It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Tool thread
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:12 pm 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
I love when companies call shit "tactical" when it obviously isn't meant for tactical purposes.

95% of the time, that just means it's black.
Ahhh yes. The power of advertising and how they re-define words to get you to buy stuff. Free markets/advertising and its effects are largely ignored when it comes to identifying societal problems. They prefer to place the blame on other shit. People are stupid, and advertising takes advantage.

"Tactical" is a buzzword. It makes idiots in their backyards feel powerful. Even better when you can get cheap chinese shit for under $10, and then turn around and complain that "government" is exporting jobs.

Those knives are throwaways. Likely to break or bend when breaking down boxes, if the edge lasts that long before closing on your hand because of a cheap faulty lock. Some people like cheap disposable shit and don't worry about waste. Just like the cheap poorly made LED flashlights at hardware store check out POP displays (I own two. One still works, the other is kaputt). But hey, capitalism! (feeling ornery today)

I own this one from Spyderco. Nice steel, lightweight, great design, and well built. Adjustable so it fits in both left or right pocket with a hole in the blade for one handed operation. Not too expensive either.

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco-Delica-Flat--5466

In the end it depends on what you want it for. Even the one I own can chip if abused.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:54 pm 

I bought a compressor at Harbor Freight recently that has worked out very nicely. Whole setup ran me about $100.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:59 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
SteelPro wrote:
I wasn't sure if this would be about idiots or the band. Well color me surprised that it is about actual tools. :lol: :lol: :lol:

What a coincidence!

http://pitchfork.com/news/72156-tool-announce-tour/

Pitchfork wrote:
NEWS

by Sheldon Pearce
Associate Staff Writer
METAL
MARCH 13 2017

Tool are going on tour. The tour opens in May with dates in Virginia, New York, Michigan, Ontario, and more. The band’s site promises an “unparalleled sonic and visual experience” for the tour. Find the full itinerary below. In January, Tool were announced as a headliner for this year’s Governors Ball Music Festival in New York.

Tool:

05-24 Fairfax, VA - Eaglebank Arena
05-27 Bangor, ME - Darling's Waterfront Pavilion
05-28 Boston, MA - Boston Calling
05-30 Rochester, NY - Blue Cross Arena
05-31 Hamilton, Ontario - First Ontario Centre
06-02 Montreal, Quebec - Bell Centre
06-04 New York, NY - Governor's Ball
06-05 Pittsburgh, PA - Petersen Events Center :shock: :lol:
06-07 Detroit, MI - DTE Energy Music Theatre
06-08 Chicago, IL - Allstate Arena

Really liked the Undertow album, but wasn't a huge fan after that. This past summer we were in Sedona, AZ. We made a trip up in the mountains to a town called Jerome. Had lunch and never realized the entire time I was eating that Maynard was sitting right across from us. Apparently he owns a winery in the Arizona mountains.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:02 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
I love when companies call shit "tactical" when it obviously isn't meant for tactical purposes.

Ahhh yes. The power of advertising and how they re-define words to get you to buy stuff. Free markets/advertising and its effects are largely ignored when it comes to identifying societal problems. They prefer to place the blame on other shit. People are stupid, and advertising takes advantage.

"Tactical" is a buzzword. It makes idiots in their backyards feel powerful. Even better when you can get cheap chinese shit for under $10, and then turn around and complain that "government" is exporting jobs.

Those knives are throwaways. Likely to break or bend when breaking down boxes, if the edge lasts that long before closing on your hand because of a cheap faulty lock. Some people like cheap disposable shit and don't worry about waste. Just like the cheap poorly made LED flashlights at hardware store check out POP displays (I own two. One still works, the other is kaputt). But hey, capitalism! (feeling ornery today)

I own this one from Spyderco. Nice steel, lightweight, great design, and well built. Adjustable so it fits in both left or right pocket with a hole in the blade for one handed operation. Not too expensive either.

In the end it depends on what you want it for. Even the one I own can chip if abused.

I think they put the little knob to flick it open with your thumb and that calls it tactical. Before we start bashing capitalism, Iets remember we all have free will of what to buy, and we have unlimited options to choose from. I doubt they had those luxuries in the USSR or Cuba.

I bought a $10 knife. It does what I need it to do. Cut a box open here or there. If I had spent $70 on a knife I use around the house to cut a box open here or there, I'd feel like a schmuck.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:26 am 

Charles Demarr wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
SteelPro wrote:
I wasn't sure if this would be about idiots or the band. Well color me surprised that it is about actual tools. :lol: :lol: :lol:

What a coincidence!

Pitchfork wrote:
NEWS

by Sheldon Pearce
Associate Staff Writer
METAL
MARCH 13 2017

Tool are going on tour. The tour opens in May with dates in Virginia, New York, Michigan, Ontario, and more. The band’s site promises an “unparalleled sonic and visual experience” for the tour. Find the full itinerary below. In January, Tool were announced as a headliner for this year’s Governors Ball Music Festival in New York.

Tool:

Really liked the Undertow album, but wasn't a huge fan after that. This past summer we were in Sedona, AZ. We made a trip up in the mountains to a town called Jerome. Had lunch and never realized the entire time I was eating that Maynard was sitting right across from us. Apparently he owns a winery in the Arizona mountains.

I actually just bought tickets to the Pittsburgh show.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:13 am 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:08 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:

That cartoon refers to voting i believe. otherwise it makes no sense.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:20 am 

R S wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/Schrade-SCH203TS-Partially-Serrated-Stainless/dp/B00BO2EZPE/ref=sr_1_9?s=hunting-fishing&ie=UTF8&qid=1489674799&sr=1-9&keywords=3+inch+stainless+steel+folding+knife

https://www.amazon.com/USA-MT-378-Foldi ... ding+knife

https://www.amazon.com/USA-MT-425BK-Tac ... 7045231011

https://www.amazon.com/USA-MT-472CA-Tac ... 7045231011

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_2?fs ... 1489675003

All of those are notably more than the 3 dollars I paid for mine.Fail.Sad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:08 pm 

Charles Demarr wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
SteelPro wrote:

What a coincidence!

Pitchfork wrote:
NEWS

by Sheldon Pearce
Associate Staff Writer
METAL
MARCH 13 2017

Tool:

Yes he does.
Love me some Tool.
The wife's favorite band also. Going to see them in Rochester, NY. Tickets went so fast.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:55 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:

You sure use every opportunity to get a dig at free markets and capitalism...