It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: AMZN East...Burgh in the running?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:24 pm 

Pabst wrote:
The entire process is bogus. Amazon knows damn well where they intend to go, they're just using this process to gain incentives from that city.

^^^THIS ^^^ in spades!!

I told my wife that I hope it does not come to Indy. The area has already gotten ass rapped by the Colts on the Stadium deal.

One of the spots in Indy is fairly near my house so if they do show up, my house price will increase by about $100K

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:02 am 

LGBT community up and arms about Amazon considering cities with where gays are legally allowed to be persecuted. :roll:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/201 ... 082126001/

Talk about faux outrage.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:53 am 

They just jumped the shark going after Rose McGowan for no good reason. Now she had to cancel her book tour because of one idiot.

Her story makes me sad. At one time she was pretty delicious and a damn good talent. Glad Weinstein is going down but sadly the movement is turning into unfocused hysteria.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:40 pm 

Amazon split the baby by deciding to have two HQ2 sites...NYC and D.C. They will be getting $2.5 billion in corporate welfare. BTW, these areas are about as blue as can possibly be on the political spectrum. Funny how tax breaks for businesses in general is bad, but making it rain Benjamins for Bezos is all good.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:56 pm 

SteelPro wrote:
Amazon split the baby by deciding to have two HQ2 sites...NYC and D.C. They will be getting $2.5 billion in corporate welfare. BTW, these areas are about as blue as can possibly be on the political spectrum. Funny how tax breaks for businesses in general is bad, but making it rain Benjamins for Bezos is all good.
Who said it was good? Mayor DeBlasio didn't want amazon in NYC, Cuomo did, but he's looking at it as a state issue since NYC feeds the rest of the rural red state. It's had plenty of resistance.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:22 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
SteelPro wrote:
Who said it was good? Mayor DeBlasio didn't want amazon in NYC, Cuomo did, but he's looking at it as a state issue since NYC feeds the rest of the rural red state. It's had plenty of resistance.

Yes, I'm painting a broad brush here. I acknowledge some democrats have spoken out about how much money was thrown at them. Though De Blasio wasn't one of them. He stated time and time again that he wanted them to come to "NYC". He did say NYC wouldn't give them a huge break to make it happen. NYC ultimately gave them a huge tax break. De Blasio also stated in his presser that he was thrilled they chose NY. This would not happen if the bulk of the political establishment didn't support it. Whether you reside in a Red or Blue state corporate welfare is alive and well.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:42 pm 

SteelPro wrote:
COR-TEN wrote:
SteelPro wrote:

Yes, I'm painting a broad brush here. I acknowledge some democrats have spoken out about how much money was thrown at them. Though De Blasio wasn't one of them. He stated time and time again that he wanted them to come to "NYC". He did say NYC wouldn't give them a huge break to make it happen. NYC ultimately gave them a huge tax break. De Blasio also stated in his presser that he was thrilled they chose NY. This would not happen if the bulk of the political establishment didn't support it. Whether you reside in a Red or Blue state corporate welfare is alive and well.
https://www.businessinsider.com/bill-de-blasio-amazon-hq2-destructive-to-communities-new-york-city-2017-10

https://www.crainsnewyork.com/real-esta ... -francisco

DeBlasio's position is how amazon will contribute to the infrastructure and affordable housing. I don't know the details of the agreement. All I know is that LIC is not prepared to support 25,000 new workers at that location from a transportation standpoint, and it will gentrify most of the communities that support the big wigs in manhattan. Amazon says it will contribute $4B. The newly elected representative has opposed the plan. DeBlasio and Cuomo must have come to some sort of agreement, but I disagree with you that both liberal and conservatives ipso facto suck corporate ass. Just look at liz warren, otherwise mockingly known as pocahontas.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:14 am 

what a disgrace...each of those LIC jobs is costing the NY taxpayer 48K.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... al/575539/

glad PGH didn't get it...I agree with this author...the system is completely designed to make oligarchs richer. BTW they vote Democrat.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:26 pm 

You have to hand it to Bezos...he did the impossible...Tucker Carlson and Rep. Ocasia-Cortez both are united against him.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:47 pm 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
You have to hand it to Bezos...he did the impossible...Tucker Carlson and Rep. Ocasia-Cortez both are united against him.

