It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The World over the next Billion years
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:05 pm 

I do agree with a lot of what you post Kodiak. I get it. They've been 'continually' incorrect. That said, it only takes for them to be right once. I hope I'm not around when that day comes.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:58 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
That said, it only takes for them to be right once.

I don't disagree, but when these people talk about how our technology/population growth is going to kill us they always seem to ignore that technology is also the solution (proven over and over again). I think in 100 years the idea of farming open land will be like comparing airplanes to the horse and buggy.

There's no way you're going to see overpopulation become a real problem in your lifetime, or your kids', or probably even your grandkids' kids.

Energy is basically the one big thing unsolved, but that can be extended well into the future even after fossil fuels run out thanks to nuclear...

Otherwise, when the robots and AI introduce a hyper consumption curve and you have 20B people on the planet....will we have enough rare metals for everyone's cellphone?....will we even have enough copper for everyone's toaster?

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/06/24/vertical ... -tech.html
"We're growing in 16 days what otherwise takes 30 days in a field—using 95 percent less water, about 50 percent less fertilizers, zero pesticides, herbicides, fungicides,"

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:32 pm 

I have seen articles on line where China has actual greenhouses and actual acreage in top of skyscrapers already. The air quality alone at the top of a 10-15 story building is far better than at ground level. Not to mention there is constant sunlight where if at ground level shadowing plays into the photosynthesis process. Collecting as well as storing unpolluted rainwater makes farming on top of high rise buildings that much more efficient to boot.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:42 pm 

Sure is a lot of overconfident optimism in this thread. Predicting the unknown has always been a slippery slope, and relying on those predictions to inform current actions is even more of a slippery slope.

Technology can solve many things. On the other hand, there are just as many things it can't solve. Especially if some of the issues it purports to solve creates even bigger problems.

Believing that humans can solve every problem is naive, imo. Humans make mistakes because we are inherently flawed. That's not gonna change in a hundred or even a thousand years.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:54 pm 

How about a billion... :P

Seriously, I agree with you too Ten. That's why I felt compelled to post that vid. It has a fiction feel to it that intrigues. I admit it is a fun exercise for me to sit back and speculate on this stuff. These unusual scientific studies that are out there make it even more satisfying. 8-) I often wonder where these scientists get their funding for stuff like this.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:37 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
Believing that humans can solve every problem is naive, imo.

I think believing they can't is pretty ignorant of history - it's mostly only a function of time and resources. We went from the Wright brothers' first flight to putting a man on the moon in less than 70 years.

My point is simply that the doom-and-gloomers have been around a long time, and long before their predictions come true (and usually long after they've failed to come true), technology has already solved or pushed the problem much further out.

The real threats to humanity are largely the threats that have been facing us for nearly a century (or much more) - monster asteroids, supervolcanoes, nuclear war and global pandemic. And practically speaking, only global nuclear war would be likely to be an extinction event.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:13 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
COR-TEN wrote:
Believing that humans can solve every problem is naive, imo.

I think believing they can't is pretty ignorant of history - it's mostly only a function of time and resources. We went from the Wright brothers' first flight to putting a man on the moon in less than 70 years.

My point is simply that the doom-and-gloomers have been around a long time, and long before their predictions come true (and usually long after they've failed to come true), technology has already solved or pushed the problem much further out.

The real threats to humanity are largely the threats that have been facing us for nearly a century (or much more) - monster asteroids, supervolcanoes, nuclear war and global pandemic. And practically speaking, only global nuclear war would be likely to be an extinction event.
I never said humans can't solve problems, just not all of them. And inevitably creates others in the process. History has proven that.

Also interesting you didn't include global warming in the group of threats, but I guess some think we'll be colonizing mars or sum similar bullshit. I already know you think carbon buildup/ global warming is overrated and wrong. No need to delve back into that discussion. Either way, earth history obliterates life on the planet. Unless you think humans can overcome mother nature.

There is no doubt humans have a innate ability to adapt, but we aren't simple organisms like cockroaches. And technology can and will create solutions to global problems. I'm personally not that intimidated by feeding a growing population. What's getting in the way is ideology, and whether or not we as the human race, want to feed the world.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:30 pm 

Something to remember next time someone tries to convince you there isnt enough for everyone.

The entire world population of 7,200,000,000 could claim 2500 sqft for every man woman and child on earth and fit everyone in the state of Alaska and still have room left over. If you grew up in the 1970s your entire house was probably less than 1500sqft. If you grew up in the 1960s it was probably less than 1200sqft.

BTW. That amount left over ? Over 17,605 square miles.

Thats more than Delaware ( 2491) Maryland ( 12,407) Rhode Island ( 1212) London,England (607 ) Berlin,Germany (344 ) Paris,France (41 ) and Los Angeles,California ( 503 ) combined

World population est 2014 7,200,000,000

.....Square feet in square mile 27,878,400. Alaska =
663,238sqmi x 27,878,400 = 18,490,850,611,200 sqft / 7,200,000,000 people worlwide = 2568.17 sqft per.
.....68.17sqft x 7,200,000,00 = 490,824,000,000 sqft / 27,878,400 = 17,605 sqmi.