It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Star Trek Discovery
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:56 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:
I only saw the first half hour but thought it was kind of lame. I'll watch it later but I'm not happy that I have to shell out if I want to see it on subscription.

One other thing-why do they have to change the Klingons physical makeup nearly every offshoot of the original?

There's confusion over what timeline this is- by all appearances it's the altered timeline of the new movies, but there's been conflicting reports from the production staff on that.

That makes sense because this version of Klingons is much like the ones from the Chris Pine movies.

One thing that has always bothered me about any of the Treks is that they obviously have ignored Relativity or failed to explain how Einsteins version was wrong or not complete. I think that Voyager tried vaguely but never gave us a complete explanation.
For example in the last season of Voyager the ship and crew are observing a binary system. Heavy gravity is present so they have to stay on the cusp or face being pulled in and possibly destroyed. They totally ignore time slippage. At the end Janeway sends the ship through the binary and because it is TV the ship barely makes it through. So if that were to be true then their time relative to the time on Earth would be much slower and everyone on Earth would be significantly older when they did return. They totally ignored that.

And what about time dilation and the speed of light?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:01 pm 

I only watched it because I was too enraged from the game to do anything productive afterwards.

It was really fucking lame.

Ultimately, America's answer to the intolerant man is diversity, the very diversity which our heritage of religious freedom has inspired.

Robert F. Kennedy...50 years ago.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:53 pm 

I've been a big Trek fan since watching TOS as a 1st grader on... In 1st grade it was scary and intense. I loved Star Trek most of my life.

These last few modernized iterations aren't fun for me, I guess I like the idea of men from the '60s, kind of like the Rat Pack at Warp 8, going into deep space and screwing alien women and getting smashed on Romulan ale, better than a... going PC to where no PERSON cis or gender neutral has gone before.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:14 pm 

Caught the second episode online last night. Stop reading now if you haven't seen and don't want to be mini-spoiled.

Slightly better..still a little meh.

A LOT of development of character stories for a character that dies at the end of the episode. I guess they had to get the most out of Michelle Yeoh while they had her, though.

Two episodes into Star Trek Discovery, and the USS Discovery has yet to make an appearance.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:32 pm 

Nick79 wrote:
I guess I like the idea of men from the '60s, kind of like the Rat Pack at Warp 8, going into deep space and screwing alien women and getting smashed on Romulan ale, better than a... going PC to where no PERSON cis or gender neutral has gone before.

Might be your best post ever, sir. + 1000.

I too (gulp!) remember staying up on that school night for the September 1966 premiere.

Didn't hate or love the new one -- has potential and much better than the JJ versions so far. Although as we watched, my 12-year-old kept predicting and nailed every plot development about 4 minutes before it happened :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:58 pm 

franco>madden wrote:
Didn't hate or love the new one -- has potential and much better than the JJ versions so far. Although as we watched, my 12-year-old kept predicting and nailed every plot development about 4 minutes before it happened :lol:

I still enjoy the occasional episode of the original Capt. Kirk series. The campiness and horrid special effects still has an appeal that goes beyond nostalgia (which I think is partly why the original Sharknado, and some other Sci Fi "monstrosities", have become such cult classics).

Give me good drama, writing and acting over the special effects any day. Special effects aren't what carry good sci-fi, except occasionally when you have a huge budget blockbuster (but special effects in blockbusters have become kind of a commodity).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:55 pm 

Caught episode 3.

A quantum leap up in quality...echoes of Deep Space Nine at its morally ambiguous finest.

And Jason Isaacs is a terrific actor.

It picked up a load of steam this episode, even with a kind of unbelieveable tech development.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"