throws were on the money and he stood in the pocket with heavy pressure and delivered. Yes he was playing v future insurance salesmen but I was still impressed.

Browns are still a gigantic mess. Their WR group sucks ass. Right Tackle spot will be a liability: both candidates fighting for starting spot stunk. Jamie Collins looks their best player and Dline in middle especially...horrible.

Saints notes: Kamara: looks like a future star. He was explosive & elusive. I for one am damn happy Ravens didn't get him in 3rd (they need an offensive stud badly). One game but after watching 5 games this week Kamara stood out. By far most impressive rookie I've seen.

Tommy Lee Lewis WR: had no clue who guy was but he made plays all over the field for Saints.

Saints D is putrid.

Post subject: Re: AFCN rookie watch & round up
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:48 pm 

Game Bengals v Bucs:

Ross: he was dressed but wasn't targeted and then sat down after first series. A bit odd considering he is a rook.

Nixon: flashed and looks like Bengals future. Must say he didn't explode on screen like Kamara did.

Lawson: had a few decent pass rushes but struggled in run game especially and in space.

Willis: wow is that guy stiff. Had two pressures and a sack. His sack came off a great anticipation of snap count (replay showed he was offside). He looks ok but super stiff. His pressures came from bull rush. Looks like he can't bend to tie his shoe laces.

Jackson (2nd yr but pretty much a rook): got beat few times, had a nice pass break and blitz.

Billings (same as Jackson): had moments but is strictly a phone booth player has zero lateral ability. A slightly nastier Shade tree.

Overall: Dalton had his one WTF moment. Green looks damn good. Bengals oline held up fairly well.

Tampa: OJ Howard can sure block but I don't remember Tampa throwing to him at all.

Noah Spence will have double digit sacks. Hargrave despite one nice Int is overrated. He gets pushed about in press way to easily.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:48 pm 

Bucs release former second round K Roberto Aguayo.

Was he really that bad?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:17 am 

jebrick wrote:
Bucs release former second round K Roberto Aguayo.

Was he really that bad?

Yes he was. Only reason they kept him last season was round he was drafted in. Pause for a moment and consider what Tampa did: they drafted a fucking kicker in 2nd round. It is things like this that highlight exactly why the non stop criticism on this board for failed draft picks is so narrow and often ignorant.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:21 pm 

I watched a few other games. Taco Charlton looks like a good fit as a 4-3 DE for Dallas. Kenny Golloday looks like a seasoned pro who could end up being Detroit's primary target-- he looked pretty good as a college player but he fits right in as a pro. Will be interesting to see if he can sustain this start for Detroit.

Mahomes was pretty much everything expected. He made some great throws, including one 'son, you are going to make me lose my job if you keep making throws like that' TD pass, where he rolled out and no-looked an across the body jump ball to a guy who stopped against the grain. Hell of a play but degree of difficulty, cojones in Favre-Rodgers-Ben-Elway territory.

I wasn't a big Kareem Hunt fan coming out but he looked solid. Chris Carson had a couple of nice plays for Seattle, working primarily in short yardage.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:35 am 

I'm wondering if Josh Gordon will make an appearance this year.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:57 am 

Quote:
The New England Patriots fear they have lost rookie defensive end Derek Rivers for the entire season due to a knee injury, league sources told ESPN on Friday.

Rivers, who was New England's top pick in the 2017 NFL draft as a third-round choice out of Youngstown State, went down on a kickoff coverage drill Wednesday in a joint practice with the Houston Texans. Head athletic trainer Jim Whalen examined Rivers' left knee on the field.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:58 am 

R S wrote:
I'm wondering if Josh Gordon will make an appearance this year.

Nope. The league made a comment that they are not even considering it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:55 pm 

Peppers looks great in punt returns. Not sure if he can play safety but he is electric in the return game.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:26 pm 

Yeah as Deshine Kizer just named starter, first rookie QB of 2017 to do so.