It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: AMZN East...Burgh in the running?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:01 pm 

BethlehemSteel wrote:
StillerInCT wrote:
Old School Steeler wrote:
They might be w/holding their announcement to muster support for their move to buy Target. All of the muni's that hope to land the deal won't object to Amazon becoming a monopoly. After whole foods deal target deal cannot be allowed, they'll control too much of the supply side wholesalers. We have anti trust laws for a reason.

Depends on if they consider Target a supply side wholesaler or retailer and then from there figure out how much market share Amazon would control. But I agree Anti-Trust laws should block something like this. However, I doubt they will.

I think this time around, this deal will not happen. Amazon has killed off at least 5-10 big retailers so far.

Kroger is waiting, their deal with Ace on hold or shifted to something less than acquisition. Kids in law school might do well to intern with anti trust firms

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:42 pm 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
I'm guessing it comes down to Pitt, Nashville, Memphis, Charlotte or an about to be rebuilt Orlando.

50 K jobs is enormous, let's hope these cities don't get stupid about it though with the corporate welfare.

Depends what amazon values: worker pool or major tax subsidies?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:10 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
I'm guessing it comes down to Pitt, Nashville, Memphis, Charlotte or an about to be rebuilt Orlando.

50 K jobs is enormous, let's hope these cities don't get stupid about it though with the corporate welfare.

Depends what amazon values: worker pool or major tax subsidies?

Which is why I think they will go to Newark. Rich talent pool in NYC area and strong schools in Jersey (Rutgers, Princeton, Rowan). And Jersey has pitched a sweetheart deal rich on incentives and tax breaks. Basically Amazon is being given just about anything they want in either Newark or Camden. They can pick between greater NYC or greater Philly. The Camden offer has been rumored to include a pretty sizeable regionale airport in nearby Millville NJ (Home of Mike Trout).

New Jersey has offered up a $7 BILLION incentive package to Amazon for HQ2.
https://qz.com/1175659/the-darker-side- ... eepstakes/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:33 pm 

So are Camden in Newark no longer cesspools? I'm out of the loop.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:45 pm 

R S wrote:
So are Camden in Newark no longer cesspools? I'm out of the loop.

They are cesspools. But they have tons of real estate/buildings that are ripe to be taken over or even just razed to build a new campus. They have direct public transit in (and out) of two major cities. Camden is actually interesting as the waterfront, Rutgers-Camden, and areas around the two major hospitals is pretty nice. The commute from Camden to Center City Philly is just 5 minutes on the PATCO high speed line. Philly has a pretty sizable pool of engineering and tech talent to draw from. I don't think think current cesspool would scare amazon at all. It is probably beneficial for them to take over a diamond in rough as they can get it much cheaper. As long as trans and infrastructure is solid and the area talent pool is large they will likely be interested. $7 billion in incentives can polish up any turd.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:05 pm 

But those turds are petrified