It is currently Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hilarious reviews on Amazon for the Samsung 85" ultra HD tv
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:49 pm 

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN85S9-85 ... op?ie=UTF8

Some very helpful reviews! :lol:

Post subject: Re: Hilarious reviews on Amazon for the Samsung 85" ultra HD
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:58 pm 

Those were funny. I actually just got a 65" ultra high def 4k on Friday.

Some things look fantastic.

I think I liked my plasma better though.

Not sure I'm on board with LED.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:04 pm 

955876 wrote:

Plasma is superior picture quality.

I fear burn in. I know it's a small risk. But if I'm spending thousands on a tv, it better do what I say, not vice versa. I like leaving my tv on whatever and not worrying.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:54 pm 

I had burn in issues two years in with my Samsung plasma. Held on another year and a half with it because I knew I had 4 year warranty.

Typically don't buy extended warranty but damn glad I did in this case.

OLED is the newest thing and has a rich plasma like picture. A better picture even.

And no burn in issues.

Problem is biggest they come at present is 55". My plasma was 58" and I wasn't going down in size.

Plus I read that some OLEDs are experiences some loss of brightness after just 1,000 hours. Too new for me to jump in.

I'm hoping when 4k content starts coming out I won't miss the plasma. Wife thinks I'm crazy. She likes the new tv better.

There is a look about LEDs I just am not fond of.

Plasmas are pretty much a dead tech though. Won't be made in 4k and many companies are no longer manufacturing.

Matter if fact, mine was just supposed to be repaired. Got a call a week later saying the part is no longer being made so I could swap it out for another or pick a more expensive tv and get a credit then pay the difference.

Some went. With the ultra-high def

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:05 pm 

Holy shit those we're great!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

+1 man.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:41 am 

Those are great. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:04 pm 

If you think those are good, you should read about the Haribo Sugar Free Gummy Bears (5 pound bag):

http://www.amazon.com/Haribo-SUGAR-Classic-Gummi-Bears/product-reviews/B006J1FBLM/ref=dpx_acr_txt?showViewpoints=1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:15 pm 

The Pierogi wrote:
If you think those are good, you should read about the Haribo Sugar Free Gummy Bears (5 pound bag):

http://www.amazon.com/Haribo-SUGAR-Classic-Gummi-Bears/product-reviews/B006J1FBLM/ref=dpx_acr_txt?showViewpoints=1

Fucking hilarious :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:43 pm 

955876 wrote:

Bad thing about plasma is you can't play video games or you risk burning the image into the screen. And what I've learned is that over time because of the immense heat generated by plasma the TV becomes darker as it gets older. Not the same nice lighted picture it was when I first brought it home 3 years ago. I don't have an LED yet. Next on the list TV type I plan to buy though.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:52 pm 

Anyone have any experience with those curved screen ultra-High-Def TVs? I saw a commercial for one the other day and couldn't figure out the appeal.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:29 pm 

Rotflmao thanks for the link!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:10 pm 

The Pierogi wrote:
Anyone have any experience with those curved screen ultra-High-Def TVs? I saw a commercial for one the other day and couldn't figure out the appeal.

I talked with a guy at Best Buy about it. He said the curve allows for better viewing from angles when not sitting directly in front of the TV.

Also said that visually it helps make the TV appear larger.

Just passing along what I was told.

However, when the delivery guys came with my TV I was talking to him about those and asked if he's delivering a lot of them and he said he actually has been picking them up because of returns and people not happy with them.

For what it's worth.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:13 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
955876 wrote:

Bad thing about plasma is you can't play video games or you risk burning the image into the screen. And what I've learned is that over time because of the immense heat generated by plasma the TV becomes darker as it gets older. Not the same nice lighted picture it was when I first brought it home 3 years ago. I don't have an LED yet. Next on the list TV type I plan to buy though.

When I bought my plasma I was told the half life was like 10 years or 80,000 hours before that would happen.

Burn in within 2 years and I babied that thing. Always on people for leaving shit paused, having the tv on and not watching it etc.

