It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hollywood is creatively bankrupt
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:33 pm 

Bill Evans never produced anything half-assed, and I can't even say that about Sinatra.

The good news is with the Internet, you can just ignore all the hype and find something good somewhere like that documentary.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:44 pm 

franco>madden wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
No definitely not remake. But a movie in that genre. I agree Bullit is untouchable. The Tao of Steve cannot be fucked with.

Much of my wardrobe is modeled after McQueen's look in Bullitt and elsewhere. I'm not joking. Unfortunately, I drive a Honda Fit, which somewhat detracts from the full aura. :lol:

Great talk fellers. So much to say on these rich topics. Steve's #1 in my book.

Have you guys seen Fincher's film Zodiac? (also very good, IMO) At one point, Robert Downey's character addresses the detective played by Mark Ruffalo by saying, "Hey, Bullitt," alluding to the fact that Steve McQueen had met with the actual SFPD detective back in '68 while preparing for his role as Det. Frank Bullitt. McQ even incorporated the real detective's penchant for the turtleneck/sportscoat look w/shoulder holster into his own ultra-style domination.

[Small aside, Lit, on your "aura-deficit" of Honda vs. Mustang: nearly as deep as my Pirates/Steelers love, I'm a classic (1960 - 1971) Dodge & Plymouth guy. I've read interviews with the Bullitt production crew on how difficult it was to work with McQueen's choice of car, the admittedly bitchen-looking Mustang GT, which needed major chassis, engine and brake overhauling and modifications in order to beef it up enough to handle the abuse of "the chase". The Charger R/T, on the other hand, had to be purchased cash by chase coordinator Max Balchowski because the Fords provided to Warner Brothers "wouldn't stand a chance of surviving" the chase filming. They actually had to "handicap" the Charger with skinnier tires and minimal engine and chassis enhancement, yet still had trouble keeping the 440-powered Dodge from running away from the Mustang, as McQueen and director Peter Yates insisted on realism and minimal "effects" in filming the stunts. I still laugh every time Ford issues another "commemorative Bullitt model" Mustang or, as on a recent Blue Bloods episode, everyone gushes over the incredible Mustang that "won" the famous chase, when in reality it was cinematic fiddling-about + McQueen and "the look" that were the winners.]

Also, if you've never seen the film Dan referred to -- Tao of Steve -- it was a funny nod to the coolness and overwhelming conquest of the female psyche possessed of several Steves, especially McQ.

Thank you Kevin Marti

http://fortune.com/2017/03/07/ford-must ... -junkyard/

The Ford Mustang Steve McQueen Drove in ‘Bullitt’ Has Been Found In a Mexican Junkyard

The 1968 Ford (f, +2.09%) Mustang whose tires smoked and screamed over San Francisco hills in the cult movie Bullitt has been recovered from a Mexican junk yard.
The iconic car—driven by Steve McQueen's titular crack-detective Frank Bullitt—was long regarded as the one that got away. Hollywood legend had long held it was junked soon after filming wrapped, Fox news reports, but multiple overlays of the 'Stang's iconic Highland Green paint job suggest it lived a few more lives before winding up at the yard.

Ford expert Kevin Marti, who last week traveled to Mexicali to inspect the car, confirmed the find: “I’m 100% sure it’s authentic,” he told Fox News.
The car was reportedly a shadow of its former self when it was recovered from a junk yard about a year ago in Baha California Sur. The man who purchased the wreck had planned to fix it up to resemble another classic movie Mustang: “Eleanor” from Gone in 60 Seconds.

It was only later, at the Mexicali custom car shop that was supposed to do the work, that he discovered he had something special on his hands.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:38 am 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
I guess with the success of the Beauty and the Beast live action reboot, we can expect Disney's creative minds will be pretty much tied up with live action reboots of everything from Snow White through their entire catalog for probably the next twenty years.

I can't say I'd argue with that if I were in charge.

People suck.

Disney is another matter. Most of their stuff is based on extending the copyright and selling merchandise. Compare Beauty and the Beast with Maleficent. Both live action reboots. One just retells the animated version with almost nothing new and the other is a completely new look at Sleeping Beauty.

Yes. I have seen all of the Disney remakes. I have two pre-teen girls who Disney targets with power marketing. They are on the backside of their princess targeted age group so now they get the pull of their evil teen shows and music.

Pixar used to be innovative until Disney bought/merged with them. Now they are a long line of Cars V Planes II Toy Story XX. It is one reason they did not win the Oscar this year ( not that I trust the Oscar voters very much). Zootopia was an innovative story.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:00 am 

Still Lit wrote:
Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
Tarantino takes lower grade genres of film like Blaxploitation, Martial Arts and even Grindhouse and elevates them to a whole new level through superior dialogue and writing. Even though partially derivative, it is creative.

