It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hollywood is creatively bankrupt
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:49 pm 

Looks like a couple decent Sci-Fi movies coming out this year..

Life and God Particle, which I believe will be Cloverfield 2.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:23 pm 

Speaking of Luca Brasi, time for Tarantino to take a stab at an Italian mob movie.

In the book Godfather, there's a subplot about a Sicilian family that was too vicious even for the American mobs. They made their living in America as hostages during Mafia meetings. This is right up his alley.

http://godfather.wikia.com/wiki/Bocchicchio_clan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:08 pm 

Steve and a Porsche 917

If there is a picture cooler than that, please post it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:26 pm 

Take your pick:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:24 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:29 am 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/heres-your-first-official-look-at-the-oceans-8-crew-including-sandra-bullock-cate-blanchett-and-rihanna-125840434.html

A reboot of a remake of a not very good 1961 movie. (Sorry, Frank, even Jilly agrees.)

Guess they didn't learn anything from Ghostbusters? Who the hell greenlighted that?

Everything is recycled and what is not is comic book level crap.

With the exception of certain creative projects like La La Land which was good, not great, and certainly not West Side Story or Singin in the Rain or even Les Miz.

I think the occasional great TV series like Breaking Bad or Black Mirror or Silicon Valley are killing movies.

To risk sounding Trumpian-- this is almost 100% about China. The US box office numbers are staggering off a cliff, while the total of all other countries in the world excluding US & China is holding pretty steady with some growth here and there. China box office is around 10 times what it was 5-7 years ago. So. Hollywood makes movies with universal jokes (farts and crapping one's pants and the underling's making fun of superiors), fancy cgi and pictures, and broad themes that can be understood and not lost in translation. Making films like that has the side benefits of being palatable to undereducated and simplistic thinking American people AND it provides incredible cross-marketing and merchandising revenue streams. Most of those Chinese have never seen classic American films, so remaking them is a no-brainer.

Personally, I can't think of worse movies to make, but it does create a lot of jobs.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:44 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/heres-your-first-official-look-at-the-oceans-8-crew-including-sandra-bullock-cate-blanchett-and-rihanna-125840434.html

A reboot of a remake of a not very good 1961 movie. (Sorry, Frank, even Jilly agrees.)

Guess they didn't learn anything from Ghostbusters? Who the hell greenlighted that?

Everything is recycled and what is not is comic book level crap.

With the exception of certain creative projects like La La Land which was good, not great, and certainly not West Side Story or Singin in the Rain or even Les Miz.

I think the occasional great TV series like Breaking Bad or Black Mirror or Silicon Valley are killing movies.

To risk sounding Trumpian-- this is almost 100% about China. The US box office numbers are staggering off a cliff, while the total of all other countries in the world excluding US & China is holding pretty steady with some growth here and there. China box office is around 10 times what it was 5-7 years ago. So. Hollywood makes movies with universal jokes (farts and crapping one's pants and the underling's making fun of superiors), fancy cgi and pictures, and broad themes that can be understood and not lost in translation. Making films like that has the side benefits of being palatable to undereducated and simplistic thinking American people AND it provides incredible cross-marketing and merchandising revenue streams. Most of those Chinese have never seen classic American films, so remaking them is a no-brainer.

Personally, I can't think of worse movies to make, but it does create a lot of jobs.

So what's the excuse of the remakes being all women? I'm expecting Jane Bond 007 anytime now.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:47 am 

The excuse for the feminist remakes is that too many studio executives are angry middle aged women...the worst demographic for a sense of humor or even style.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:29 pm 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
The excuse for the feminist remakes is that too many studio executives are angry middle aged women...the worst demographic for a sense of humor or even style.

In their defense, dealing with screaming toddlers and angsty teenage children tends to reorder priorities. If I were a middle aged mother, I'd probably enjoy the fantasy.

I wonder how outraged we'd be if Thelma and Louise were remade with men in the leading roles. Probably not nearly as much.

That said, most of the remakes are tragedies. I'm still angry about the Total Recall do-over. Unforgivable!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:35 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
Dan Smith--BYU wrote:

In their defense, dealing with screaming toddlers and angsty teenage children tends to reorder priorities. If I were a middle aged mother, I'd probably enjoy the fantasy.

I wonder how outraged we'd be if Thelma and Louise were remade with men in the leading roles. Probably not nearly as much.

That said, most of the remakes are tragedies. I'm still angry about the Total Recall do-over. Unforgivable!

If that happened, you bet your ass jezebel or whatever other woman online rags would be bitching up a storm. It's not happening though.

BTW, I watched the movie Passengers on Kodi the other day. I was actually entertained. I saw it got shit reviews but i liked it. Don't pay to watch it, but for free I liked it ok.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next