It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Craft Beer Thread
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:21 am 

I have just discovered La Fin du Monde which I am really enjoying. I'm kind of partial to the Belgian style. I noticed a lot of the top crafts are IPAs which are not my favorite.

Post subject: Re: Craft Beer Thread
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:14 am 

It was crafty and it got around

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:23 am 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
I have just discovered La Fin du Monde which I am really enjoying. I'm kind of partial to the Belgian style. I noticed a lot of the top crafts are IPAs which are not my favorite.

Can't stand IPAs. And they've ruined sample packs as brewers seem to insist on always including an IPA as one of the flavors, which means if I buy one I'm going to end up with 3-4 wasted beers.

Belgians are the way to go. I'm especially partial to quads.

Although they're probably not considered "craft", my faves are:

Gouden Carolus Cuvee van de Keizer (Blauw)
La Trappe
St Bernardus abt 12
Rochefort 12
Gulden Draak 9000

I also have a couple bottles of the unicorn of Belgian beer, Westvleteren 12, which is usually really hard to find outside of Belgium. They did do an extremely limited release here in the states a few years ago, but I got mine from a cousin who visited the monastery a few years ago. It was very, very good, but I'm not sure it cracked my personal top 5.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:03 pm 

I agree. Hops shouldn't dominate the flavor. High alcohol content and hops can mask a lot of flaws, but I'm half expecting my next one to be served like this:

IPAs have become the Merlot of beer. Maybe someone will make a beer version of Sideways to put an end to this madness.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:02 pm 

I too am sick of everything IPA. Talk about overkill. Are there really that many hipsters to support this? Give me a Maibock or Dunkel any day.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:19 pm 

Agree with the thread - why people think blowing your face off with bitterness = character/flavor is beyond me. Although i will vouch for the Flying Fish Exit 15 Coffee IPA (brewed in NJ somewhere). That was excellent.

One other fad I'd like to see go away is the "Ale Brewed in Wine/Bourbon/Whiskey/etc Barrels". I have yet to drink one that I actually enjoy.

I've been on a major stout & porter kick for the past few months. Some favorites:

- Crown Valley's Imperial Pumpkin Smash (my avatar)
- Boulevard Early Riser Coffee Porter
- 4Hands Chocolate Milk Stout (comes in several varieties)
- Avery Vanilla Bean
- Lancaster Double Chocolate Milk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:32 pm 

Pabst wrote:
Agree with the thread - why people think blowing your face off with bitterness = character/flavor is beyond me. Although i will vouch for the Flying Fish Exit 15 Coffee IPA (brewed in NJ somewhere). That was excellent.

One other fad I'd like to see go away is the "Ale Brewed in Wine/Bourbon/Whiskey/etc Barrels". I have yet to drink one that I actually enjoy.

I've been on a major stout & porter kick for the past few months. Some favorites:

- Crown Valley's Imperial Pumpkin Smash (my avatar)
- Boulevard Early Riser Coffee Porter
- 4Hands Chocolate Milk Stout (comes in several varieties)
- Avery Vanilla Bean
- Lancaster Double Chocolate Milk

You know, I used to agree with you on the whiskey-barrel beer, but somewhere along the way I tried one and actually started enjoying them. Guldan Draak did a whiskey-barrel quad that I absolutely loved. The whiskey flavor wasn't overwhelming like it so often is in those type of beers and I just loved the hell out of it.

I started trying some other ones and realized I didn't hate them as much I thought. I think my problem was that the first few I tried were just way too far on the whiskey side of the spectrum (I'm looking at you, Dragon's Milk). Some of the more mellow ones like Kentucky Bourbon have actually made their way to my preferred drinks list.

But seriously, if you ever see this bottle, I'd encourage you to give it a try. I think you'd be surprised.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:36 pm 

I'll have to try that one out (if i can find it). I 100% agree on Dragon's Milk, but I was actually thinking of Kentucky Bourbon when i made my original post. Not really my style at all.

Ultimately, it all comes down to personal taste, and exploring is half the fun.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:49 pm 

Pabst wrote:
I'll have to try that one out (if i can find it). I 100% agree on Dragon's Milk, but I was actually thinking of Kentucky Bourbon when i made my original post. Not really my style at all.

Ultimately, it all comes down to personal taste, and exploring is half the fun.

Absolutely.

I never have the expectation of someone agreeing with my beer preferences, at all. Everyone has their favorite styles.

Except IPAs. Fuck IPAs. :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:27 pm 

IPAs were designed to be palatable but not excellent after a long haul in tropical temperatures such as what the British dealt with in India. Which explains the hops and high alc content. I don't see how that formula leads to a balanced smooth beer when that issue is no longer relevant in the 21st century.

Looks like they are as popular as Ray Rice at this site.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next