It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hollywood is creatively bankrupt
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:42 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
In their defense, dealing with screaming toddlers and angsty teenage children tends to reorder priorities. If I were a middle aged mother, I'd probably enjoy the fantasy.
And you entertain and legitimize a baseless, sexist, ignorant, narrow minded, infantile, misogynistic comment with a response?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:57 pm 

R S wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
The excuse for the feminist remakes is that too many studio executives are angry middle aged women...the worst demographic for a sense of humor or even style.

In their defense, dealing with screaming toddlers and angsty teenage children tends to reorder priorities. If I were a middle aged mother, I'd probably enjoy the fantasy.

I wonder how outraged we'd be if Thelma and Louise were remade with men in the leading roles. Probably not nearly as much.

That said, most of the remakes are tragedies. I'm still angry about the Total Recall do-over. Unforgivable!

If that happened, you bet your ass jezebel or whatever other woman online rags would be bitching up a storm. It's not happening though.

BTW, I watched the movie Passengers on Kodi the other day. I was actually entertained. I saw it got shit reviews but i liked it. Don't pay to watch it, but for free I liked it ok.

I don't doubt a large number of women would complain. My point, however, is that probably a lot of the men who howled so much about the Ghostbuster remake with female leads would largely shrug their shoulders about a Thelma and Louise redo with male leads. You know, bc...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:31 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
I don't doubt a large number of women would complain. My point, however, is that probably a lot of the men who howled so much about the Ghostbuster remake with female leads would largely shrug their shoulders about a Thelma and Louise redo with male leads. You know, bc...
What exactly is your point? At best you are highlighting a double standard, but it's not entirely clear.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:34 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
What exactly is your point? At best you are highlighting a double standard, but it's not entirely clear.

I don't know what his point is. I'm highlighting the need to appease one's mad up inner guilt by making movies catering and pandering to female audiences. They are destined to fail horribly, but somewhere, somebody feels good about themselves for putting it out there.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:01 pm 

I am big TCM fan over going to the movies anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:26 pm 

LOL....saw a blurb that a re-make of The Matrix is in the works. I mean, c'mon, the last one was only released 14 years ago.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:18 pm 

R S wrote:
I don't know what his point is. I'm highlighting the need to appease one's mad up inner guilt by making movies catering and pandering to female audiences. They are destined to fail horribly, but somewhere, somebody feels good about themselves for putting it out there.
Just curious. So you don't think adolescents masquerading as men jerking themselves off in corner offices don't pander to the 18-34 year old male with smash 'em up, pointless, mind numbing, movies with scantily clad women? Or locker room juvenile humor movies with the mentality of an 8 year old aimed at the under 24 year old demographic?

RE : The Matrix. Considering the political climate, alternate 'facts," and contrived realities, it seems the Matrix narrative is ripe for exploitation. Easy script, throw some CGI money at it, and you'll have hundreds of millions of dollars in no time. Selling it to mindless, vacuous, consumer driven idiots who have been taught by free markets that they can have everything they want whenever they want it - for a price.

And in all likelihood, a shitty remake with no imagination as well.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:22 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
RE : The Matrix. Considering the political climate, alternate 'facts," and contrived realities, it seems the Matrix narrative is ripe for exploitation. Easy script, throw some CGI money at it, and you'll have hundreds of millions of dollars in no time. Selling it to mindless, vacuous, consumer driven idiots who have been taught by free markets that they can have everything they want whenever they want it - for a price.

I agree it will appeal to many who believe bigger government is the answer to "evil, greedy" corporations. But, of course, the similarities between the Matrix alternate reality and empty government promises will elude most.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:29 pm 

I guess with the success of the Beauty and the Beast live action reboot, we can expect Disney's creative minds will be pretty much tied up with live action reboots of everything from Snow White through their entire catalog for probably the next twenty years.

I can't say I'd argue with that if I were in charge.

People suck.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:08 am 

I don't really get the hand wringing over Hollywood. The major studios are no different from the major record companies. They push shit that appeals widely to make money. But the wider the appeal, the less interesting. Good film, like good music, is easily available should you go looking for it.

Hey Dan, you may find this of interest. I bought it, but have not had a chance yet to view it.

https://www.reelhouse.org/spiegel/timeremembered

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next