It is currently Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The World over the next Billion years
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:59 pm 

I'm thinking folks will watch this in the future and laugh at our limited understanding/ignorance. I still find this stuff fascinating. Worth a watch.

Post subject: Re: The World over the next Billion years
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:11 pm 

Very fascinating and very depressing. Our time goes to fast.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:03 pm 

While there is a lot we don't know or understand well, I think the big stuff will probably be pretty close (stuff like the sun dying, supervolcanoes are known when not if, as is a large asteroid....)

No point in looking thousands of years into the future - I give humanity 1, maybe 2, centuries before the AI Robots wipe us out. Alternatively, will "humanity" even still be a biological form in 200 years?

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:44 am 

If you're a big fish loving person you may want to look into what exactly you're eating.
http://news.sky.com/story/microplastics ... r-10739835

Can we stop the massive pollution?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/pla ... 6f0781d426

So, to answer your question Kodiak.... I don't believe human beings will be 100% biological.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:49 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:
...I don't believe human beings will be 100% biological.

That's technically already a true statement.

I'm thinking transference/cloning, probably more than the singularity. Wouldn't surprise me if, within 200 years, we're at least putting our brains into a new synthetic or cloned body, assuming brain regeneration becomes a reality. We'll probably be able to achieve the former half of that equation well before the latter half.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:17 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:
...I don't believe human beings will be 100% biological.

That's technically already a true statement.

I'm thinking transference/cloning, probably more than the singularity. Wouldn't surprise me if, within 200 years, we're at least putting our brains into a new synthetic or cloned body, assuming brain regeneration becomes a reality. We'll probably be able to achieve the former half of that equation well before the latter half.
Humans stand a better chance of destroying the earth and life on it rather than making it better. History has proven as much. I'm not putting my eggs in one basket, and hope precautionary principals gain a foothold for the future.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:53 pm 

Off topic for a second.

Ten, who is the poor unfortunate dude in your sig?

Back on topic:
I agree with both Ten and Kodiak. We are by nature self destructive and have proven it over and over again. Past civilizations don't mysteriously just disappear. The World will out last human beings by eons. Kodiak is right. There are already folks walking around with artificial limbs. What's to say they haven't figured out how to create internal organs from simple skin cells or some other type cell.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:13 pm 

Ehhh, humans are pretty much like cockroaches at this point and would probably even survive global nuclear war if it didn't destroy the planet.

I think we have the capability to deflect or destroy a planetary-killer asteroid, except I think we've only identified like 2% of asteroids/comets flying around out there (and not even close to 100% of the big baddies).

There are a handful of supervolcanoes that we know will erupt some day, and that will likely result in hundreds of millions of deaths....worse, the resulting global food shortages could result in world wars (and nuclear).

We can probably expect a global pandemic to hit at some point, and that will be hundreds of millions of deaths and possibly lead to war (but perhaps not nuclear).

Aside from global nuclear war, I don't think man is going to wipe himself out. We've screwed this planet up plenty with industrialization, but we've also generally figured out how to fix it.

But AI might be a real threat. Not something we'll probably be able to contain, and realizing the threat long before it's too late.

Overpopulation has been a popular concern for decades, and technological advancements have always proven it folly. I think we may be a long ways from this being a reality, but eventually natural resources (not food and water, but things like copper and iron) will be a problem unless we are able to mine asteroids and nearby planets.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:31 pm 

Once the human population reaches 9+ Billion there will be food issues. There will not be enough land to grow food for so many people. Enter starvation leading to war resulting in mass death. Reducing the population by Billions. Either by leaving or simply dying off the world will still be here when we are gone...

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:55 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Once the human population reaches 9+ Billion there will be food issues.

Scientists have been saying that for decades, and have been continually wrong.

Granted, eventually we physically won't have the land no matter how high yields are. But then we'll be building skyscrapers filled with hydroponics and vertical farming capable of feeding half a city. Both methods have much higher water efficiency than traditional land-based crops.

Then you're going to say water, but desalinization is already a proven capability. It's the energy costs that are prohibitive at scale, but we're solving energy as well (albeit at a rather glacial pace).

I think the bigger problem is likely to be raw natural resources, and specifically rare earth metals used in our favorite technologies have no substitutes, or ones much less effective.