A Blue Ray movie + plasma is an awesome combo though. There is a look about film on an LCD/LED that I'm just not fond of. Something I'll have to get used to I suppose as Plasma is going to be gone soon.

I do have to say, Steelers game looked amazing yesterday on the 65" LED.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:34 pm 

955876 wrote:
The Pierogi wrote:

I talked with a guy at Best Buy about it. He said the curve allows for better viewing from angles when not sitting directly in front of the TV.

Also said that visually it helps make the TV appear larger.

Just passing along what I was told.

However, when the delivery guys came with my TV I was talking to him about those and asked if he's delivering a lot of them and he said he actually has been picking them up because of returns and people not happy with them.

For what it's worth.

I had guessed the viewing angles thing might have been part of the rationale, but I don't really see the appeal. Seems like more of a gimmick than anything.

I'll probably be due for a new TV in the next year or two, so I'm sure 4K Ultra High Def will be more common, and hopefully less expensive, at that point.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:53 pm 

In two years they definitely should.

What will be interesting is to see where OLED is in two years.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:38 pm 

I'm a bit home theater crazy...to the point I had Kevin Miller (a calibration guru) calibrate my Pioneer Kuro Plasma...which is still arguably the best consumer TV made even 5 years later. Plasma is miles ahead of LED...which is actually just LCD tweaked. LED viewing angles are poor, they don't handle motion well, and contrast ratio is bad. They only excel for video games and bright rooms.

Some LED are good if they have local dimming but that is pretty rare. If you need 4k right away, you're only choice is led. However if you can wait, OLED is the way to go. LG has one coming out this winter for 7k. I believe it is 65 inches.

Curved TVs are a gimmick literally started by a few Japanese execs brainstorming how to differentiate. They are terrible and distort the picture. They will die a quick death.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:03 pm 

Agreed Franco. My wife and kids think I'm crazy when I sat on the couch and told them I was seriously thinking bout taking back the brand new TV I just had delivered.

I've argued with my father in law and some others over the years bout Plasma vs LCD/LED.

My new TV looks awesome but I'm hung up on the plasma look. I have a couple weeks. Going to watch some blue rays this week. If I hate the look the TV may just go back for a plasma

Problem is, I looked for Panasonic (supposedly the gold standard of Plasma) and they re totally out of the market. Not sure I want to buy another Samsung plasma as my first one didn't last for shit.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:09 pm 

955876 wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:
955876 wrote:

When I bought my plasma I was told the half life was like 10 years or 80,000 hours before that would happen.

Burn in within 2 years and I babied that thing. Always on people for leaving shit paused, having the tv on and not watching it etc.

A Blue Ray movie + plasma is an awesome combo though. There is a look about film on an LCD/LED that I'm just not fond of. Something I'll have to get used to I suppose as Plasma is going to be gone soon.

I do have to say, Steelers game looked amazing yesterday on the 65" LED.

I think I know what you mean by the look of LED. A friend of mine bought on when they first came out a few years ago. We were watching the movie Hoosiers and I immediately noticed the difference. Its hard to describe, but its almost like you're watching the movie sitting on the set of the movie. It almost looks fake. Like I said, hard to describe. But I did hear one time there was a way to change that look under the settings on the tv.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:44 pm 

That fake look is exactly what I'm talking about.

My wife thinks it looks better that way. But she's a chick so what does she know about how a tv is supposed to look... :o

I'm torn and frustrated on this. Didn't want to go plasma again because they are being phased out but not super happy on the shit I just got and spent good $$$ on.

Going back to BB today to see what they have in terms of plasma. Not going to switch if all they have is a lower end plasma that's an older model they are still trying to unload.

I might jump on a Panasonic if they still have one since they aren't being made any longer.

Decisions decisions....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:06 pm 

My damn plasma went down at noon on New Year's Day as I was cooking a feast to watch football. I was so pissed I bought an LED and your right, when I watch movies it looks fake. Its like watching some bad soap opera. Sports seems fine but I prefer plasma all around.

I think you can understand my anger with the plasma going down on New Year's Day.