This is debatable. I'll grant you that the grindhouse inspired flicks are elevated, but the Blaxploitation, Martial Arts, Spaghetti Westerns? I don't know. There are some effing gems in those genera. Tarantino ain't topping Sergio Leone.

Agreed.

Question to all, if that comment that all but 4 Rooms are derivative in some fashion what was the source for Hateful 8?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:44 pm 

Yeah as really they are running out of original ideas.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:26 am 

Churchill is factually inaccurate intentionally. Don't waste your time and money. Has to be designed to rewrite history, released near D Day anniversary. This piece of shit movie claims he was lukewarm to the invasion, didn't support it until days before the event. Absolute lie, he was a key strategist and planner with Ike and others. Factually accurate that he loved his whiskey but it portrays him as a stupified grunting drunk. Like all four American men to win the Nobel for writing alcohol sharpened his intellect before the sleep and stupor. The storyline goes nowhere, people walked out. Akin to removing his bust from WH & returning it. Worse than a rotten tomato, a dirty tampon.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:58 am 

Old School Steeler wrote:
Churchill is factually inaccurate intentionally. Don't waste your time and money. Has to be designed to rewrite history, released near D Day anniversary. This piece of shit movie claims he was lukewarm to the invasion, didn't support it until days before the event. Absolute lie, he was a key strategist and planner with Ike and others. Factually accurate that he loved his whiskey but it portrays him as a stupified grunting drunk. Like all four American men to win the Nobel for writing alcohol sharpened his intellect before the sleep and stupor. The storyline goes nowhere, people walked out. Akin to removing his bust from WH & returning it. Worse than a rotten tomato, a dirty tampon.

Haven't seen the film, but Churchill, as I understand it, did have major reservations, but eventually did embrace the plan. Is your claim that Churchill was all in on the idea from day one? If so that's not accurate as far as my understanding goes. Of course, you may be right and I may be wrong. But being involved in planning something is not incommensurate with having major reservations about what is being planned. Again, have not seen the film.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:23 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
Old School Steeler wrote:

Haven't seen the film, but Churchill, as I understand it, did have major reservations, but eventually did embrace the plan. Is your claim that Churchill was all in on the idea from day one? If so that's not accurate as far as my understanding goes. Of course, you may be right and I may be wrong. But being involved in planning something is not incommensurate with having major reservations about what is being planned. Again, have not seen the film.

Churchill stood alone against the Axis. There are those who believed he saved what we know to be the free world, many of those believers died 73 years ago today. Some of those believers were raised by those who survived. I won't reference by name this disgrace to his memory, only misinformation or ignored facts based on what I was taught from those that lived it and their approved historians. In 39 when the Athenia was sunk WC back channeled FDR, objective was US engagement. Year after Pearl Harbor in 42 WC through Monty encouraged FDR to execute Torch Landing Assault, first US land assault in Algeria instead of Europe. WC knew we'd get destroyed if we took on German & Vichy troops via water invasion at that point. WC knew we needed practice and larger naval force via massive manufacturing. In 42 two years prior to D Day WC was a strong voice advocating Mulberry, secret plan to build/install floating docks at invasion site to advance the ground forces.

In 41 Churchill back channeled FDR with the Atlantic Charter and Stalin over Iranian oil. In 40 Hitler knew Brits were a different constitution than the French and others he rolled. They weren't going to quit. Play for kids g'kids his We will fight them on the beaches....speech, teach them about real leadership. (Patton's Normandy Invasion speech also). There are those that claim Churchill was a war criminal for sinking the French fleet. He did what he had to so to save his country, his people. Those same people know how to make movies.

Silent Passion is worth seeing. OK movie, incredible subject. Need to reacquaint with Emily's poetry before seeing it. Director does a great job of positioning her poetry against the events in her life that inspired her.

Their Finest is easily the best film I've seen in a long time. Based on the motivational films London & Hollywood made to motivate the war effort. A film within a film, can't recall another war time drama with comedic bits. I thought it was brilliant.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:50 pm 

It Comes at Night is one of the worst movies I've ever watched. Alien wasn't good either, and Pirates OTC was meh.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:55 am 

I'm trying to think of any good movies I've watched lately. It's tough. I liked Hacksaw Ridge. Good story. "Gifted" I believe it was called was a cute movie.

The autopsy of Jane Doe, I randomly came across that one on Kodi. Kinda freaky. I enjoyed it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next