It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: GaGa killed it at halftime
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:03 pm 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
Finally the long overdue J-Pop/K-Pop thread on SteelerFury.

I know right

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:12 pm 

Dear sirs:

Since the unfortunate but nonetheless predictable loss of the Pitts-borough Steelers to the New-England Rebels in the conference finals, I have felt myself piqued and dyspeptic, but as an aficionado of fine musical arts in the heavy metal and J-Pop genres, and follower of this most interesting thread, permit me to weigh in on an intersectional critical analysis of Babymetal to posit the case that they indeed represent a legitimate extension of the metal ethos.

There is indeed precedent for embrace of establishment stereotypy as a Trojan Horse to dissemble the hegemony from within. This has been most effectively embraced by Mr. Angus Young and the prodigious rock talents in the Swiftian tale "School of Rock" in which the practitioner of the metal arts embraced school boy and school girl uniforms such as those worn at Eaton, the effect being one of delicious irony.

Indeed in my younger days, when I was engrossed in the fine delectations of Bathory's Blood Fire Death and Amon Amarth's Nordic metal style, Gen. Forbes, Robert Walpole and I formed a metal trio with our own variation on this Scandinavian style, which I termed "Enlightenment Metal", basically a hybrid loud hard metal that which promoted the pursuit of happiness and paternal colonialism over typical Viking themes of rape and pillage. Our debut EP, suitably entitled "Locke and Load" featuring the hit singles, "Enlightened Conquest" and the anthemic "V for Voltaire" did indeed attract quite a cult following in the parlours of Knightsbridge and Hyde Park.

Yuimetal, Su-metal, Moametal of Babymetal may not be in the echelon of Metallica, but these Nippono-metal performers are no dilettantes as they have created a glorious upheaval in the stagnant J-Pop genre, which may in itself be seen as a critical counterforce to Western mainstream popular entertainment.

Your obedient servant,

William Pitt the Elder
First Earl of Chatham

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:27 pm 

I believe Lit is what you would call a Little Monster, in the GaGa world. You don't fuck with little monsters on the interweb.

I will say if you don't consider her a musician, then I'm lost.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:02 am 

R S wrote:
I believe Lit is what you would call a Little Monster, in the GaGa world. You don't fuck with little monsters on the interweb.

Thanks RS...that was amazing.
I'm one that doesn't look for music to make a political statement...solve the worlds problems...have life's answers. I just want music to entertain me. Me make happy...bring me to tears...inspire me to dance...sing along in my truck...bring me to that deep state of melancholy.
The downside of Super Bowl LI was another Pats Lombardi. The upside was enlightening me to the awesomeness of Lady GaGa!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:40 am 

Jobus Rum wrote:
I'm one that doesn't look for music to make a political statement...solve the worlds problems...have life's answers. I just want music to entertain me. Me make happy...bring me to tears...inspire me to dance...sing along in my truck...bring me to that deep state of melancholy.

Post of the year nominee.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:16 pm 

Jobus Rum wrote:
R S wrote:

The downside of Super Bowl LI was another Pats Lombardi. The upside was enlightening me to the awesomeness of Lady GaGa!

I'm not saying this to be a contrarian, but regarding the bolded, have you tried James Brown? ;)

James at his peak powers was an unstoppable force of nature. I don't care who he beat or how much of an asshole he was.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:09 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
James at his peak powers was an unstoppable force of nature. I don't care who he beat or how much of an asshole he was.

He was still pretty damn good at the end. Have you seen the duet with Pavarotti - one of my favorite performances anyone, anywhere period.

Last edited by Kodiak on Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:43 am 

R S wrote:

She has real talent, no doubt. But I thought the halftime show sucked.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:11 am 

James Brown was obviously talented, but the dude could barely speak English.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:43 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
Jobus Rum wrote:
R S wrote:

I'm not saying this to be a contrarian, but regarding the bolded, have you tried James Brown? ;)

I must admit that in my younger days I never gave JB much of a listen...just wasn't my cup of tea. As I grew older, and began to open my mind to different types of music, I learned to appreciate his talent much more.
Kodiak, I had never seen or heard that duet before...pretty damn awesome.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next