It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Headphones
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:07 pm 

I've come to the conclusion that it's good to have two pair, one wireless (non Bluetooth) for audiophile and watching TV and one noise cancelling for travel and general use.

Very fond of these Sennheisser 195s I got for XMas. The Bose noise cancellation ones are great for trips. Other opinions welcome. Obviously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWEVMxGXYBY

Post subject: Re: Headphones
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:04 am 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
I've come to the conclusion that it's good to have two pair, one wireless (non Bluetooth) for audiophile and watching TV and one noise cancelling for travel and general use.

Very fond of these Sennheisser 195s I got for XMas. The Bose noise cancellation ones are great for trips. Other opinions welcome. Obviously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWEVMxGXYBY

There is a shit ton of "head-fi" gear. How much money are you willing to spend?

The freaks will tell you that you need headphones without a built-in amp and to go tube with your power source.

Here is your portal to the rabbit hole:

http://www.head-fi.org/

These guys offer reputable, good "mid-fi" amps for phones. Nice cheeky name, too:

http://schiit.com/products

This guy is a go-to for me. Here is a very nice run down of some headphone options. You might consider sending him an email:

https://newrecordday.com/headphone-extravaganza/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:15 pm 

I listened to Wee Small Hours by Sinatra off HD Tracks through the Sennhausers. It's really amazing how we've all become accustomed to punchy compressed audio that leads to listener fatigue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gmex_4hreQ

If you can hear that difference on YouTube audio, you can imagine the difference at high sampling rates.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:29 pm 

I just like a good pair of ear buds - comfort and convenience is worth the small trade-off in sound quality (after all, it's music from my phone)....sorry for the blasphemy.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:39 pm 

I'm just surprised that in an era where video is so good, that audio has gotten so much worse.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:00 pm 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
I'm just surprised that in an era where video is so good, that audio has gotten so much worse.

But to a degree it's happening with video as well.

Generally I know what you're saying and overall I agree, but remember our HDTV thread recently -- the masses go for "bells & whistles," and if manufacturers can sell you a cheaper, easier-to-make product that most customers think is better, or more convenient (as with the modern crappier but ultra-convenient ways the vast majority of people listen to music today) then that's exactly what they're gonna do. Not many seem to be joining Neil out on the Pono frontier . . .

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:18 pm 

Also, I had a pair of $80 Sennheiser yellow-foam headphones in '82 that I used on my bitchen Toshiba walkman-type cassette player, and my home-engineered mix-tapes sounded fandamntastic on those --- far better than anything my current phone/ipod etc. can muster.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:45 pm 

Ear buds and cheap headphones and mp3s are designed to penetrate sound in noisy environments and do that well. But that's not good sound...I think they've adapted to the fact that people just don't listen or watch in truly quiet environments anymore. Which is kind of sad.

Go to HD tracks, download the free sample of St. Thomas by Sonny Rollins. Listen on a decent pair of headphones and you hear things, especially drums and the like, you can't hear on an mp3 or even a wav.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:02 pm 

Disagree Dan. Hi Fi is alive and well. And today's mid fi gear sounds as good as yesteryear's hi fi in some cases. You just don't find it at Best Buy. Direct to consumer hi fi abounds. I lost 6 months of my life deciding on a subwoofer and bookshelf speakers. Ditto on my amp. A lot of quality out there. Check the new record day website. It's incredible.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:56 pm 

Not disagreeing, it's there but not mainstream. I don't think the public for the most part knows the difference. In hip hop world, it's all about the bass to the detriment of everything else. BTW Sennheiser actually has much better bass than Beats.