Bezos is brilliant. He is a douchebag, but he is brilliant. This whole ordeal was essentially a ploy to sweeten the pot for where he wanted to expand to anyway. By the way, I don't think this is truly over. It is a two horse race now that will take years to fully play out. But eventually one of these locations will prove be bigger winners (or losers, depending on how you view it). And on top of the sweet heart deals he got from NYC and North VA, he also got mounds of data and information on other locales basically handed to him. Amazon is privy to infrastructure plans (and pipe dreams) of dozens of cities that no other company has. It also has huge leverage for any other expansion it may want to consider down the road... even somewhat small endeavors like a new regional warehouse facility or a new AWS datacenter.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:43 pm 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
what a disgrace...each of those LIC jobs is costing the NY taxpayer 48K.

LOL....the author conveniently ignores large differences in tax rates from state to state DO justify such subsidies to attract companies.

It's a HUGE difference, from 0% (no personal or corporate tax) in a few states up to a top combined rate of over 15% in NY and 20% in CA.

And "costing" the taxpayer $48k is some funky math when you consider Amazon is going to generate over $20B in tax revenues the next 30 years. It didn't cost the taxpayer a fucking dime - that is just leftwing shit-stirring.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:02 pm 

To clarify, I have no problem with AMZN getting tax breaks, my beef is that smaller businesses without clout also don't get the same break.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:04 pm 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
To clarify, I have no problem with AMZN getting tax breaks, my beef is that smaller businesses without clout also don't get the same break.

Exactly. And frankly I hate the term “tax break”. Just lower the damn taxes across the board for all businesses. And specifically this Amazon HQ2 thing was such a scam. He is setting up shop in two cities where he has residences and spends considerable time. Seems pretty much what he wanted to do all along. So this whole dog and pony show was just a way to get to build what he wanted to build where he wanted to build it as cheaply as possible by setting up this sham competition to pit cities against each other. Was it smart? Sure. Was it unseemly? Hell yes! How much money and time did he waste of the cities that he had no intention of ever picking. Cities that he simply used to squeeze a few more dollars out of NYC and Northern VA.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:53 pm 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:

That's an entirely reasonable criticism.

But that's generally the case in every aspect of business, from supplier contracts to delivery contracts and even union agreements. Walmart turns to the screws so badly on mom&pop that it's essentially providing for keeping your lights on....to make money you have to find other customers (incidentally, that perfectly describes doctors and Medicare/Medicaid patients).

Is it fair? Maybe not, but then Amazon generates more consumer benefit than mom&pop. It's not an easy answer - Amazon is better for the consumer, but maybe not as good for the worker (generally, bigger companies do provide better wages and benefits than the local mom&pop competitors).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:02 pm 

SteelPro wrote:
Just lower the damn taxes across the board for all businesses. .

Entirely different thread...but with a few exceptions (like Apple sitting on billions), you don't need to tax business at all. Over 80% of business taxes are pass-thru, meaning there is effectively no "business tax" and it just flows thru to the owners individual 1040. The rest accrues to shareholders either via dividends, or share price appreciation.

For the rest, you could just raise capital gains to offset eliminating business taxes. The only hang-up there is you're not getting that revenue until shareholders sell.

There would be some crying from like 0.5% of the population, but you could eliminate business taxes along with eliminating capital gains....and make tax returns easier for many, many people in the process.

Business taxes have more to do with collection and enforcement efficiency and effectiveness than any actual need or justification. Every discussion about "maximizing revenues" implicitly ignores growth and wages.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:47 am 

Kodiak wrote:
SteelPro wrote:
Just lower the damn taxes across the board for all businesses. .

Entirely different thread...but with a few exceptions (like Apple sitting on billions), you don't need to tax business at all. Over 80% of business taxes are pass-thru, meaning there is effectively no "business tax" and it just flows thru to the owners individual 1040. The rest accrues to shareholders either via dividends, or share price appreciation.

For the rest, you could just raise capital gains to offset eliminating business taxes. The only hang-up there is you're not getting that revenue until shareholders sell.

There would be some crying from like 0.5% of the population, but you could eliminate business taxes along with eliminating capital gains....and make tax returns easier for many, many people in the process.

Business taxes have more to do with collection and enforcement efficiency and effectiveness than any actual need or justification. Every discussion about "maximizing revenues" implicitly ignores growth and wages.

All you say very much true for federal taxes. But state and local taxes are an entirely different ball game. Taxes can’t really pass through from corporations to individuals when most of the shareholders aren’t in the state levying the tax. And state and local corporate taxes as well as real estate is really where all the bartering occurs in these relocation deals.