It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pathetic fans cross the line
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:19 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
JackSplat58 wrote:
I believe Bradshaw was also hung in effigy, in the early 70s, at Three Rivers. There is a picture of it on one of the NFL Films presentations (I looked, I couldn't find it on the Interwebs).

What makes it touchy is the history of lynchings in this country and the fact that Burflict is black. But it's possible or even likely that the intent of the hangers was not racial in nature, just an unfortunate side effect of their hatred.

People should probably think through their actions a bit more thoroughly before doing something like that. There probably was a more racially sensitive way of communicating the same hatred.

But sometimes the thought process is interrupted with beer.

Mmmhhhh, beer....

I would think that it's almost certain that this had nothing due to with anything other than hating Vontez Burfict....which is fairly common!

That is a very naive assumption to make.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:26 pm 

fortythree wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:
JackSplat58 wrote:
I believe Bradshaw was also hung in effigy, in the early 70s, at Three Rivers. There is a picture of it on one of the NFL Films presentations (I looked, I couldn't find it on the Interwebs).

What makes it touchy is the history of lynchings in this country and the fact that Burflict is black. But it's possible or even likely that the intent of the hangers was not racial in nature, just an unfortunate side effect of their hatred.

People should probably think through their actions a bit more thoroughly before doing something like that. There probably was a more racially sensitive way of communicating the same hatred.

But sometimes the thought process is interrupted with beer.

Mmmhhhh, beer....

I would think that it's almost certain that this had nothing due to with anything other than hating Vontez Burfict....which is fairly common!

That is a very naive assumption to make.

Call it what you will....but I bet it's the correct one.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:50 pm 

Damn it's just fandom - not racially motivated at all! It's not like this was the first time it has ever been done. It was just done with Brady last week, so their is plenty of evidence to suggest that Burfict was not racially chosen, but this is one person's way of celebrating his fandom and hatred for other teams players. If you wanna read more into it, help yourself. I personally think that people need to look in the mirror and ask where their man balls went to. Constantly living in the past (like immediately thinking of the perceived threat to hang a black man like the slave days or KKK), doesn't prepare you for the future. Ya truly want to look to the future, build it from your heart, not your brain and the knowledge of the past.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:56 pm 

"Having balls" does not excuse anyone from being racially insensitive.

What to you is "no big deal" regarding our racist past is still traumatic to a lot of Americans. The wound is fresh.

The people who did this may not have meant anything racist, but I'd like to think that if called on it they would qualify that this wasn't their intention and apologize for that part of it.

There are plenty of reasons to hate that scumbag besides bringing race into it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:04 pm 

I don't see anything wrong with it.

Just get ole James "Silverback" Harrison to use those big monkey paws of his to climb up that flag pole and pull it down.

:ugeek:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:24 pm 

I'd think we should be able to prove our accusations.

Typically, when depicting a specific individual, I'd assume it was done in enmity for that individual, not for his race.

But perhaps Bills fans really do hate white people when they hang Brady effigies. Or pro-immigration groups do hate white people when they hang Trump effigies as protest to immigration laws.

I've got no proof either way, so I won't stoop to accusing anyone of racism here, only of acting in a vile manner.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:24 pm 

Miter Saw wrote:
I'd think we should be able to prove our accusations.

Typically, when depicting a specific individual, I'd assume it was done in enmity for that individual, not for his race.

But perhaps Bills fans really do hate white people when they hang Brady effigies. Or pro-immigration groups do hate white people when they hang Trump effigies as protest to immigration laws.

I've got no proof either way, so I won't stoop to accusing anyone of racism here, only of acting in a vile manner.

Well said

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:25 pm 

There's a little difference to your theory.

Our country doesn't have a history of lynching black people for being, well, black.

Carry on.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:35 pm 

alancac98 wrote:
Damn it's just fandom - not racially motivated at all! It's not like this was the first time it has ever been done. It was just done with Brady last week, so their is plenty of evidence to suggest that Burfict was not racially chosen, but this is one person's way of celebrating his fandom and hatred for other teams players. If you wanna read more into it, help yourself. I personally think that people need to look in the mirror and ask where their man balls went to. Constantly living in the past (like immediately thinking of the perceived threat to hang a black man like the slave days or KKK), doesn't prepare you for the future. Ya truly want to look to the future, build it from your heart, not your brain and the knowledge of the past.

This might be the worst logic I've ever seen used to justify an opinion on this site.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:54 pm 

As crude and childish as it is, it only carries any meaning if folks react to it. Reading too much into it folks. Like 43 stated. How do we even know a Steelers fan did that? It isn't like Burfict hasn't done anything to warrant crude childish lashing out either, right? Doesn't mean it's ok to do either. Two wrongs and that whole ideology....
I heard about the chiefs visiting the raiders for a game one year where raider fans were actually throwing 'D' size batteries at the chiefs players from the stands. Shit gets outta hand. I don't condone this behavior and If folks understood that by reacting to this individual act they are in fact given it increasingly more credence. When will folks learn to ignore the little shit?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next